1P 3.8.21 no dropbox sync?

Is Dropbox syncing for this version now no longer an option? I have this on my two older Mac Pros that cannot be upgraded. I'm running 4 on my other machines and iOS devices. Syncing is now non-functional (on both 1P3 and the iOS devices). I have error messages in 1P3. Is syncing no longer an option?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NLEdit,

I'm sorry for the confusion here. Dropbox sync should be working fine on 1Password 3.8 on your Macs, however, due to recent changes in Dropbox's API, syncing is no longer possible with 1Password 3 for iOS. Since you have 1Password 3 for Mac installed though, you can keep 1Password 3 for iOS in sync using Wi-Fi. Please see our article here for steps on how to set that up: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password3/ios-wifi-sync.html

If you are seeing an error message regarding Dropbox sync on your older Mac, please give me a few more details so we can sort out what is happening here. :)

• NLEdit
    NLEdit
    Community Member

no, no 1P3 on iOS, iOS and the mountain lion machines are running the latest updates of 1P4. They're not syncing either. These two Mac Pros are running 1P3, and they're not syncing either. I've spent a sum total of 14 hours since 1P4 for Mac was released trying to get sync to function. I've rebuilt everything a dozen times. No syncing works completely, not dropbox, nor iCloud nor wifi sync. The Mac Pros and iOS devices have mostly empty entries. The iMac and Macbook Pro (both running Mountain Lion and 1P4 for mac) are fine. I've created the 1Password folder in Dropbox. I've rebuilt the keychain and it's in the correct place. iCloud syncing totally fails. Dropbox fails on the iOS devices with frequent app error code 717 with Dropbox error code 503, regarding rate limiting. This happens on multiple wifi networks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NLEdit,

I apologize for misunderstanding there! First of all, it sounds like you're experimenting a lot with various sync solutions. This could be where the trouble is coming in, especially when you're trying to sync across multiple versions and platforms. Ideally we'll pick the sync solution that you would like to use and then stick with that.

So, here are your options:

• Dropbox will keep 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 4 for iOS all in sync automatically.
    • iCloud will keep 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 4 for iOS in sync. You can use Folder Sync if you have a local file server set up to sync with 1Password 3 for Mac.
    • Wi-Fi sync will allow you to keep 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 4 for iOS in sync. Again, you can use Folder Sync to keep 1Password 3 for Mac synced up here.

Please let me know which option sounds best to you, and where your most up-to-date data file is. Then we can start talking instructions to get you all synced up! :)

• NLEdit
    NLEdit
    Community Member

My intention from the start was to use Dropbox. I was aware of the issues regarding iOS and dropbox. However, the dropbox syncing repeatedly failed between 1P4 on Mountain Lion and iOS. That's when I tried both iCloud and Wifi syncing between the Mountain Lion and iOS devices which also failed. The issue with 1P3 on the older Mac Pros developed after that. Now everything is hosed. So I'd prefer to do the Dropbox sync.
    Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NLEdit,

Again, I'm so sorry for the troubles you have been experiencing. There were a couple of bugs related to syncing in earlier versions of 1Password 4, but we've managed to squash most of them, so I'm confident that we can get syncing sorted out for you fairly simply.

In order to sort this out though, I'll need some more information. Is your database complete on one machine? We'll start by getting sync sorted out there. Could you send us a Diagnostic Report for the Mac that has your most up-to-date data?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• NLEdit
    NLEdit
    Community Member

Done.
    It's difficult to determine but as near as I can tell this laptop has good content. I generated the troubleshooting file from here.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @NLEdit,

We'll follow up directly via email so things don't get muddled up between here and there. :)

• NLEdit
    NLEdit
    Community Member

Ok, sounds good

This discussion has been closed.