Unable to sync with iPhone after 3→4 upgrade

melquiades
melquiades
Community Member

I purchased 1Password 4, and now it won’t sync with my iPhone.

My phone no longer shows up in the desktop app. So, on the laptop, I open the Wi-Fi sync window, and on the phone I open Settings > Sync > Wi-Fi, touch "Allow New Connections," and enter my master password. Both devices show secrets I am supposed to type; neither appears to see the other.

They are on the same wifi network. Suggestions?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Are you by any chance not using 1P4 for iOS on your phone? You need to be using version 4 in order to sync with 1P4 for Mac.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

Hi @melquiades,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties getting things synced up! We have completely re-written Wi-Fi sync for 1Password 4, so @Stephen_C is right, you must have the same version of 1Password installed on both your Mac and your iOS device to be able to sync using Wi-Fi. Instructions on how to Sync locally using Wi-Fi for 1Password 4 are here.

If you would like to continue using 1Password 3 on your iOS device, please let me know. We can still keep you synced up, but it will require using 1Password 3 for Mac as an intermediary. :)

• scottwkurth
    scottwkurth
    Community Member

Hi Megan, I am having the same problem described in this thread. I didn't realize the 3 to 4 upgrade would break syncing with my iDevices. Could you please let me know how I can revert back to V3? I was completely happy with the functionality in V3 and would like to get back to that state.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @scottwkurth,

I do apologize for the inconvenience. Of course, if you would prefer to remain with 1Password 3, you are welcome to!

Here are the steps you'll need to take to get your data back into 1Password 3:

• To ensure your data is in a format that 1Password 3 can read, please use Folder Sync in 1Password 4 to save your datafile to a folder on your computer.
    • Download the legacy version of 1Password here: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html
    • In 1Password 4, go to Preferences > General and un-check "Always keep mini running"
    • Now 1Password 4 can be removed from the Applications folder
    • Open 1Password 3 and choose the option to "Select existing datafile"
    • Locate your data in the folder you previously saved it to ... and you're good to go! :)

Just remember to uninstall any version 4 extensions and download the version 3 extensions from here: https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html

• melquiades
    melquiades
    Community Member
    edited November 2013

Same question as scottwkurth: Do I really have to buy a whole new version of the iOS app after upgrading to 4 on the desktop? That’s $17.99 — after already paying for a slightly-too-expensive upgrade on the desktop. Is there an iOS upgrade price?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @melquiades,

Unfortunately, the App Store doesn't allow us a mechanism to provide upgrade pricing to existing users. The price for the app must be the same for all users. That being said, you certainly don't have to buy the new version of the iOS app. It is up to us to demonstrate enough value to make it worth your money. :) If you would like to continue using 1Password 3 for iOS, you can use 1Password 3 for Mac to sync your iOS devices via 1Password 3's Wi-Fi sync.

If you purchased 1Password 4 from our website, you might still have 1Password 3. If you got 1Password 4 via upgrade from the Mac App Store, we can easily install 1Password 3 for Mac via our website. Then 1Password 3 for Mac can stay synced via Dropbox with 1Password 4 for Mac, and you can sync your iOS devices via Wi-Fi whenever necessary.

• melquiades
    melquiades
    Community Member

Keeping my passwords off of the cloud was one of the reasons I opted to stick with 1Password, instead of using the new iCloud Keychain. Sadly, Dropbox is not an option.

You do, in fact, have several better options for the iOS app:

• You could make upgrades free, as the vast majority of iOS apps do, and as I presumed you did when I purchased the desktop upgrade.
    • You could make the new features available via in-app purchase.
    • You could make the app free but require a paid service, in the manner of, say Harvest or Skype.

As it stands, I find the benefits of upgrading to 1Password 4 marginal at best. It felt a little expensive even before I found out that I have to (1) repurchase the iOS app (2) at full price (3) which is now $18, bringing the total upgrade cost to $43 for a single user. Yikes. I’ve been a 1Password user since January 2008 — that’s version 2. I’ve given you guys a lot of money over the years, and I feel like it’s enough.

Bottom line: the 1Password 4 upgrade is too damned expensive. I guess I now have to either ditch the iOS app, suck it up and put all my passwords on somebody else’s server, or downgrade to 3 altogether. Either way, I’m sorry I upgraded.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @melquiades,

I'm very sorry to hear that you feel that 1Password is too expensive. We absolutely love supporting our customers and being as generous as possible as we wouldn't be able to work at our dream jobs without them. I'd like to discuss the history of 1Password 3 to show how true this statement is.

When 1Password 3 was released way back in November 2009 it was the first paid upgrade in AgileBits' history. Since then we released 66 free upgrades to 1Password 3. These 66 free updates included 738 changes and are detailed in 1Password's release notes here:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac/release_notes

Many of these 738 changes were huge ones that required months of development work. For example, 1Password 3.6 added support for OS X Lion which required a complete rewrite of the browser extensions to support the new architecture Apple introduced in Safari (Firefox and Chrome were also making big changes at the time).

After nearly 4 years, 66 free updates, and 738 improvements we decided it was time to have a paid upgrade for 1Password 4 so that we could continue development.

As for 1Password 4, it required huge changes "under the hood" to enable many new features. You can see many of the new features highlighted in our Welcome to 1Password guide:

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/welcome-app.html

All these new features required over a year of work from a large development team and was very expensive. Despite this we wanted to give our existing customers the best possible experience. Paying customers are the only reason we're able to do what we love so we gave our loyal customers an upgrade path that provides 50% discount off the regular purchase price.

We hope you see the value of the features in 1Password 4 and decide to upgrade. If you decide not to upgrade at this time, that's fine too. You are not forced to upgrade. We continue to support 1Password 3 and you're welcome to continue using it.

I hope that helps explains why 1Password 4 is a paid upgrade and demonstrates how much we love supporting our customers. We wouldn't be here without you. As I mentioned before, I would be happy to help you set up Wi-Fi syncing with 1Password 3 for Mac.

• melquiades
    melquiades
    Community Member

I understand that you’ve worked hard to update 1Password 4. I’m a developer too, so I understand how much work these things take. Sadly, people don’t pay you for working hard; they pay you for delivering something valuable.

Your canned response above acts as though I’m on the fence about upgrading. My pickle is this: even though it felt a little high, I’ve already paid the upgrade price for 1Password 4 — not realizing that I would have to repurchase the iOS app (surprise!) which now costs much more than it did when I originally bought it (surprise again!). This hidden cost nearly doubles the upgrade price. It feels like bilking. If I’d known, I wouldn’t have upgraded to 4 on the desktop. You should have been up front about this.

Now what do I do? Put all my passwords in the cloud, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid? Downgrade to 3, and throw away the new desktop version I just paid for? Stop using the iOS app altogether?

Or is there a way to do wi-fi syncing to the old app without involving cloud storage? I’m all ears.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @melquiades,

You're right, as I mentioned earlier, the onus is on us to produce a product that is worth your hard-earned money. We certainly didn't intend for the iOS app to be seen as a hidden expense, so I do apologize if that's how you saw it.

Unfortunately, there is no way to sync 1Password 3 for iOS directly with 1Password 4 for Mac. The workaround I previously suggested can be modified to work for users such as yourself who do not want their data stored in the cloud: simply substitute Folder Sync for Dropbox to keep 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 3 for Mac in sync, and you can continue to use Wi-Fi sync for 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 3 for iOS.

Of course, If you feel that 1Password 4 is not worth the upgrade cost, we always honour our 30-day guarantee, and I can help you downgrade back to 1Password 3.

• melquiades
    melquiades
    Community Member

File sync sounds like it might work all right, so I’ll give that a try before I ask for a refund on the upgrade.

Do you have instructions on this? I made a best-guess attempt, but can’t it it working. In 1Password 4, I have selected Syncing with Folder to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. In 1Password 3’s settings, that same file is my Data File. However, changes made in 1Password 4 don’t show up in 1Password 3 — even after quitting and restarting the application.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @melquiades,

Here's what you want to do:

• Make a backup of your current 1Password 4 for Mac database (just to be safe)
    • Quit 1Password 3
    • Set up Folder Sync to the default 1Password 3 folder (as it appears you did.)
    • Find the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Finder
    • Right-click and select 'Open in 1Password 3'

That should ensure that 1Password 3 and 1Password 4 are both using the same keychain. Please let me know how this works!

• melquiades
    melquiades
    Community Member

Thanks, @Megan. I've been trying it for the past week, and the 4→3 back-sync thing appears to be working satisfactory. It doesn't always sync changes to titles of keychain items, but I can live with that. It does seem to transfer the passwords — and since the mobile app is just a get-me-out-of-this-pickle sort of thing that I don't use all that often, that's good enough.

I'll stick with 1Password 4 on desktop and 3 on mobile, then, and hope that in the future Agilebits figures out a mobile upgrade pricing strategy that doesn't punish its most loyal customers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @melquiades,

I'm glad to hear that this solution is working for you (at least "good enough" anyway!) We very much appreciate your feedback on this issue. While I can't speak to our future plans (we're still pretty busy working making 1Password 4 epic across all platforms) but we have listened to all customer feedback here, and will take it into consideration when it is time again to make significant changes to 1Password.

Thanks again for you patience as we sorted this out - please let me know if I can be of any further assistance! :)

• scottwkurth
    scottwkurth
    Community Member

Hi Megan - the downgrade worked great and I've been able to sync passwords again between devices. I have a new problem now. After the downgrade the app is now asking me for a license as "my 30 day free trial has ended." Since I originally purchased this via the App Store, I do not have a license number anywhere. How do I re-enable the full version?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @scottwkurth,

Please email your App Store receipt for 1Password to support+forum@ agilebits .com and reference this discussion. Simply include the name and email address that you'd like to register the license under and we'll create a shiny new 1Password 3 license for you.

I'm so glad to hear that the downgrade has been working well and keeping you all synced up :)

• scottwkurth
    scottwkurth
    Community Member

Megan - thank you so much for your help. I am back up and running.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @scottwkurth,

I'm so glad to hear that you're all sorted out! We're here if you run into any further snags. :)

This discussion has been closed.