Solution for ver 4.3 sync problems? (iCloud and Dropbox?)

mikebore
mikebore
Community Member

I have put this as a new post rather than add it to the existing iCloud sync broken thread because I suspect the same tricks may apply to Dropbox syncing, and I didn't want Dropbox syncers to miss it.

By a lot of trial and error, I seem to have found some kind of way for making iCloud syncing work with ver 4.3 consistently.

The essential elements are:

1. Have "File Sharing" turned on in the sync settings. ( I only want iCloud sync, but having File Sharing set to off seems to be the cause of hangs and continuous cogs)

2. Don't touch the "sync now" button. Unlike in 4.2.7, it doesn't respond and trying it seems to prevent subsequent syncing.

With the above I seem to have changes made on the iOS device auto synced to my Mac and vice versa.

If it stops working (like after I tried pressing "sync now") then quitting 1P by double clicking the home button and sliding the 1P screen up, and restarting 1P seems to get it working again.

NB in getting to the above state I did a lot of things like turning iCloud Docs off and on and uninstalling 1P completely. These may or may not have been necessary.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Thanks for explaining how you got it to work. I, too, am puzzled by whether or not I should leave File Sharing enabled when using other sync methods (in my case, wifi sync) and it would be helpful if someone more expert would chime in with a definitive view. (I'd always understood you should have only one sync method enabled at any one time.)

Stephen

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

I just tried my suggestions on another iOS device and now think that turning off the iCloud docs off and back on while the 1P app was quit was a necessary step.

I also would very much welcome some comment about having File Sharing enabled.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

I have now updated all four of my iOS devices to ver 4.3 as above and all are (for now) auto-syncing both ways with each other and my macs using iCloud.

All four are set as in my opening post, but the route to getting to the final working state was not consistent or straightforward. It involved all of:

-Turning off and on iCloud documents.

-Turning on and off and on iCloud sync.

-Fully Quitting 1P.

-Turning File sharing on and off and on again.

.........often more than once and in different orders.

I did not at any point fully uninstall 1P or reboot the device.

Probably there is a "right" way of getting there quickly, but I haven't found it. All I can say is keep trying and testing and observing. There were times when the cogs were spinning even though there was no sync in progress. I found there was never any point in leaving it like this for a more than 30 secs, so I always force quit the app when this happened. When syncing is working it doesn't take very long, at least with iCloud.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mikebore,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble syncing. We have been noticing some sync issues with our most recent iOS version, and File Sharing does seem to be causing a bit of trouble. At this point, we do recommend leaving File Sharing on.

Believe me, our developers are working hard to track this bug down and squash it properly. I do thank you for including your workflow above to help users out in the meantime. :)

• mozart11
    mozart11
    Community Member

@mikebore

I did post in this thread a few days ago, http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16907/sync-with-icloud-brocken#latest thinking AB world take a while to correct this BUT…

I read this thread the other day too. Told myself don't do it LOL. It took me a long time to get iCloud sync to work after 4.3 broke it, by finding and reinstalling the iOS app prior to 4.3 which "broke" iCloud sync for me. Reinstalling a prior version brought iCloud sync back. Going through Time Machine backups etc…

so I saw your thread and why put myself through it I said - but being I enjoying punishment and was a beta tester of 1PW4 (and it worked fine) and am for Apple - I'm used to punishment. So last night I couldn't resist and did more backups and off I went to test your procedure.

Put 4.3 back on iPhone5 - went though your steps and PRESTO - iCloud is working on Mac's, iPhone 5, iPad Mini. It took two times through your steps but it's gold now. So I spent about an hour doing that. Then another hour or so on the iPhone deleting some duplicates and links I don't use anymore. About 45 Move to Trash and delete on iOS. Move to the Mac - opened 1PW4.03 and exactly the same.

AB - you need to buy mikebore a virtual beer. or something

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

so I saw your thread and why put myself through it I said - but being I enjoying punishment and was a beta tester of 1PW4 (and it worked fine) and am for Apple - I'm used to punishment. So last night I couldn't resist and did more backups and off I went to test your procedure.

I have the same masochistic gene!

AB - you need to buy mikebore a virtual beer. or something

Thanks for the thanks!

• mozart11
    mozart11
    Community Member

@mikebore I too hate not being able to figure something out on computers. I'm on them 20 out of 24 hrs a day. For this issue I took the easy way out - back peddled to older app, and it worked - but your post just gnawed at me.

Congrats on your tenacity of figuring it out. Free licenses for you from AB for life maybe? :)

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

I'm seeing some serious issues with syncing too. Never before in the past versions of 1Password have syncing been an issue, but now it's a bit of a headache. I use 1P on my MacBook Air, iPad, and iPhone. Sometimes when I go to my iPhone to look up a login info and can't find it, I know it's because syncing hasn't worked properly. So, I turn to my MacBook Air (which is where I generally do the heavy lifting of changing and adding login info) and, lo and behold, the login info I was looking for is there. I look at the sync status for 1P on my Mac and it's all fine (ie., it's synced up), but somehow the iPhone 1P isn't always getting the information.

I'm syncing using Dropbox.

Grrr...

I hope Agilebits comes out with a fix soon. This issue should be a top priority for them over everything 1P related.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

By the way, I cannot turn off File Sharing on iOS 1P once I turned it on. Trying to turn it off "crashes" the 1P iOS app -- it gets stuck and the only way to get access back is to quit 1P iOS. But when I reopen 1P, file syncing is back on. I don't even know what file syncing is.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

By the way, I cannot turn off File Sharing on iOS 1P once I turned it on. Trying to turn it off "crashes" the 1P iOS app -- it gets stuck and the only way to get access back is to quit 1P iOS. But when I reopen 1P, file syncing is back on. I don't even know what file syncing is.

Re-read the thread. As things are I have found you need to have File Sharing ON, even if you are primarily syncing with iCloud or Dropbox. File sharing on is harmless, it provides a backup via iTunes which you can ignore.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@tiantai

Also no joy for Dropbox here, problem persists. I tired @mikebore 's suggestion but sadly no luck. Oh well. Most of my data is static anyway.

• Same problems here: Turning off File Share crashing iOS app (4.3). iCloud not synch data from iPhone to macs. Pressing sync button in iOS app does nothing. There is no progress bar under "sync." I have confidence that ABits will address this soon; first time I've had trouble with their software after YEARS of heavy use.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

Same problems here: Turning off File Share crashing iOS app (4.3).

You need to have File Sharing turned ON not off.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi all,

Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience. Please believe that we know that having your data backed up and synced is important, and our developers are working to get this fixed just as soon as possible! You should see an update soon that resolves this.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

After a few days of success it has stopped working...now I have to force quit it to make it sync next launch.

Not going to fight it anymore since 4.3.1 must be close. Though with Agilbits recent track record across the board who know what problems challenges that will bring!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

I think we're all really excited for 4.3.1 to get here. Let's hope Apple approves it soon!

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member

Updated to 4.3.1 and now Dropbox Sync does NOT work at all, in fact it appears that EVERYTHING is gone from my iPhone. Tired Sync Now a few times and Settings shows Dropbox Sync ON, but Favorites, Categories, and Folders are EMPTY.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

4.3.1 is all good here, with iCloud syncing. Thank you!

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member

UPDATE. I deleted 1PW, then reinstalled. Had to run Dropbox Sync Now twice but now everything seems OK.

• Phil7
    Phil7
    Community Member

iCloud syncing ok. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mikebore, @krgraham, and @Phil7

I'm so happy to hear that version 4.3.1 (eventually) fixed syncing for you! I'll admit, I did a little happy dance myself when I saw the update was finally available. Thanks again for your patience here. :)

• mozart11
    mozart11
    Community Member

Not here. 4.3.1 no iCloud sync. Just spent another hour and half doing settings, on off, close - on computer make changes - on iPhone make changes - NOTHING syncs.

If 1PW was a physical object I would have thrown it out the window long ago. How many hours trying to get this software to sync over these many weeks? I'm done. 1PW3 family license purchase, 1PW4 MAS purchase, iPhone apps purchase - can't do it any more. Was a beta tester for 4 and it worked - release 4 has been nothing but a nightmare. Just don't know how that can be. I've lost data, I've swapped out older iPhone apps to get it to work, tried to get data back from backups and on and on - and I am not the only one as these forums attest too.

Mavericks has my website passwords now, spent a day doing that and it's keychain syncing works perfectly between iPhone and the Mac.

@mikebore got the iCloud sync to work for me, then it stopped and 4.3.1 doesn't sync at all. There is no way a non-computer person could ever use 1PW4 no way no how. Amazing.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

Silly question....is "Documents & Data" turned on on all devices and Macs?

• macgabe
    macgabe
    Community Member

4.3.1 seems to be working for us now across iMac website version, iPhone and iPad via Dropbox. To test it we made a change on iMac and looked on the open application and login entry on iPad. At first it didn't appear but when we hit the sync gears (possibly unnecessary) and then went to a different login and back to the changed login page it had indeed synced. If we're brave enough in the next few days we might try iCloud and wifi too… thanks for pushing this fix out quickly.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mozart11,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are still having difficulties with sync. If there is anything further we can do to help, I'd love it if you could send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Hi @macgabe,

I'm thrilled that syncing is working for you! While we do want to be sure that you find the correct sync solution for your needs, we do only recommend using 1 sync solution at a time ... and switching back and forth between them can cause some complications. Just be sure to preform a backup prior to switching up your sync, and let us know if you run into any snags :)

• Dan Ortego
    Dan Ortego
    Community Member

Hello Megan,
    Well, version 4.3.1 certainly hasn't worked for me on my iPhone 5S so I went ahead and send in my diagnostic report earlier today.
    Regards,
    Dan Ortego

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Dan,

I'm sorry to hear that things aren't syncing for you. Our team will respond to your email just as soon as possible, and we'll see what we can do to get you synced up. :)

This discussion has been closed.