Importing data from .csv file

Options
mdgraphics
mdgraphics
Community Member

This is beyond frustrating. I heard such wonderful things about this app so I bought it while I still have another paid app for passwords. Now I can't import my data and have already spent too much time researching a workaround to try and find a version 3 download so I can delete the new version 4 and import to version 3 and then reinstall version 4. This is a new PAID app and I never would have bought it knowing what I know now. That being said, I would like to use this app and somehow get it to work. Is there any hope for a fix to import .csv files? I also don't think that the new version 4 should advertise that this works. If I'm wrong about all of this I apologize. I just don't have anymore time to waste trying to get this to work. Thanks.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi @mdgraphics,

The last update to 1Password 4 does include the CSV import. You can open the main 1Password app, go to the File Menu > Import, change the format to CSV and it should work with your CSV file.

A few questions:

1. What's the source of the CSV import file, is it from a specific app?
    2. Where did you buy 1Password, Mac App Store or our website?
  • mdgraphics
    mdgraphics
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

The source of the csv is from an Excel file. I when through the directions and there are no spaces and the titles are all correct, but when I try to import in makes a sound and doesn't do anything else. No error message and no files imported. I downloaded the app from the Mac App Store. Thanks for your help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mdgraphics.

Could you please try importing a small subset of the CSV file that's not working to see if you get different results? If that fails would you be able to email us the file after redacting any sensitive information in it? Also including a Diagnostics Report could be helpful for resolving this; instructions for generating and emailing it are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please include a link to this topic in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. Thank you!

• mdgraphics
    mdgraphics
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I tried importing 10 logins and deleted all of my notes so it's just title, url, username and password. It actually imported the file, but it imported as one entry and put the login info for the other 9 logins in the notes. I just emailed a Diagnostics Report and my .csv file. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got your email with the report, @mdgraphics. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi again, @mdgraphics. I've responded to your email with a possible explanation and workaround for this problem.

Briefly, the most likely reason is that the CSV file is using CR (Carriage return) instead of LF (Line feed) as the newline character and the 1P4 importer is treating that as a single line. Change CRs to LFs in that file and it should import correctly.

• ewhizz
    ewhizz
    Community Member
    Options

Yes the importing in version 4 is really a large step back from the great stuff in version 3. Actually v4 seems to have missed a lot of indepth testing. v3 was a thoroughly good product. v4 seems to be rushed out the door.

I have reverted back to v3 to do my importing.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ewhizz,

At this point, you're right, using 1Password 3 for Mac for importing is the best way to get your data imported. I do apologize for the inconvenience here: our developers are working hard on getting this feature to behave properly in 1Password 4 as well.

We very much appreciate your patience. :)

• denhouse
    denhouse
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot get CSV import to work at all...period. I'm reasonably well versed in "normal" csv importing. All I get is the "thud" of nothing happening, no message, no import...nothing. Trying a simple Login set with only the 5 "fields" in the proper order per the very meager instructions (How can I import data from another application?). I have over 200 records to import. Please help!

• denhouse
    denhouse
    Community Member
    Options

I just fixed it...should have guessed it was a Microsoft thing. Here's the scoop. My old pass file was in FileMaker. I exported to CSV, then open in Excel to make sure columns were correct, they were. I tried to import both the un-Excelled csv and the one that had been openn and save as CSV from Excel. Nothing byt heartache. So I opened the FileMAker CSV in Numbers, expoted it as a CSV from Numbers...imported all records in seconds. My advice...stay away from having anything Mictosoft touch your CSV.

• maratm
    maratm
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on the verge of buying the bundle (Windows + Mac) of 1Password. There's one issue, though, that I can't resolve, And it's exactly the same described in this thread.

I was an KeePass user so I thoroughly exported all my data into a CSV file and then manually cleaned it up removing anything that could potentially prevent a successful import. However, when I try to import the CSV file into 1Password 4 on my Mac, I get just one record (with all the data crammed into the Notes field). I checked with the text editor where I prepare the CSV file - the file is saved with the CR setting. I also tried the LF and Windows CRLF to no avail. That is no records are imported.

I really like your software but adding 300 records manually is something I'm not very fond of doing. Is there any way you could help me - perhaps if I sanitise a portion of my data file, save it in CSV and send it to you for examination? Maybe you will be luckier to import it to 1P4.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm yet to upgrade to Mavericks but from what I read on this forum I doubt whether I should do it at all. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @maratm.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with importing your CSV file into 1Password 4. Thanks for the details of what you've already tried.

Is there any way you could help me - perhaps if I sanitise a portion of my data file, save it in CSV and send it to you for examination?

It would be great if you could do that, like described earlier in post #4. Specific samples of failing imports makes it easier is to figure out and fix the problems. Thanks!

• maratm
    maratm
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi Sjk,

Thanks for the reply. I've just sent the link to download the csv file in a private message.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @maratm.

Thanks for the sample CSV file. I converted the newline characters in it from CR (Carriage return) to LF (Line feed) using this GUI utility:

linebreak - LineBreak is a simple utility for Mac OS X that converts line breaks in text documents.

1P4 (4.1, 4.1.1, and 4.1.2.BETA-4) imported all items from the updated CSV file without any issues.

You mentioned importing hadn't worked using LF newlines in your CSV file. Please make it's also using UTF-8 encoding:

• Open the .csv file with TextEdit and select File > Save As… (Option-Shift-Command-S)
    • In the save dialog window:

• If necessary, change Plain Text Encoding to Unicode (UTF-8)
      • Use a new name like import-utf8.csv as the Save As filename
    • Confirm Use .csv when saving the new file

Then try importing that new file and let me know the results. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @denhouse.

I'm sorry you had trouble with CSV importing. Thanks for describing how you resolved it. I've merged your comments from the Format of CSV for import topic into this one with more recent activity and other suggestions.

• maratm
    maratm
    Community Member
    Options

I tried to follow these steps with the dummy file I sent to you and it worked out. I managed to successfully import 7 records, although each record has full account data (i.e. username, password etc.) duplicated in its Notes field. I don't know maybe that's by design.

Anyway, I still have difficulty importing my main file. Whatever I do, it just doesn't work. I opened the file (it was initially in Excel) in Numbers, then saved/exported it into CSV, then ran Find->Replace to replace semi-colons with commas (yes, that's how stupid Numbers understands "CSV") and finally converted CR into LF using the utility.

There was absolutely no result. It has been two days I'm trying to do a CSV import.

I wonder why you don't offer import from KeePass? It's an extremely popular tool, it's free and opensource. Just pick randomly any internet forum thread with discussions about password managers, and everyone is talking about Keepass. How did you miss that point? :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @maratm.

… although each record has full account data (i.e. username, password etc.) duplicated in its Notes field. I don't know maybe that's by design.

That is/was intentional, as explained: here.

There was absolutely no result.

During importing are any messages logged that you can see in the Console app?

A "divide and conquer" approach can be used to isolate where a problem is in your input file. If you locate it and create a redacted sample we can help you fix it.

I wonder why you don't offer import from KeePass?

Importing with 1Password 3 has some support for KeyPass and KeyPassX, also mentioned in: Import from KeepassX

On Mavericks, a command like this can be used to run 1Password 3 so that its importers will work:

PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin '/Applications/1Password 3.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password'

I'm sorry for the inconvenience of all this. Like @Megan said:

I can assure you that our dev. team is working hard to bring our import feature up to its previous standards.

• maratm
    maratm
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Now I finally made it. :)

I have 250 logins so I decided to try splitting the list in half, then importing each half thinking that the problem were in some special characters. And it was!

After about 8 or 9 iterations I found two culprits. Here are the two passwords that failed the whole list:

7@\@t$3CsZNVBE"

2@(?:6]"

I didn't check exactly which character caused the problem. But removing these two records miraculously resolved it.

Hope that will help anyone who's having problems with import. Just make sure your passwords are good and don't contain some special characters (I suppose it's either backlash or quote that mess the whole thing).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, @maratm. :)

The CSV importer is failing to handle certain special characters (including backslash and double-quote) and newlines, which I'll ensure is filed in our bug tracker. Thanks for your help and persistence with these problems.

• natezander
    natezander
    Community Member
    Options

Has there been any progress on this feature? I would love to be able to import my passwords from keepass. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @natezander,

.CSV import is currently being tested in the latest 1Password 4 for Mac beta! If you'd like to help us polish it up, you are welcome to download the beta here: https://agilebits.com/downloads. If you already have 1Password installed, please ensure that you disable the ‘Always keep 1Password mini running’ option in 1Password and use Command-Control-Q to quit 1Password before opening the beta (just to ensure that there are no complications.)

• clburlison
    clburlison
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Thank you so much for comment #15! This post took a good 15 minutes to find but was extremely valuable!! Solved the issue.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @clburlison,

I'm glad that information was helpful for solving your importing issue. There's actually a more recent and complete version of it: here. But hopefully you won't be needing that now. :)

This discussion has been closed.