New chrome extension

Dmitry Gavrilyuk
Dmitry Gavrilyuk
Community Member
edited March 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

New chrome extension doesn't work with 1.0.9.333.

Comments

• Roadstar
    Roadstar
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue as my Chromes sync their extensions via Google. So now the question is that will it take extensively long (i.e. months/years instead of days/weeks) for 1Password for Windows to become compatible with the new extension? It is frustrating enough having two versions of the extension in my Chromes as I use a mix of Macs and Windows machines. And since it's five computers I'm switching back and forth between, I really wouldn't like to give up on the extension sync. Will there be a solution soon?

• Ivan Benito Garcia
    Ivan Benito Garcia
    Community Member

Same problem... I have the two extensions installed in chrome in my PC... :(

• jfgreco
    jfgreco
    Community Member

Same. Mac at home and windows at work!

• Darrell
    Darrell
    Community Member

Yep, logged in to report the same issue. Mac at home, Windows at work.The syncing that Chome does with the extensions definitely messed with it a bit. I finally got it to work at work by installing both, but it's a bit flaky and I'm sure I'll have issues at home on my Mac now as well.

• emerick
    emerick
    Community Member

Same problem here. To work around it for now, I disabled extenson sync in Chrome, uninstalled the 4.x extension on Windows, and re-installed the 3.x extension on Windows. Seems fine for the short term, but it'd be nice to be able to run the 4.x extension on both machines.

• mlapida
    mlapida
    Community Member

The is crucial to me. I really need this fixed.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Our version 4 extension for Chrome is NOT compatible with Windows yet. Please turn off Chrome extension syncing.

• danodonovan
    danodonovan
    Community Member

Gragh - that is not a solution! Just shelled out for 1Password 4 on the mac and now everything has broken. Seriously unimpressed, had no one tested this?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

and now everything has broken

Nothing is broken. The problem is with Chrome Sync. It syncs a Mac-only extension to Windows. Please disable Chrome Sync, and you should be OK.

1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click on the wrench icon, located in the top-right corner in the browser toolbar.
    3. Click on "Settings".
    4. If you see a "Sign in to Chrome" button, then Chrome Sync is already disabled.
    5. Click on "Advanced Sync Settings".
    6. In the "Advanced Sync Settings" pop-up window, select the drop down menu and select "Choose What To Sync".
    7. Uncheck "Extensions".
    8. Click on "OK".

Now remove 1Password 4 (for Mac) from your web browser (on Windows):

1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click on the wrench icon, located in the top-right corner in the browser toolbar.
    3. Click on "Tools > Extensions".
    4. Click on the trash can icon by 1Password 4.
    5. A confirmation dialog appears. Click on "Remove".
  • thivi
    thivi
    Community Member

Bonjour,
    J’ai un gros problème avec l’extension pour Chrome. J’ai installé la version 4 de 1password sur mon Mac avec l’extension qui va avec. Mais, mon souci c’est que cette extension n’est pas compatible avec la version v3 que j’utilise sur mon PC avec Windows 8.
    Quand peut-on espérer une solution à ce problème ?

Hello,
    I have a big problem with the extension for Chromium. I installed(settled) the version 4 of 1password on my Mac with the extension that goes with it. But, my concern(marigold) it is that this extension is not compatible with the version v3 which I use on my PC with Windows 8.
    When can we hope for a solution to this problem ?

• Mono
    Mono
    Community Member

I'm definitely feeling like a second-class citizen here... I bought 1Password because it was the best solution for syncing my passwords between my Windows desktop, my Macbook and my iPod, but now I can't Dropbox sync with my iPod (since it runs iOS 5) and I have to cripple my browser to keep the Windows functionality working. At this rate, it looks like I would have been better off with LastPass!

• Roadstar
    Roadstar
    Community Member

I'm definitely feeling like a second-class citizen here... I bought 1Password because it was the best solution for syncing my passwords between my Windows desktop, my Macbook and my iPod, but now I can't Dropbox sync with my iPod (since it runs iOS 5) and I have to cripple my browser to keep the Windows functionality working. At this rate, it looks like I would have been better off with LastPass!

I have the same feelings and I'm actually in the process of migrating to LastPass. 1Password has become a current Mac + iOS tool and my arsenal includes also Windows, Android, Windows Phone, Linux, and older Mac devices. I'm actually typing this on a late 2006 MacBook running Lion (the latest supported one for this machine, which is still in quite a usable condition after an SSD upgrade), and now even my Macs can't use the same extension, let alone e.g. my work machines running Windows, and I'd actually need to disable extension sync, which affects all the other non-1Password extensions as well! Something that previously made my life so much easier is now creating a major hassle for me.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Eventually, the extension will be identical on Mac and Windows. Please hang in there.

• danodonovan
    danodonovan
    Community Member

Nothing is broken.

How so? Steps to repeat:

1. Everything is ok, iPhone, Mac and Windows running 1Password and extensions

2. Purchase upgrade for OSX

3. Install upgrade

4. OSX plugin breaks, install new plugin

5. Windows plugin breaks, install old plugin (repeat)

6. Get told that this isn't a problem, nothing is broken and that I have to change my workflow to get around your bugs!

As a paying customer, I don't appreciate being told things are fine and that I am wrong! Seriously, check my point about beta testing - we shouldn't have to pay $25 to discover your product isn't working as sold.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

@danodonovan I apologize for the confusion. The problem is with Chrome syncing a Mac-only extension to Windows. Please disable Chrome Sync for your extensions, and everything should be OK. Eventually, our extension will be identical on Mac and Windows.

• Roadstar
    Roadstar
    Community Member

Eventually, the extension will be identical on Mac and Windows. Please hang in there.

Well, it would be nice to know even some timeframe for this synchronization. If the full-fledged Android app is any indicator, I've run out of patience long before the identical extension ships.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Roadstar,

Thanks for your feedback! As one of the world's most impatient people, I can certainly understand your frustration: waiting is not fun. However, I just can't give you a timeframe. There are too many factors involved in a major release, many of which are beyond our control. It would be completely unfair to promise a timeframe that ends up being impossible due to extenuating circumstances.

What I can tell you that our developers are working hard, both on Android and Windows, and we really do appreciate your patience. :)

• bzbwoi
    bzbwoi
    Community Member

I am very patient. I've been using 1Password for a couple years now and have always promoted its use. I work constantly between both my Macs and PCs. I hope you can truly fix this issue and keep your loyal users happy REAL soon. I would hate to make the switch on this note. :(

• danodonovan
    danodonovan
    Community Member

@bzbwoi ditto. Moderators implying that paying users are wrong (1PW isn't broken - it's just that this cross-platform 'feature' isn't working yet) and then to passively imply that we're "impatient" when we just want something that we paid for is getting stupid.

I don't know how cross-platform functionality could have been missed in the beta testing program, unless it was never intended to work - in which case we've been miss-sold.

@megan Can you comment on Agilebits' policy on refunds?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

moderators implying that paying users are wrong

I never said you were wrong. Moreover, I apologized for my reply.

then to passively imply that we're impatient

Megan never said anything like that. She said that she herself is impatient.

how cross-platform functionality could have been missed in the beta testing program

It is not missed, but we did underestimate the impact of Chrome Sync. Please disable Chrome Sync for your extensions (not necessarily Chrome Sync altogether), and you should be OK. This is a temporary workaround.

can you comment on Agilebits' policy on refunds

https://agilebits.com/home/money_back_guarantee

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Having the same issue. Own both 1PW for Mac and 1PW for Win and everything is messed up. Much as I love 1PW I am not at all happy the company seems to have left a whole segment of users without basic functions. I know you are a small company, but that is no excuse for not covering the basic browsers if you're going to sell to Mac and Windows platforms.

For me, it appears I can not use 1PW on my Win machine at all now. I keep trying to "go back" to the old Win Chrome extension and it won't work. I've tried the "workaround" above several times. It won't work. I can use 1PW for Mac on my Macbook Pro with Chrome, but no more syncing on my Win machine (Chrome extension deleted entirely until a fix for this is done?), so no 1PW on Windows for me.

I'll second what the guy above said: I REALLY need this fixed NOW.

Ditto what Roadstar said above, too, re: migrating to Last Pass. ("I have the same feelings and I'm actually in the process of migrating to LastPass .... Something that previously made my life so much easier is now creating a major hassle for me.")

• davedgd
    davedgd
    Community Member

Disabling Chrome extension sync is not a solution. This breaks extension syncing for everything else, which is ridiculous. Just put an option into the 1password extension to disable it within Chrome (i.e., make it non-functional, but loaded), and then it won't be necessary to do all the other nonsense proposed here.

The biggest joke in all of this to me is that the obnoxious nag message is completely unnecessary, steals focus, and was probably more effort to code than a simple button to disable the extension's functionality when running on Windows (which you could even go ahead and detect from the browser).

• Tim Wilkins
    Tim Wilkins
    Community Member

Guys, I'm sorry, but this is a pretty big deal. If you think that breaking the Windows-Mac relationship (that you tout as a major part of your product) isn't a major problem, I think you don't understand your customer. Either that, or some of your customers are just using the wrong product.

Also, suggesting that the fix is to disable chrome sync is a solution to the problem that you created by not understanding how people use your product is incredibly short-sighted and self-centered. It extends the scope of your broken product to where it affects not only other programs, but other systems.

If you didn't see this coming, you need better testing protocols, better testers, and a better understanding of your users. If you did see this coming and you aren't going to support Windows like you support Mac, you need to officially drop support and let Windows users find a different product.

• emerick
    emerick
    Community Member

@danodonovan I apologize for the confusion. The problem is with Chrome syncing a Mac-only extension to Windows.

Beg to differ, the problem is that an extension that doesn't work on all supported platforms was released. ;-)

• DanielHill
    DanielHill
    Community Member

I agree with the last four posts. Agilebits are disgraceful trying to place the blame on Chrome, when it's their poor design decision to split out the 1Password 3 and 4 extensions that is to blame.

The easy solution for customers would have been for Agilebits to have ONE official extension, updated via the Chrome Store that attempts to connect to 1Password 4. If that fails, fall back to connecting to 1Password 3. ONE extension that can be synced across ALL Chrome instances. Maybe a pain for the developers, but they need to deal with it and suck it up. I'm a developer too -- sometimes you have to actually put the customer first before your fantasy refactoring.

Now, I have to maintain a copy of 1Password 1.0.9.333 on Windows, which is the last version before the FREQUENT modal popups making work IMPOSSIBLE on Windows (no, 337 or whatever DID NOT FIX THIS), putting me at risk from potential security issues. I have the beta 1Password 3 extension off the Agilebits website manually added to my Windows instances, and 1Password 4 extension replicated via Chrome Sync.

A complete pain in the arse, not helped by Agilebits flagrant dismissal of the issues.

I'll tell you what, while I've already locked myself into the 1Password system and there's no point in throwing the apps out (the Mac and iOS apps are fantastic to be fair), I doubt I'll ever purchase another upgrade or whatever.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I'm hearing you, and I'm working around the clock trying to migrate the 1P4 browser extension to Windows. Pretty soon, I will have a beta version and you can re-enable Chrome Sync for your extensions. Please hang in there.

• Tim Wilkins
    Tim Wilkins
    Community Member

Thank you, Stefan. I appreciate your responsiveness. I hope this can be resolved quickly so that you can resume your normal dev schedule.

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

Thanks Stefan. I appreciate your response as well. First world problems and all, but this is really causing some grief around here, workflow-wise. :)

• Arjan van Kesteren
    Arjan van Kesteren
    Community Member

I'm on multiple Macs at home, with one Windows family laptop. So what you're telling me is to forgo syncing between Chrome installs (something I rely on for my Macs) until you've sorted out the problems with Win/Mac extensions? I think not. Luckily I don't have to work with the Windows laptop that often, but that incompatibility message sure is getting annoying. And since I can't disable or delete the extension from just the Windows installation, I guess I'm screwed for the time being. Thanks a bunch.

This discussion has been closed.