Allow viewing passwords from mini

Options
abhibeckert
abhibeckert
Community Member

I have a password I need to use regularly (for logging into a VNC server) that cannot be copy/pasted, it can only be manually typed out.

Can you please add some way to temporarily show a password on the screen, instead of copying it, via 1Password Mini?

Perhaps it could just appear in the top right corner of the screen on top of everything for ~10 seconds and then fade away.

Right now I search for the password in mini, then click the edit button, then cancel the edit, then click the tiny pull down menu next to the password, then click reveal, and move the window into a place where I can see the revealed password while the main VNC window is also visible, then I have to manually quit 1Password after moving the window back to it's proper location.

PS: it's also really annoying how the "edit" button in 1Password Mini can only be accessed via the mouse. Everything else I use in 1password mini can be done via the keyboard only. Please remove the silly custom menu view thing and put an actual "edit" menu item there?

Comments

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

Go into the main 1pw preferences Security pane and uncheck Conceal Passwords to always display your passwords in both 1pw and 1pw mini.

If that is too revealing on an ongoing basis, then search in Mini as you do now and press the Option key when viewing the details to reveal the password. You can then click the anchor symbol to keep the details window open while you type the pw. Lastly dismiss the mini details window by clicking the red close button like any other window.

• You nailed it @oshloel! That's the perfect answer. Keep that up and we're going to have to hire you :)

• abhibeckert
    abhibeckert
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Having it always show the password is definitely too revealing, since I work in a shared office and people are often watching over my shoulder while I log into websites (I do a lot of training).

Holding option doesn't work either, because I can't do it while screen sharing to another mac has keyboard focus. The password is long enough (and needs to be, since it's a production server with publicly available screen sharing ports) that I can't remember it even for a few seconds.

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

Did you try the option key? You shouldn't have to hold it continuously once you have held it & pressed the anchor icon. The password should stay revealed in the anchored window while you switch keyboard focus back to the other mac so you can see it while entering it on the shared mac.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nice suggestions, @oshloel! An convenient alternative for:

Go into the main 1pw preferences Security pane and uncheck Conceal Passwords to always display your passwords in both 1pw and 1pw mini.

… is to use the Control-Command-P shortcut for View > Conceal Passwords to toggle the corresponding preference you mentioned. Of course the 1P4 main app has to be active for that to work, while your clever tip of temporarily holding Option while anchoring a 1P mini window is similar in that context.

This discussion has been closed.