1password 4 - Where is the data stored ? I can't find it since upgrade from 1password3

sdsfsdfsf
sdsfsdfsf
Community Member

I use a personal script to backup my data on a external hard drive, so I need to know where the 1password4 vault is located.

In 1password 3, it uses to be in ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/
With 1password 4, I cannot find where the data is stored. There is no folder 1password located in ~/Library/Application Support/ and I don't want to use the folder sync function in the application since it cannot be automated.
Where is the vault stored on my MAC ?

Thanks for your help

TP

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Post #2 in this thread may help you.

Stephen

• sdsfsdfsf
    sdsfsdfsf
    Community Member

I have indeed found the folder ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/ with many files in it.
    but nothing in the subfolders Data/Documents

Do you know which file is actually used to store the data ?
    I don't want to backup the backups, preference files, etc.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

The default location for the Non Mac App Store version for Backups is here

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

Sounds as if you are running the Mac App Store version. If you are simply open the 1Password preferences, go to backups and select "Show Files". It should open a Finder window with the location of all your backups. I usually always have the "Path Bar" enabled in the Finder View menu. Makes easier locating the files in question. The path bar will show at the bottom of the Finder window.

A quick way to enable it is Option, Command, P from a Finder window.

• sdsfsdfsf
    sdsfsdfsf
    Community Member

As I said, I do not want to backup the backups !
    I want to backup the actual data that is currently used in 1password.

Where is this data located ?
    (I used the mac app store app)

thanks

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Sorry overlooked that. Let me see. On the non Mac App Store version it is in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups for Backups and `~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data' for the data folder. Included here in case someone finds this thread later on.

As to the Mac App Store version I don't have a version installed here in front of me. I'll dig out one of my clones of the wife's machine. I do see what you mean. Let me look a little more.

Ok from here http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/mas-web.html

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper is listed as the default location. Other than that since I don't run the Mac App Store version Ill have to defer to the staff.

Sorry again @sdsfsdfsf I just checked and nothing is showing under an old clone from the Mac App Store. Its possible I don't have a proper folder as I never ran the Mac App Store version. v4 just v3. Now you have given me a task to setup a Virtual Machine with the Mac App Store version tonight.

Since I am just a user like yourself occasionally Ill hit a hard spot. You may be able to find all the answers you need using the link above.

• sdsfsdfsf
    sdsfsdfsf
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Thanks a lot for all the details !
    I'll keep looking on my side for the solution

edit :
    Actually, according to your link website, the data for 1password apple store version, is located at
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

Also confirmed here :
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16702/location-of-agilekeychain

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @sdsfsdfsf.

Looks like you've found "the actual data that is currently used in 1password" in:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

What's considered "1Password data" can be context-sensitive, plus we all sometimes get confused by terminology. :)

• Please note that when 1Password mini is running it is keeping the file open. Coping the .sqlite file when it is open might create an inconsistent backup in some cases.

This discussion has been closed.