How to completely uninstall 1Password 4?

ahankins
ahankins
Community Member

Hi-
I'm having issues syncing with Dropbox between the Windows & Mac versions, my PC running version 1.0.9.336 & Mac running the MAS version of 1Password 4. The changes sync successfully to Dropbox with the Windows version (verified by loading 1Password Anywhere) but on my Mac, it does not pick up the changes.

I was digging around in the ~/Library folder looking for the preference files to delete & I deleted everything 1Password related in the ~/Library/Containers folder. The issue still is not fixed but I now get a "Disk I/O Error" every time I try to add a login item.

Before I did that, I had tried turning off Dropbox sync & select to delete the data file (I have a backup) but that did not work. It also did not delete the data file & 1P would reopen to the same vault.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm dead in the water now.

Thanks!

Comments

• @ahankins,

Where are you getting "Disk I/O Error" from? Are you using 1Password 4 for Mac after removing its folders in ~/Library/Containers?

Please try to hold down the Control key and then select 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini menu. The 1Password mini is accessing the database and I am guessing that it no longer can do that. After you restart 1Password, it should create a new database in the ~/Library/Containers folder.

If you have issues syncing with Dropbox, please read this post:
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/87235/#Comment_87235

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the quick reply. So, yes I did remove the folders in ~/Library/Containers which caused the Disk I/O Error but your suggestion of quitting 1Password while holding CTRL did fix that problem.

I have deleted the 1password data file from Dropbox & emptied the trash but for some reason when I launch 1P on the Mac, it still is accessing my database somehow... Also every time the program launches, it thinks it's the first time setup & asks me if I want to set a time out, use rich icons, etc.

My 1P on Windows now launches & asks me if I want to create a database or locate an existing (which is expected because the data file is now deleted) Also, there is no file when I login to Dropbox.com.

Thoughts?

• @ahankins,

What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to start with the brand new database without any data?

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

Ultimately I would like to use my existing database & have it successfully sync between my Mac & Windows computers, the sync was broken when I upgraded the Mac to version 4 from 3. Since I was playing around with things (& messed up) trying to get it to work, I wanted to have both computers start from a blank slate then import my database & test the syncing. My "1Password.agilekeychain" is stored in ~/Dropbox/1Password/ folder so that should be fine.

From what I can see at this point I have 2 issues, the Windows version is blank which is fine but the Mac still loads my database but I don't know where it's coming from as the file has been deleted & trash emptied. I also quit 1P by holding CTRL. The 2nd issue is every time 1P is launched, it brings up the 'welcome' screen again.

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

Also, now all options under the "Sync" tab in preferences are greyed out.

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

Revised: I was able to import my DB & everything is syncing correctly now. The only remaining issue is that every time I launch 1P on the Mac, it forgets all of my preferences & walks me through the first time setup.

I know you guys are super busy & I appreciate all the help.

• @ahankins,

Great to hear that you solved the syncing issue!

I have seen the problem with preferences once when 1Password was in beta but couldn't figure out where it is coming from. Are you able to change any of the 1Password preferences and have them saved after the restart?

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

No, everything reverts back to normal. For example, I set to display an item count in the sidebar, not conceal passwords & change the default window size. Everything reverts when the app is relaunched. (even if I CTRL quit the app). It also prompts with the welcome screen. It's as if 1P is unable to write to the app permissions file, like the file is read only or something... This specific issue didn't happen until I started troubleshooting the sync issue today.

Also of note, I have 2 user accounts on the Mac, the other user account works fine.

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

I just wanted to give an update that the issue mentioned above is resolved. I tried restarting the computer again & it is working perfectly. Thank you so much for your help, please close this issue as I know you guys are swamped. The product is wonderful, you guys did an excellent job. Keep it up!

• Thank you very much!

This discussion has been closed.