Dropbox Sync doesn't work anymore with version 4.3

Options
pawo
pawo
Community Member

Setup: iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2, several Windows PCs, all synced via Dropbox
The a.m. setup worked perfectly until I updated today to 1PW 4.3 - I had version 4.2.7 before. Now suddenly the Dropbox synch on the iPhone is not working anymore (syncing between the PCs is still perfectly working). On the iPhone when I start the App it is correctly syncing with Dropbox exactly and only ONE time. After that it doesn't synch at all anymore. Only the minute counter about last sync is correctly counting up and the little gear wheels at the bottom are turning all the time. When you press "snyc now" nothing happens at all. There is no synch anymore until you shut down the App (swiping upwards in the resident program screen) and restart it. Then again there is ONE sync only and then it stops again. This is pretty much a disaster for me as I rely on the syncing via Dropbox which always worked perfectly until the 4.3 update. I had already sent a diagnostics report via the APP. Thank you for your fast help! pawo

Comments

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member
    Options

Me again. Being really annoyed and angry about the quality of your new 4.3 version I deleted it now from my iPhone. I managed via iTunes to re-install the previous version 4.2.7 and guess what - continuous and proper Dropbox syncing is instantly working again. I am truly upset about the fact that you issue a new version and one of the features of major importance is not working properly. I hope you apply much more diligence on the security related matters - do you?! You guys from agilebits lost quite a bit of credibility with me today - you made me re-thinking what I'm doing with my sensitive data here. I will be curious when a Dropbox continuous sync working patch of 4.3 will be provided. pawo

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I am also seeing an issue with 1Password 4 Mac and 1Password 4 iOS w/Dropbox sync.

I got 1 note to go to my data file, now 1Password is hung in a perpetual loop. It states its always syncing and the sync now button doesn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled 4.3 with the same behavior.

I grabbed 4.2.7 from my trash and I am going to reinstall and see if the problem disappears like @pawo

As of this writing 1Password tells me it last synced 22 minutes ago but the indicator is still moving with the red !

I am going to send in the diagnostic report to you guys before moving back to 4.2.7

Edit : This is the error i see in the report.

Dropbox replicator error: Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=717
    Dropbox replicator received error that forced it to stop:

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@pawo

I have been kinda cross posting as some of the issue seem to be somewhat related. I know not usually a good thing. But you may wish to poke your head into that thread and see the conversation. Its possible it could help you. That is if you want to go back to 4.3 ?

I did help me on a couple occasions but the issue still persists though intermittent.

Now I am back to the sync now button not working but I think its possibly a bug we can live with till a fix is in place.

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16890/1password-4-3-not-syncing-custom-icons-from-mac#latest

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member
    Options

@thightower

Thank you for the hint! However, the other thread is consistent with the problem I am experiencing, while I do not have custom icons. I get my iphone synced with 4.3 - when a.) I restart the App or b.) restart the iPhone or c.) delete and reinstall the App. The persistent problem is that it is doing such sync exactly only ONE time and then it is as also others describe (e.g. @vitaly in the parallel thread) - no syncing anymore until you do a.), b.) or c.) again of which obviously a.) is my choice. Maybe some people can sort of live with that but I can't. I simply cannot invest the time and effort to remember always closing down and restarting the App after I have changed anything in my data - on the iPhone or on one of my PCs - that is just ridiculous. The 4.2.7 version is working as intended continuously syncing hence I will stay with it while I can only repeat what I already said above about credibility and due diligence...

• kagy
    kagy
    Community Member
    Options

Found this thread just now after discovering that I am having the exact same issues. What's going on, Agilebits? I discovered this morning that neither my iPhone 5 with latest software nor my iPad running 7.0 are syncing via Dropbox. Tried manually and 1PW crashed on the iPhone. Took several restarts to get it back up. Tried disabling Dropbox and syncing with iCloud, but that produced nothing. When I went back to Dropbox on the desktop, it resynced data that I had previously trashed. But neither my iPhone nor iPad are synced yet. 1PW on the iPhone still has a crashing issue, plus it has asked for my "quick password," but won't let me in when entered, has asked for my full password, but deletes the first 5 keystrokes midway through, then of course won't let me in until I reenter. Very frustrating. Thinking of going back to version 4.2.7, al la pawo.

• rslueb
    rslueb
    Community Member
    Options

I have the latest versions of 1Password installed on an iPhone 5, iPad 4, and Mac Pro.

When attempting to sync from an iPhone, app claims that sync is complete but gears do not stop spinning and data is not synced.

Tried deleting and re-installing the app. Sync works once after re-install, but thereafter the problem described above recurs.

Syncing seems to be working with the iPad and Mac Pro.

• kagy
    kagy
    Community Member
    Options

I just updated the software on my iPad (nothing to do with 1PW, actually), but when it restarted and I opened 1PW, it synced and worked. Remains to be seen if this is a one-time fix, or if it will continue to sync properly from now on. I still have the issue above with my iPhone.

• kagy
    kagy
    Community Member
    Options

And one last update: if I force quite 1PW on the iPhone, then select "sync now," I will get the progress bar, but when finished it will say "last sync 10 hours ago," and the sync symbol will still be spinning on and on, forever.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@kagy

it restarted and I opened 1PW, it synced and worked.

if I force quite 1PW on the iPhone, then select "sync now," I will get the progress bar, but when finished it will say "last sync 10 hours ago," and the sync symbol will still be spinning on and on, forever.

seeing exactly all these issues.

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. Any changes that I make on my phone are not syncing back up to the cloud keychain.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone reading this thread, there's a useful thread here (in the 1P4 Mac forum) about Dropbox sync. Note particularly Jeff Shiner's post at #60 in that thread.

Stephen

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C Thanks.

I am seeing this issue on 1P 4.0.2 from the web store and both iOS 4.3RC1 Beta and 4.3. It seems like the only time I can get the iOS app to sync is to clear the database and start from scratch.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C

I am using the latest beta so not sure if there is an issue there or not. My mac reports the beta is newer than the web release so Ill stick with the beta.

Many thanks for try to help us wade thru this issue.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Fooligan, @thightower, sorry not to be able to help more. I don't use Dropbpx (or iCloud) sync myself. I suspect we'll all be set on the straight and narrow once AgileBits has a little more time to direct us! :)

Stephen

• kagy
    kagy
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know if it helps Agile Bits to keep posting these updates, but here's the latest: I just made a change to 1PW on the desktop. I checked the iPhone and the sync (for dropbox) did not work, even though setting on the iPhone's 1PW said "last sync 4 seconds ago." The sync button was still spinning. I turned off Dropbox sync and the program locked up. I force quite 1PW, turned it back on and turned on Dropbox sync. That brought up the Dropbox page advising me that DB wanted to use data from 1PW, which I accepted, and it made me put in my quick code for DB. Program then switched back to 1PW, making me enter the quick code for it. Got the syncing progress bar. When it was finished, I checked my recent change and it had not synced. But the sync symbol on the system page was still spinning, and will forever now.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Guys, I'm really sorry about the syncing issues you're having. Could you try this please?

Make sure Dropbox sync is enabled. Press the home button on your phone to go to the home screen. Double-press the home button to bring up the task switcher and "kill" 1Password from there. (On iOS 7, just swipe the 1Password window up and off the screen.) Then, launch 1Password. Don't do anything else to trigger a sync; just allow 1Password to sync itself on its timer. This should work in most cases. We're investigating some possible issues with other scenarios, but this should allow 1Password to sync if there isn't a different error in the mix.

Please let us know how it turns out.

• kagy
    kagy
    Community Member
    Options

Not working, jxpx777. Did exactly as you said, and the iPhone (iOS 7.0.2) hasn't synced. In fact it says the last sync was 10 hours ago, even though the sync indicator is spinning, and will continuously until I disable dropbox sync. Oddly enough, when I restart it, I expect it to work. It has worked that way in the past. Even more oddly, I was having the same issue with my other iOS, and iPad running the same iOS 7.0.2, but not it is working every time. Hold the press - after the sync button started spinning, I then accomplished your recommended procedure, killing the app and restarting it.
    NOW it says the last sync was 6 seconds ago, and indeed, all items are synced. So, to summarize - I modified a file on the computer, checked the sync on the iPad, which worked, but the iPhone had not synced, and indicated the last sync was 10 hours old. I killed the app and restarted, waited for a few minutes, but it didn't sync, and the sync button was spinning for several minutes (a manual sync never takes more than a minute). I killed it again, and this time (after restart) it said last sync was 6 seconds ago, and all was working.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kagy,

I'm glad to hear that you're finally synced up! I am sorry that it was a bit of a process though. Our developers are working to get this properly sorted out just as soon as possible. We really appreciate your patience :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@Megan—I hope y’all can get this fixed soon, because I am my sister-in-law's principal tech support guy and she tells me that she is having sync problems on her iPad.

@jxpx777—AWS?? I think you need to get out more.

• I thank you all for the feedback in the forum.

We have found the cause of the syncing issue with 1Password 4.3 for iOS. This problem affects those using iOS 7 and can cause syncing to halt. Some users will also find that the gears continue to spin endlessly. This problem is caused when multiple threads make a call to NSOperationQueue simultaneously causing them to deadlock.

We have a fix for this issue and have submitted it today to the App Store as build 4.3.1 and will release it as soon as it is approved.

In the interim if you find that iOS is not syncing then you can force quit and restart 1Password which should cause sync to resume.

I apologize for the troubles that this is causing you.

• kagy
    kagy
    Community Member
    Options

Well, may I be the first to say "WOO HOO!"

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member
    Options

@Jeff Shiner
    Jeff, this is really great news! I can't wait 4.3.1 will be available in the App Store. Thank you for whole team's professional responsiveness and resolving this issue within just one week - this is truly benchmark. Trust Apple's App Store approval won't take too long. Have a good day. pawo

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you all for hanging in there while this is resolved!

For more exposure a slightly modified version of Jeff's post is now an Announcement topic:

1Password iOS 4.3 sync issues identified, fix submitted to Apple

• TheMacMommy
    TheMacMommy
    Community Member
    Options

All other forms of syncing seem to be working here except for DropBox. The error I get repeatedly is a 503 from DropBox. It says that the app is being rate limited by DropBox. I'm sure my case is pretty extreme as I'm using 1Password in a family setting syncing between 4 iPhones, 1 iPad and 3 Macs all of varying models and different OSes. Yes, I have a little ecosystem here, but at least it's a good test bed. I just updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 7.0.3 earlier today and as I was trying to troubleshoot our 1P syncing problems, this iPhone has just restarted itself 3 times in a row! Not sure what that's all about. It got possessed! I'm just about to update 2 of the other iPhones to the same, but first I'm waiting for them to finish their iCloud backups. Yes, it's 2:30 am because when else am I going to be able to do system maintenance to my family of devices? ha ha

Anyhow, I'm just writing to give you feedback on my use case. I read through this forum and the other announcement post about the fix that's been submitted to Apple. Yay! I'm hoping that will fix my gaggle of iDevices here. Another issue I'm having with DropBox in addition to the others posted already is that I'll get a message saying the information differs with what's on DropBox and asks if I'd like to merge the data. Since I have multiple backups, I say ok and tap it but then nothing happens. I'm able to replicate that scenario on 3 iPhones, all running iOS 7.0.2, one is 7.0.3.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I was able to fix this syncing issue on one of my client's iPhones. Hers is an iPhone 4 running latest version of iOS 6 with 1P v4. For hers, I was able to delete the 1P app, then re-download from the App Store, then re-sync and it worked just fine. Unfortunately, I tried to repeat this same scenario with my Hubby's iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0.3, but it didn't fix it. Same sync issues remained with DropBox. I was able to use WiFi sync with no problems on all 3 iPhones running iOS 7. Once that completed, I also turned iCloud sync back on with no issue. So, it would seem it's isolated to DropBox, at least for me.

My next issue then, once this is all fixed, is to see which method of syncing I should use for our family. We have "his, hers, theirs and shared" DropBox folders. I'm the "owner" of the 1P file and then I've shared it with the other 3 family members via the "shared" DropBox which I then tell the 1P app to sync with. I'm wondering though if that's the wrong way to go about it. Anyhow, that's another thread I'll start some other time after the dust clears here on this issue. I hope my feedback is somewhat helpful and not too confusing. I don't tend to do much of anything the easy way. It's just not as much fun.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TheMacMommy,

Thanks for that detailed feedback. We're also a bit excited to get this fix released to the App Store - fingers crossed that it happens soon!

The error I get repeatedly is a 503 from DropBox. It says that the app is being rate limited by DropBox.

The error message about "rate limiting" is coming directly from Dropbox. This can happen during the initial sync when a lot of data needs to be downloaded all at once. The error should be temporary and should automatically resolve itself after a few hours. There are a few things to keep in mind however:

1. You must not disable Dropbox syncing and re-enable it. People often do this thinking that it will solve the issue but every time you disable and re-enable syncing 1Password is forced to re-download all the files and this will cause the rate limiting to happen again. It basically resets everything and we're forced to start over.

2. If you have a lot of attachments stored in 1Password it could take a long time for this rate limiting error to go away. The reason is 1Password for iOS will download all your attachments automatically during syncing. This can be a great feature as it allows you to view all your attachments while offline, but it comes at the cost of making the initial sync much slower. As soon as you have more than a few megabytes of attachments stored in 1Password Dropbox will start rate limiting you as 1Password attempts to download everything at once. Eventually all the attachments will download but it will take time.

Most often this issue happens because of attachments. The good news is 1Password will only download your attachments after all your items finish downloading so you can access all your data (except attachments) even though the Dropbox syncing hasn't fully completed.

Another issue I'm having with DropBox in addition to the others posted already is that I'll get a message saying the information differs with what's on DropBox and asks if I'd like to merge the data.

This issue sometimes occurs if you have multiple keychains stored in Dropbox. Do you currently use multiple vaults on 1Password 4 for Mac? Multiple vaults are not yet supported in iOS, and having 2 vaults sync to Dropbox can cause some confusion.

I was able to use WiFi sync with no problems on all 3 iPhones running iOS 7.

I'm so glad to hear that WiFi is behaving nicely for you, and I think it's great that you are testing out your options. I do just want to confirm though that you are testing these sync solutions one at a time? When we initially released 1Password 4 for iOS, we had hoped to be able to allow users to enable multiple sync sources at once, but this has proved problematic, so we are currently recommending that you select the solution that works best for you and enable only that.

My next issue then, once this is all fixed, is to see which method of syncing I should use for our family. We have "his, hers, theirs and shared" DropBox folders. I'm the "owner" of the 1P file and then I've shared it with the other 3 family members via the "shared" DropBox which I then tell the 1P app to sync with.

The way that we generally recommend sharing keychains is to share the folder that houses the keychain directly. So if you have the folder 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain in "her" Dropbox, you would then share the 1Password folder with "his" and "theirs". If I'm misunderstanding your set-up, and this is what you essentially have right now, then you should be all set!

Thanks again for the feedback and please let me know if you have further questions about anything :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there,

It seems like there are always a few hiccups with a major launch and we've certainly had our share with 1Password 4. We very much appreciate the patience and clear reporting of issues we've seen from users as we work to polish this new program, and our new sync solutions.

Since it appears that the sync issues in version 4.3 have been resolved in version 4.3.2 for everyone now, I'll be closing this discussion. If anyone is still experiencing syncing issues, let's start a new thread. :)

This discussion has been closed.