Need help with browser extensions

edited July 2013 in 1Password 6 Beta

I am confused. You say the 1password 3 browser password extensions won't work with 1password 4. Are you talking about the key I installed at the top of Chrome? Mine works and I have not removed it from 1password 3. Don't understand. I have not installed extensions in 1password 4 because you say the 3.9.6 extensions won't work (they do!) and you also say they need to be removed from 3 before installing for version 4. Not only that but ...if I indeed must remove version 3 first, the following is totally unclear: "The easiest way to do this is to save a new login in your web browser. Any login will do, such as the sign in form for these forums. Give it a really obvious name that can't be confused with any existing login, something like "1Password 3 is up to date!". Now, open 1Password 3 and make sure that login is there. You can then safely remove the 1Password 3 browser extension."

Comments

• Harold CHarold C Junior Member

I agree. Would love some clarification regarding browser extensions. Does one have to go through the process described for each browser extension such as Safari, Firefox and Crome? The "sign in" instructions are also very confusing to me.

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi guys,

The sign in instructions is to confirm that your browser extension has fully synced with your main app, you have to make sure the data in the browser extensions are in the main 1Password app.

The reason is because if you uninstall the extensions in your browsers, the data inside the browser is removed for good. Thus, any extra data you have in the 1Password 3 extension is now lost if it is not in 1Password app.

So, confirm that your data in 1Password 3 extensions are in the main 1Password 3 app. Once you do that, you then have to remove all of your 1Password extensions. It will not work with 1Password 4, 1Password 4 requires you to install the specific 1Password 4 extensions.

Here's how to uninstall all extensions completely.

Once you do that, proceed with the rest of the instruction to install 1Password 4 extensions.

I hope that helps. I'll clarify the Getting Started guide about this.

• dblakedblake Junior Member

So, confirm that your data in 1Password 3 extensions are in the main 1Password 3 app. Once you do that, you then have to remove all of your 1Password extensions. It will not work with 1Password 4, 1Password 4 requires you to install the specific 1Password 4 extensions.

I updated from 1pw3 to 1pw4; I got this message/procedure afterwards. I understand why you want me to do this, but I don't see how I can do this. Why? Because I can't open 1pw3 on my computer anymore - it's gone. I can't re-download 1pw3 from the App Store and I tried the legacy 3.8.whatever on the website, but when I try to open that, 1pw4 just opens instead.

And now, because I'm fearful of losing any passwords that might be stuck in these outdated browser extensions, I can't remove them. And because I can't remove them, I can't switch to the 1pw4 browser extensions, making it ever more likely that I'll add logins to these old data stores that won't be synced back to my main 1pw data store. Basically a no win. Unbelievably frustrating.

And because I'm already writing this comment (even though this is off-topic) - can you PLEASE please PLEASE add an option for a "reduced sized interface elements" or something? The sidebar is much better than the old version but all of the actual data entries are bloated. Yeah, I get it that you think that these large icons and design elements are cool looking, or you mistakenly think that it makes for good UI for anyone but the geriatric set. Just offer an option toggling the current huge size with something about half-height (and no, the unchecking of "show rich icons" is not enough... ) and use a 12 or 14 point font (not the 18-20pt currently used). I use a 15" MacBook Pro, and if I make the 1Password window full height of the screen (I keep my dock on the right side, so it's not removing any vertical screen area) I can see 16 items. Just 16! I can only shudder to think how annoying it must be to try to use 1Password on a MacBook Air 11" or the 1280x800 MBP 13."

• MeganMegan

Team Member

Hi @dblake,

I've responded to your first question in the thread you started here, and I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to our developers! :)

This discussion has been closed.