Please don't release another upgrade in a hurry.

RDH
RDH
Community Member

Love your software and use it many times a day – and will continue to do so – but please don't rush to 1Password 5!

This has to have been one of the most stressful, time consuming, unreliable upgrades I have ever experienced. Failed to full import my data from 1Password 3 (although this wasn't immediately apparent until I went to retrieve info from a note that was blank), no straight forward way of restoring from a 1Password 3 backup, in fact I spent a couple of hours convinced I'd lost them for good as they are in a different location to the new 1Password 4 backups. Once I finally cracked it on one Mac I then had to sync across another Mac, iPhone and iPad. Nightmare. I appreciate that 1Password is a complexed program but I thought the MAS was supposed to be 1 click upgrade with no stress.

20,000 beta testers and still a list of known issues as long as my arm! Several forum posts requesting help with none forthcoming. 6 hours of my Friday night I'd rather have spent with my family that I'll never get back. Thanks!!

Comments

• Pitaq
    Pitaq
    Community Member

I completely agree. This is has been far from an easy upgrade. It feels as if Marketing set a shipping deadline to hit the end-of-year buying frenzy and Engineering shipped whatever they had when that date arrived.

I'm going to try and return to version 3 as I still can't get version 4 to sync with other systems through Google Drive - a feature that worked fine on version 3.

• Hi guys,

I'm sorry to hear that your upgrades wasn't smooth, we're working around the clock to fix all the issues that've been reported. There'll be several updates coming soon to help us get out of the pain growths right now.

but I thought the MAS was supposed to be 1 click upgrade with no stress.

MAS is just a way to sell apps and release updates all in one app, it doesn't do anything to prevent bugs from showing up even after Apple review the apps.

Majority of our folks have reported smooth upgrades but it looks like for some, it wasn't. For those, we're working on fixing them.

@Pitaq

I'm going to try and return to version 3 as I still can't get version 4 to sync with other systems through Google Drive - a feature that worked fine on version 3.

Have you reported this to us elsewhere? We can't fix what we don't know about. Are you using Folder Sync to sync your data to Google Drive? Did the file show up on both Macs?

Please give us more information, so we can figure this out.

• RDH
    RDH
    Community Member

MAS is intended to be a simple way to handle purchases and upgrades. It is the developers job to ensure the bugs are not present when it's seeded for release and it would appear that this has not happened. The number of serious bugs that you have admitted exist and have been demonstrated/proven suggests that although you say the majority of users have had a smooth upgrade there is a good chance that they are in act blissfully unaware of issues that will hit them later when they discover they are missing data and their devices aren't syncing correctly, or even worse that their data has been compromised.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member

I would like to add my 50 cents worth here. It seems pretty obvious that there must be numerous problems with this software.

My evidence?? 1Password 4 will not work on either of my Macs..I have sent at least 2 emails and posted here on the forum. Plus sent the "crash" reports given by 1PW when the glitch occurs on my 2 Macs.

Zero response to the emails...did have Mike pose a couple questions...but that was on Saturday and I am still limping along here with absolutely NO HELP so far. I know bugs happen...I know their tech support must be swamped by numerous emails and complaints, and that MUST be why I have not received the help I need.

In my humble opinion, this is a very buggy version that was pushed out the door far too soon. Yes...I would rather have waited an extra month or 2 for a truly good working new release. Yes...in future, I will only upgrade on 1 Mac until I satisfy myself that I will not get burned.

Part of the frustration people will experience when their 1PW is via the MAS, is Apple's approval system delaying the updates that Mike has mentioned above. And unhappily, I am in that boat right now. Of course I have no clue if my problem will be cured by an update...

• @VirgilBoy,

I am sorry for the delay with the response. There are close to 1 million Mac users of 1Password and we currently have several thousand emails in the queue. We are working on replying to each one of them as fast as possible.

I am also sorry for the bad upgrade experience. We did our best to find and fix as many issues as possible before the release. We'll make sure all newly found issues are resolved asap.

• Eckius
    Eckius
    Community Member

AgileBits did want to ship 1P4 absolutely before Mavericks came out. But now it seems clear that this deadline has been a little bit too ambitious.

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member

I also agree that Agilebits probably wanted to get 1P4 out before Mavericks was released along with its new iCloud keychain feature which was probably considered a threat to potential upgrade/new sales to the layman/casual user customer base. While Apple promises a hassle free Mavericks iCloud keychain syncing experience between all Apple devices, one thing Apple neglects to highlight is that they will be forced to give local/national government agencies your keychains upon issuance of a "lawful order". Not to mention that Apple has never been know for being in the vanguard of either computer security or cloud based services. Ironically, one of the important differentiating features Agilebits has to offer its potential and current customers -a non-cloud local based syncing solution - is one they have continuously botched in implementation. First Wi-Fi sync which was withdrawn only to be followed by a half hearted usb sync method which has been subsequently pulled in favor of yet another Wi-Fi approach that is to be implemented at some indeterminate future time.

If Agilebits was truly sorry and apologetic for the inconvenience and frustration this upgrade experience was causing its customers, it would make it more clear in its advertising that Wi-Fi sync is coming but is "not back" and will be only truly available when implemented into its companion iPhone/iPad product. Then its users can be better informed to decide whether to wait and stick with the current version with usb sync , or install a buggy 1P4 with no current local sync capability. Agilebits presently relies on users to wade through the fine print in ancillary documents to discover this and other limitations. The "Known Issues for 1Password for Mac" thread on this forum was last updated on 25 Sept despite the fact that numerous bugs have been subsequently been acknowledged to exist since its release. Not everyone has the time to wade through hundreds of forum threads to discover the current limitations of this release.

• @Neocybersailor,

We submitted 1Password 4.3 for iOS last night. This version includes Wi-Fi sync support.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. We do our best and I know at times it is not enough.

• connaryscott
    connaryscott
    Community Member

from reading this forum, I will definitely hold off from upgrading. When DropBox sync stopped working on my iphone due to being held hostage for more money and then these nightmares, clearly this software is too complex and will obviously lead to being held hostage again!

This discussion has been closed.