Unable to unlock 1password data - over Dropbox

Options

I'm receiving the error "Your 1Password Data could not be unlocked with the password you provided".

To eliminate the obvious: I've retried my password using a different keyboard layout, and using the built-in keyboard within the 1Password Windows Application. Nothing worked.

From the beginning:

I purchased a licensed copy of 1Password 4 on my Mac running 10.8, created a new vault in my Dropbox directory ~/Dropbox/1password/1password.agilekeychain . Created new logins, etc and everything worked fine.

Downloaded 1Password 1.0.9.335 for Windows (Trial) to make sure I can open the vault created by my Mac. When I attempt to "Open an existing 1password data folder", I point the application to the 1password.agilekeychain file located in my Dropbox Folder (G:/Dropbox/1password/1Password.agilekeychain). It detects the data fine, but gives me Invalid Password Error above.

I can still access my data on my Mac just fine, but not on my Windows machine.

Comments

• amoreno
    amoreno
    Community Member
    Options

I did notice that if I try to restore data from a backup, it automatically creates a folder in "My Documents" called "1password". Although this folder has no data in it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @amoreno,

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties getting your data synced up, and I'll do my best to get things sorted just as soon as possible.

I'd like you to try changing your Master Password on your Mac, wait for all the changes to sync via Dropbox (make sure the blue box icon has a green checkmark), and then try this new password on your Windows machine. Please ensure this password has only standard letters and numbers (special and cyrillic characters are not supported.)

Let me know if that kicks things into gear for you :)

• amoreno
    amoreno
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

The password change didn't work.

But I did manage to get 1password syncing correctly by doing the following:

Uninstalling 1password from Windows completely.
    Download new installation of 1password for Windows, and created a new vault.
    Imported all entries from old 1password vault.
    Synced w/ Dropbox
    Uninstall 1password 4 from my Mac completely (removing all caches, application support, etc)
    Restarted Mac
    Installed 1password 4 from Mac Store, and for some reason it wouldn't open my existing vault.
    I uninstalled 1password 4 from my Mac again (removed all caches, application support, etc)
    Restarted Mac
    Installed 1password4 from the website, and THEN it prompted me to use existing dropbox data.

So maybe something is up with the Mac Store installation?

On a side note: Will I have to purchase a seperate 1password license for each and every individual device I use? I have over 5 that I'd like to sync w/ 1password (Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, Nexus7)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @amoreno,

I'm glad to hear you got things synced up ... although that definitely sounds like it was a bit more of an involved process than we usually like to see. Hopefully things will continue to behave for you from now on :)

As to your question about licenses, 1Password licenses are platform-specific, so you will need to make separate purchases for Windows and iOS. The iOS app is universal, so one purchase will be good for all iOS 6+ devices. You can find it in the App Store here. As far as the desktop software goes, we offer bundling deals for Mac and Windows so you certainly won't have to pay full price for the Windows license if you already have the Mac program. When you are ready to purchase a Windows license, please email support (support@ agilebits .com) with a copy of your Mac App Store receipt for 1Password 4 and we'll create a coupon for a discount on your Windows purchase. Our Windows Phone app is currently just a reader, but you can get it free here.

I hope this answers your questions, but if you need anything further, we're here for you!

• amoreno
    amoreno
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers Megan,

Emailing support now for a Windows license.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @amoreno,

We've been a bit busy lately with the launch of 1Password 4, so I hope you'll forgive us if our response times are a bit longer than ideal. Rest assured we're all putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy reply times.

If you do end up waiting longer than you would like, you can send me a private message with the email address you used to email support and I can keep an eye out for your message :)

This discussion has been closed.