1 Password causes the Web Developer Toolbar to disable?

netnothing
netnothing
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Running Firefox 3.6 on two machines.
OS X 10.6.2
Running the Web Developer 1.1.8 toolbar: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

The Web Dev toolbar and 1Password work fine together, however, every time I upgrade 1Password, the Web Developer toolbar is disabled with a note saying it's not compatible with FF 3.6. It is, and I can simply uninstall it and reinstall and everything is fine, until the next 1Password update.

Any ideas?

-Kevin

Comments

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Actually, this can be reproduced by simply turning on/off the 1Password toolbar (from within 1Password). Each time you do that, it causes the Web Developer toolbar to disable and report the warning.

-Kevin
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    I just tried to reproduce this, but I wasn't able to. What OS X version are you on? Are you using the latest 1Password release? Have you quit and relaunched Firefox since the latest update so that it's loading the latest Firefox extension code?
  • netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Jamie wrote:
    I just tried to reproduce this, but I wasn't able to. What OS X version are you on? Are you using the latest 1Password release? Have you quit and relaunched Firefox since the latest update so that it's loading the latest Firefox extension code?

I have two machines (Mac Pro and MacBook) both running OS X 10.6.2. Both running Firefox 3.6 (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6). Running the latest 1Password Version 3.0.7 (build 30517)

I have restarted Firefox on both. I even went as far as to remove both the 1Password extension and the Web Developer extension (so no extensions were installed). Restarted Firefox clean. Installed Web Developer, restarted FF. Closed FF. Installed the 1PWD extension, when FF opened, the Web Developer extension was disabled and gave the note that it was incompatible with FF 3.6.

On my MacBook I also wiped out the Profiles folder and forced FF to start with a brand new profile. Repeated the same steps above, with the same results.

-Kevin
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    OK, I just was able to reproduce this. I will open a ticket to have this investigated as soon as possible.
  • netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Jamie wrote:
    OK, I just was able to reproduce this. I will open a ticket to have this investigated as soon as possible.

Thanks Jamie, glad I'm not going crazy. Again, not a deal breaker since Web Dev can be re-installed.....just a minor hassle.

Thanks for the quick response.

-Kevin
  • netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Any update to this? It's still happening for me.

-Kevin
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    I've been running both 1Password and the Web Developer Toolbar for a long long while now, and haven't ever seen this problem. I'd be curious to learn what is going on and any tips on details that might help me see this would be welcome. What other FF add-ons are you running. Maybe the conflict is a nasty interaction among three add-ons? But I'm just guessing.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    jpgoldberg wrote:
    I've been running both 1Password and the Web Developer Toolbar for a long long while now, and haven't ever seen this problem.

OK. I can reproduce it, too. But not very systematically. I'll try playing with it a bit to see if I can narrow down the conditions under which it occurs.
  • netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    jpgoldberg wrote:
    OK. I can reproduce it, too. But not very systematically. I'll try playing with it a bit to see if I can narrow down the conditions under which it occurs.

Ok, just to let you know my current stats, if it helps you:

This happens on both my Mac Pro 2.66 and my MacBook 2008

Other than the 1Password add-on, the only one I'm running is the Web Developer 1.1.8

Default theme in Firefox

Plugins:
    Default Plugin 2.0
    Flip4Mac Windows Media Plugin 2.3
    iPhotoPhotocast 7.0 (no idea what this one is) ;-)
    Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.7.2
    Microsoft Office Live Plug-in 12.2.3
    Quicktime Plug-in 7.6.6
    Shockwave Flash 10.0.45.2
    Silverlight Plugin 3.0.50106.0

For me at least it's consistent. I upgrade 1Password (which installs the newest add-on) and my Web Developer is disabled saying it's incompatible. I quick uninstall/reinstall and it's back.

Very weird.

-Kevin
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    netnothing wrote:

For me at least it's consistent. I upgrade 1Password (which installs the newest add-on) and my Web Developer is disabled saying it's incompatible. I quick uninstall/reinstall and it's back.

I've been able now to get this problem to show up consistently by disabling all FF extensions except for 1Password (3.1.1.BETA-1) and Web Developer (1.1.8).

Also looking at the Console Log for when FF starts up, I find evidence of a memory management problem exactly when the 1Password extension is enabled. I'm attaching a copy of that log.

Here are a couple lines:

2010-04-12 8:02:15 AM firefox-bin[83844] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x15286d0 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
    2010-04-12 8:02:15 AM [0x0-0x1b80b7f].org.mozilla.firefox 2010-04-12 08:02:15.667 firefox-bin[83844:903] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x15286d0 of class NSPathStore2 autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

There are 18 pairs of those warnings. I don't think this is related to the problem that we see, since it should be harmless to autorelease an empty pool. But that is a question for the developers.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks, Jeffrey. I've added your findings to the ticket that Jamie opened.
  • netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Any update on this.

I just updated to the latest 1Password (Version 3.1.3 (build 30645))

Same issue, Web Developer toolbar goes missing. However, what is weird was that when I launched FF and went to the Add-Ons panel......while Web Developer was disabled from the 1Password update, I right clicked and selected Find Update, even though I was already on the latest version 1.1.8 from June 2009. It checked and then said: A compatibility update has been found.

I restarted FF and the Web Developer toolbar was back.

So next I went on my other machine and this time tried the Find Update on the Web Developer toolbar first. It didn't find anything. So I installed the latest 1Password and repeated the steps.....install 1Password, Web Dev toolbar gone, Find Updates, A compatibility update has been found, restart FF, Web Dev toolbar back.

Any ideas? Is this something from 1Password....this Compatibility update?

-Kevin
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    netnothing wrote:
    I restarted FF and the Web Developer toolbar was back.

Kevin, I'm glad you found a painless method to have both 1Password and the Web Developer toolbar both in play at the same time.

Is this something from 1Password....this Compatibility update?

The only thing we provide is the 1Password add-on, and it comes directly through the 1Password application, not through the Mozilla/Firefox add-ons "library".
  • netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    MartyS wrote:
    Kevin, I'm glad you found a painless method to have both 1Password and the Web Developer toolbar both in play at the same time.

Just to reiterate.....1Password and the Web Developer toolbar have always worked fine together. It's only the update of 1Password that causes the Web Developer toolbar to be disabled. Hopefully this atleast is a quicker fix.

MartyS wrote:
    The only thing we provide is the 1Password add-on, and it comes directly through the 1Password application, not through the Mozilla/Firefox add-ons "library".

Ok thanks. I figured that you wouldn't be able to affect another plugin anyway. I'll be curious on the next 1Password update as to whether that "Compatibility update" was a permanent fix, or something I have to do everytime.

-Kevin
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    netnothing wrote:
    I'll be curious on the next 1Password update as to whether that "Compatibility update" was a permanent fix, or something I have to do everytime.

-Kevin

I don't have the Web Developer add-on installed on my new MBP but I did on my older system. I've never seen what you describe happen to me, and I make a lot of updates to 1Password.
  • netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    MartyS wrote:
    I don't have the Web Developer add-on installed on my new MBP but I did on my older system. I've never seen what you describe happen to me, and I make a lot of updates to 1Password.

Looking above to jpgoldberg's post #11.....it seems that it happens most reliably when the only 2 extensions you have installed are the 1Password and Web Developer toolbar, which is what my setup on my two machines is.

-Kevin
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    netnothing wrote:
    Looking above to jpgoldberg's post #11.....it seems that it happens most reliably when the only 2 extensions you have installed are the 1Password and Web Developer toolbar, which is what my setup on my two machines is.

-Kevin

Okay, that's what I now have on my system. I'll wait around for a few months or maybe a year until the next 1Password upgrade comes out and see if the interaction issue comes up. What? 1Password releases an update every hour/day/week? I guess I won't have long too wait! ;)
  • netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Still happening with 3.2.1.

-Kevin
  • Logic Bus
    Logic Bus
    Community Member
    I experience a very similar problem when I install 1Password on a new Mac or when I download an update to 1Password. The difference is the Firefox extension that gets disabled as a result. I use an extension called searchOnTab : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3904/

When I install/update 1Password, the Firefox Add-ons window shows searchOnTab as incompatible. To work around this, I remove searchOnTab, restart Firefox, then reinstall searchOnTab, and restart Firefox again. After that, I can use 1Password and searchOnTab with no problem.
This discussion has been closed.