Cross Platform Synch Via Dropbox, Mountain Lion, IOS7, Windows 8.1

Options

Being follicly challenged, I would really prefer not to pull out what little hair I have left.......

However 1Password4 is driving me there......

What I want to do is really quite simple....I want to use 1Password4 (using Dropbox as the synch mechanism) to sync passwords, logins, secure notes etc etc between my Mac(s), iPhone, iPad and the Windows 8.1 that I occasionally am forced to use.....

Now I am not new to 1PW and have been using it since pre v2 days........

However I cannot find a simple explanation of how to do this.

Agilebits, has got the taking my money bit down quite good, and I was easily able to part with a bit less than $50 to get the 1PW4 Windows/Mac license.....No that is not a cheap shop, it is surprising how many supposedly cross platform products do not even get that bit right, so Kudos o Agile Bits for being able to carry on surviving, but now.......

How, on one sheet of paper (or a single HowTo) can I (or anyone else) use Dropbox to synch Mac and Windows and IOS.

Then I will be able to start moaning about the Chome Extension cross platform

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

On Windows, it is really quite easy. Assuming your agilekeychain is already in your Dropbox, you simply click on File > Open and then select the agilekeychain in your Dropbox. Otherwise, you launch 1Password, unlock it, click on File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) and then click the "Move to Dropbox" button.

Mac: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Features/Sync/dropbox.html

iOS: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/Dropbox/dropbox-mobile-use-data-file.html

• racgordon
    racgordon
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, now that the caffiene has done its work I think that I see the problem........

In 1PW4 Mac the keychain is actually a package which Mac sees as as a Package and thus things Aga a file. Windows however sees it as a folder structure.........

And I close to the issue?

• DocPMD
    DocPMD
    Community Member
    Options

This isn't working at all. I had for a very long time been using 1PW on Mac, PC, iPhone and iPad and all synced beautifully. I made the mistake of upgrading to 1PW4 for the Mac and everything fell apart. Started with the Chrome extension problem - fixed that. But now syncing is totally not working.

After upgrading on the Mac I opened 1PW on the PC, entered my password, and all that I got was a blank window.

Then I opened 1PW on my iPhone and got an error with the Dropbox sync saying something to the effect that I had to merge the data. I hit the button to merge and iPhone was happy. Also, as a result of doing that merge, all of the passwords suddenly showed up on the PC.

But it is still broken. I added a new item using 1PW4 on the Mac and it doesn't show up on the iPhone or 1PW for the PC.

I can provide more system details, if necessary, but in a nutshell I am using OS 10.8.5, Windows 7, and iOS 7 with Dropbox sync.

Very disappointed.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I made the mistake of upgrading to 1PW4 for the Mac (...) now syncing is totally not working

Have you followed these steps? http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Features/Sync/dropbox.html

• DocPMD
    DocPMD
    Community Member
    Options

No, I didn't follow those steps. I didn't need to. I was already configured to use Dropbox. I double-checked the preferences and 1PW4 is syncing with the keychain file in my Dropbox.

• DocPMD
    DocPMD
    Community Member
    Options

I guess I'm not going to get any help on this . . .?

• drew289
    drew289
    Community Member
    Options

I guess I'm not going to get any help on this . . .?

I hope someone comes up with an answer. I've been a 1Password user for a long while and I'm having the same sync problem as you. I did post my problem in the iPhone, iPad... forum before reading your post here.

• drew289
    drew289
    Community Member
    Options

I figured it out and it is working for me in Mac desktop, iPhone, Macbook in OSX & Windows7. My latest 1Password data resides on my Mac desktop. I made a backup of the file and then deleted it from Dropbox. In preferences I also disassociated synch with Dropbox. Then I created a new association with Dropbox and noticed that now the application creates a 1Password folder with 1Passwordagilekeychain inside. Previously 1Passwordagilekeychain would be in Dropbox outside of any 1Password folder.

Then I disassociated my iPhone 1Password from Dropbox and then synched again with the newly created 1Password folder in Dropbox. The updated data shows in the iPhone now. Did the same to the Macbook running OSX and it data is up to date. Bootcamped into Windows7 and reassociated 1Password 1.0.9.337 with Dropbox and it too displays the latest data.

Don't know if the missing 1Password folder in Dropbox was preventing all devices from updating to the latest data but it seems to be working for me now.

• DocPMD
    DocPMD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. Sucks to have to go through all of that, but in the end if it works I guess it's worth it. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DocPMD,

I apologize for the delay in response here - we have been busier than usual with the release of 1Password 4 for Mac. Were you able to get synced up using @drew289's suggestion? Often resetting sync (while slightly tedious) can be the best solution.

If you are still experiencing difficulties, I'd be more than happy to help!

• DocPMD
    DocPMD
    Community Member
    Options

The suggestion worked. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So glad to hear that @DocPMD!

This discussion has been closed.