Why is 1Password for iOS using cellular data?

lpn
lpn
Community Member

I upgraded to iOS 7 and saw that 1Password for iOS has been using cellular data. It is a small amount of data (8k), but why 1P needs to use any data? Rich icons are disabled, I am using (or trying to use) only Wi-Fi sync, so there is no reason for any connections outside of that.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Are you by any chance using cellular data for software updates? If so it might be checking for updates.

Stephen

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

No, cellular is disabled for updates. Moreover, shouldn't 1P's check for updates go through the App Store? Also, I updated 1P to 4.3 before I updated iOS to v7, when the per-app cellular data counting started (I think it wasn't available per-app in iOS 6).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Sorry, I'm as puzzled as you then. I'm sure someone more expert will chime in soon. Sorry not to be of more help.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lpn,

1Password does have a built-in browser. I'm guessing your data use comes from there. :)

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

@Megan -- I've never used the built-in browser; also the amount of data transferred -- 8k is not enough even for an average sized webpage.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lpn,

Fair point. 1Password also has a News feature. 8k could be the latest news update. :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

@Megan

1Password also has a News feature. 8k could be the latest news update.

Thats a good point I had forgotten about that feature, not sure how and when it checks or adds content.

@Ipn

One other thing is if you were ever involved in the IOS betas, and that would mean you still had one installed as well. Anyway it checks for updates from hockey.app servers so it could have also been that again if you had a beta iOS app installed.

I glanced over your posts and it doesn't look like you have been involved in the betas so its probably not relevant to you. I would tend to agree with Megan for the moment.

This discussion has been closed.