WiFi Sync problems

luke1970
luke1970
Community Member

Hello,

I use 1PW 4.0.2b1 (402001) on Mac and 1PW 4.3 on iPod touch with iOS 6.3.
I will use WiFi sync, but the WiFi secret from Mac is always wrong when I put in on 1PW 4.3 iOS.
What's problem?

Greetings, Bernd

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Bernd ( @luke1970 )

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty setting up Wi-Fi sync. We've noticed that the secrets can be a bit tricky. Please make sure you are including any spaces in the secret. Try generating a new secret and see if it works now.

Our developers are working to make this process smoother - if you're still unable to get the secret typed in correctly, please let me know :)

• luke1970
    luke1970
    Community Member

Hello Megan,

It works now. I don't know, why, but it works. :-)

• RichardG
    RichardG
    Community Member

Wi-fi sync problems. I have V4.0.2 on Mac and V3.7.2 on iPAD & iPod. When I attempt to sync both apps are providing secret codes, but no one is listening. Bug?

• Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member

You're using the old iOS version. You need v4.3 for iOS, which is a separate app to v3.

• Rapidisimo
    Rapidisimo
    Community Member

I was having the same issue. Since the secrets have spaces I decided to add a space after the last word and then it worked.
    Not sure if that's the solution but it worked.
    Cheers

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RichardG,

@Tezcatlipoca is right, the Wi-Fi sync has been completely re-designed between 1Password 3 and 1Password 4, so you will need to be using the same version on both your Mac and your iOS devices to sync via Wi-Fi. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

@Rapidisimo,

We have heard of similar situations from several users, and are currently looking into ways to correct this bug. In the meantime, we do appreciate your patience - and I'm glad to hear you managed to make it work :)

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member

Wifi sync works for me (between Macbook Pro and iPhone 5. The other sync options (iCloud, Dropbox, File Sharing) claim to be working, but the data does not change on the other device. (Sync preference on Mac says, "Syncing by iCloud" AND "Never synced"!

A 1Password 3 user, I was invited to participate in the 1Password 4 beta test. Then I accepted the invitation to quit the beta and download 1Password 4 - currently at 4.0.2 (not 4.0.3). Have I been grandfathered into 1Password 4, or am I on some kind of a temporary status - which includes non-functional sync? Are you all working on a fix? (Have not seen any moderator posts in the forums on sync issues saying your are working on same. Would be good to know.) Or am going to have to pull out the plastic again?

Will be curious how all this will intersect with the Mavericks keychain coming this Tuesday.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WFA,

I'm glad to hear that Wi-Fi sync is working for you! At this point, we are recommending that you only use 1 sync solution at a time - we've found they tend to run into each other. If you'd like some help trouble-shooting one of the other sync solutions though, we would be happy to help :)

As for being grandfathered in to 1Password 4, we do have a generous upgrade policy in place, including free upgrades for all users who purchased 1Password 3 for Mac in 2013 - the details are listed in our blog post here.

And I can promise you that our developers are hard at work ensuring sync gets running smoothly.

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member

Thank you, Megan. Since I bought 1P3 in 2011, I had to pay for an upgrade. I reinstalled 1P4 and now have both wi-fi and iCloud sync working. Tried shutting off Dropbox and File Sharing on the iPhone, but the latter shows up as selected when logging in again.

In testing transfers, iCloud can be 'asked' to sync immediately by quitting the app and logging in again. However, in two tests it took only about ten seconds for the iCloud changes to show up in whichever device was the 'recipient'.

On my iPhone's 'Manage Storage' screen under 'Documents & Data' there are two "onepassword" files (a little over 400KB each). If I click on one, then click 'Edit,' it threatens to delete everything from all my devices. Do I need both? (I dare not attempt any housecleaning.) Other than size, there's nothing to distinguish them.

• sleepyjackson
    sleepyjackson
    Community Member

I'm on latest version of 1password for desktop and iphone app. Couldn't get the wifi sync working. I saw someone in the thread above mentioned something about having to add a space at the end of the password you have to input on the iphone. That worked for me. But totally not obvious. Perhaps instead of spaces hyphens should be used so its clearer? Otherwise super happy with 1password!

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member

Correcting my post above: I may be wrong, but it appears that iCloud sync works like Apple Mail and Contacts, i.e. it only syncs when there's been a change on a device. In that case, the changes show up pretty fast.

So my current working sync selections are iCloud and wi-fi sync, the latter being a cumbersome process, and requiring the devices be on the same wi-fi network.

It strikes me as non-intuitive that 1P on the Mac has you choose ONE of three sync options (iCloud, Dropbox, Folder), while the iPhone invites you to select all three. Confusing, if you ask me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WFA,

Tried shutting off Dropbox and File Sharing on the iPhone, but the latter shows up as selected when logging in again.

File Sharing has been unnaturally persistent lately - our developers are working on figuring out why and making it behave itself properly. In the meantime though, leaving it enabled shouldn't be a problem.

On my iPhone's 'Manage Storage' screen under 'Documents & Data' there are two "onepassword" files (a little over 400KB each).

That's strange, you should really have only one. Did you participate in our beta testing for 1Password?

It strikes me as non-intuitive that 1P on the Mac has you choose ONE of three sync options (iCloud, Dropbox, Folder), while the iPhone invites you to select all three. Confusing, if you ask me.

Thanks for the feedback here. When we originally learned that iCloud sync would be available to third-party developers, we had hoped to give users the option to use multiple sync sources at once (hence the layout of the iOS app.) However, in testing we determined that using multiple sync solutions at once caused some issues, so we are now recommending that users select only one sync solution at a time (Hence the layout of the Mac app.) I apologize for the confusion, we'll look to resolve that soon.

Hi @sleepyjackson,

Thanks for the feedback! We have seen an issue with spaces occurring at the end of secrets, and you're right - it's not at all obvious. Your suggestion of hyphens is a good one. It's actually what we were using in beta testing instead of spaces, but some users pointed out that it was frustrating to have to switch keyboards so often on iOS when entering the secret. Our tech gurus are looking to find a solution that can provide the best of both worlds :)

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member

On my iPhone's 'Manage Storage' screen under 'Documents & Data' there are two "onepassword" files (a little over 400KB each).

"That's strange, you should really have only one. Did you participate in our beta testing for 1Password?"

Yes, I was in the beta testing program. Shall I delete one or both of the "onepassword" files under Documents and Data in the iPhone?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WFA,

You do not need to keep both files around. But in order to determine which of those files is the beta and which is the one you are currently using, we'll need to see a Diagnostics Report.

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member

I just realized I have two iPhones. Perhaps that's the cause of two files being on iCloud. Have also switched back to the beta.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WFA,

I still think it's more likely to be because you have been using both the beta and the release version of the software. If you do want help deciding which file to remove, please send along that Diagnostics Report.

And thanks for helping us test out the betas!

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member

Thanks, Megan. I did send the Diagnostics Report a few days ago.

I took a chance and deleted both the "onepassword" files in iCloud. The preceding warning screen cautioned that it would erase everything from all my devices, but that hasn't happened. Should the language there be changed? (I did do a backup just in case, but the threat is frightening.) Anyhow, iCloud sync seems to be working again, with edits on either device showing up in about ten seconds.

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member

My mistake. The "warning screen" mentioned above was actually what I got when I decided to, in effect, 'restart' iCloud sync by first disabling it on my Mac, then re-enabling it.

Hopefully, I -- and mercifully, you, -- are done with this!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WFA,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your Diagnostic Report - we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience. I do hope you're all sorted out too - sync problems are certainly no fun!

Could you do me a favour and check at the Mobile Documents directory on the Mac and confirm that you do have one copy of your 1Password data file there? I just want to be sure that your data isn't going to go missing somewhere. :)

• WFA
    WFA
    Community Member

Two folders there:

2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword [Contains folders: 'Documents' and 'onepassword_data.']

8RS32JY83C~com~agilebits~beta~onepassword [This folder is empty.]

iCloud sync between MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, and iPhone 4 working well, either direction. If sync doesn't happen (e.g. when to/from iPhone 4), then quitting and restarting the app can trigger the iCloud sync.

Thanks for the help. Things working well enough for me, as is.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WFA,

Glad to hear things are working! If anything else goes wonky, you know where to find us :)

This discussion has been closed.