Primary Vault empty after upgrade. Start Over instructions in knowledge base do not solve problem.

Caysea
Caysea
Community Member

I upgraded to 1Password4 from the Apple App Store after the beta expired. Clicked the 'I am an existing user box'. Selected Dropbox sync. When prompted to select Dropbox folder, selected it from Finder, then selected 1Password.agilekeychain. 'Welcome to Password4!' screen appears, saying it has found my data in Dropbox and prompts for Master Password. Here's the problem: when I enter the Master Password, the lock icon moves to the open position, then the process just hangs. 1Password does not open. I was able to create a secondary vault and point to the 1Password.agliekeychain file, thereby creating a vault called 1Password, but the Primary Vault remains empty. I have followed the Start Over instructions in the database twice and get the same result each time. Fortunately, 1Password remains usable. When the program opens, it asks for the password for the Primary Vault, which opens empty. I then switch to the secondary 1Password vault. This is not a fatal problem, but it's quite irritating. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• twanak
    twanak
    Community Member

I had a very similar experience, except that mine opens and NONE of my data is there. Right now, I can only access my data through the app for cell phone and iPad which I am using. With dropbox, I don't actually know where the vault is, although I can locate the keychain file. Do you have any new thoughts on how to make this work?

• Caysea
    Caysea
    Community Member

More about empty primary vault issue. When using the secondary vault to enter a password on a website, 1Password prompts me to save password as though it were new. The popup requests the Master Password to unlock (the pimary vault?), but does not respond when I enter the password and hit the Unlock button. I am guessing it's defaulting to the empty primary vault, but why can't I unlock it?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi guys,

I'm sorry you're both having trouble with accessing your 1Password data. We'd like to help you through email to get this fixed as quickly as possible so please send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac that's having the problem; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic and your forum username in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. Thank you!

• Kenneth Ulmer
    Kenneth Ulmer
    Community Member

As I mention in the other thread I am having this exact issue. Did you manage to cook up a usable solution for this problem?

• Kenneth Ulmer
    Kenneth Ulmer
    Community Member

Okay so after spending 2.5 hour with this problem I finally managed to solve it.

First though, a few assumptions. Generally, it now seems that your keychain is stored within the program rather than in this agilekeychain file located on your file system (dropbox folder). Only if you select to do some external synchronization, say with dropbox, will you get the external file. In our case, when migrating from 1password 3 using dropbox sync we end up with the two vaults, i.e. your primary vault and your old vault. Both of these would exist within the 1password 4 program but only the old vault is within the agilekeychain located within dropbox.

In my case the file structure was like this:

/Users/<user>/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain

When pointing to that location I would get this weird issue, like the OP, that it would not unlock the vault. Then when restarting 1password I suddenly had two vaults. To fix it I did this:

1) Close 1Password, close 1Password Mini, close Dropbox
    2) Go to ~/Library/Containers in Finder
    3) Delete the folders: 
     - 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper
     - com.agilebits.onepassword-osx
     - I assume that the 2BUA8C4S2C number is some random stuff so it might look slightly different on your machine
    4) Move the 1Password file to this location instead:
     - /Users/<user>/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
    5) Restart your machine (this step is needed to let OS X save settings in the soon to be created files in the ~/Library/Containers folder)
    6) Start 1Password, go through the splash screen, accept the settings, 1Password should present you with the file located in your dropbox folder
    7) Close 1Password, close 1Password Mini
    8) Start 1Password again, it should go straight to the login option and automatically restart 1Password Mini
    9) Close 1Password, close 1Password Mini
    10) Start Dropbox and let it sync
    11) Start 1Password again
    12) Hopefully lean back with a cup of hot joe and enjoy a working 1Password. :)

Sources:

1) http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/86340/#Comment_86340

2) http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/90923/#Comment_90923

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks so much for providing your workflow here!

Generally, it now seems that your keychain is stored within the program rather than in this agilekeychain file located on your file system (dropbox folder). Only if you select to do some external synchronization, say with dropbox, will you get the external file.

You're right, your 1Password data is stored within the Library in SQLite format, and is copied and exported into agilekeychain (or Cloudkeychain) format when you select a sync solution.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through such a process to get things sorted out, and I do hope that they will continue to work smoothly for you now as you enjoy your cup of hot joe. Please do let us know if you run into any further snags though, we'd be happy to help!

• HEK
    HEK
    Community Member

Just bought your app today and was disappointed to see that even with the latest version the problem with empty database still remains now. I'll try the workaround recommended in another thread...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014

Hi @HEK,

I'm sorry you're encountering this problem with an empty database, too.

Are you running 1Password 4.1.2 (purchased from the Mac App Store) or 4.2.2 (with a license purchased from our Agile Web Store)? Is your home folder, where the 1Password 4 database is stored, on a network drive volume? Which thread has the workaround you want to try?

This issue has different causes so we'd like to determine specifically why it's happening for you and suggest a solution. Sending us a Diagnostics Report (see post #18) would help with doing that. Thank you!

• sjrosen
    sjrosen
    Community Member

I am trying to upgrade to version 4 (purchased from AgileBits store) and have run into a similar issue. I had been using Dropbox to sync my vault in version 3 (also from AgileBits store). When I first started 1Password 4, it detected the vault in Dropbox and offered to start from it, then showed the lock screen. I was able to unlock this vault using the master password that I had set in version 3, but it was empty. After quitting and restarting 1Password 4, the vault had my license file in it, but nothing else. Looking at the sync preferences, it does not appear to be set up to sync with Dropbox.

I have not been able to follow the suggestions found on the board, since I don't have any agilebits folders in ~/Library/Containers. I will send a diagnostic report to your support email address. Please let me know how I can try to diagnose this issue. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sjrosen‌,

We've received your email with the Diagnostics Report; thanks for sending that! Someone from our support team will respond directly in email to ensure nothing gets muddled up between here and there. :)

• sjrosen
    sjrosen
    Community Member

Thanks, but it looks like I was actually able to work it out on my own. Setting up Dropbox syncing caused the agilekeychain file to be merged into my primary vault.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sjrosen,

It's great to hear you've worked that out! If we can help you with anything else be sure to let us know. :)

• HEK
    HEK
    Community Member

Hi. Sorry for not giving you enough info. I thought version 4 only existed in the App store. I am not sure exactly the version (not at my Mac now), but it's the latest from the App store. Downloaded yesterday.

My database is stored in Dropbox at what I believe is the default location (/Users//Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain). It find the database because it requires the correct master password, but database is empty, and if I create an entry it does not sync to any other devices.

The workaround I refer to is here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/18203/primary-vault-empty-after-upgrade-start-over-instructions-in-knowledge-base-do-not-solve-problem - post from Kenneth December25th.

I have added three test entries on my Mac and the file /Users/Henrik/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/contents.js now contains:
    [["BDCC3757DFA248749A5C309EC54B73CD","securenotes.SecureNote","test fra 1p 4","",1396586367,"",0,"N"],["16B90EAA66F747838F220C47B78B0E53","securenotes.SecureNote","test 2 fra 1p 4","",1396586690,"",0,"N"],["B81A80E01E4D456BB40D282E2D1128ED","webforms.WebForm","testlogin 1p 4","",1396586708,"",0,"N"]]

I also see this file with the same content on my PC now, but 1Password on my PC still shows the correct full database and not these three test-entries. 11

I'll create a diagnostics report when I get back to my Mac.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HEK,

Thanks for the additional information about the problem you're having. I've merged your posts from the other topic into this one with the workaround you referred to.

I am not sure exactly the version (not at my Mac now), but it's the latest from the App store.

That's currently 4.1.2, with the next update coming soon. All updates for 1Password 4 purchased from the Mac App Store (MAS) will only come directly from Apple.

My database is stored in Dropbox at what I believe is the default location (/Users//Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain). It find the database because it requires the correct master password, but database is empty, and if I create an entry it does not sync to any other devices.

The 1Password 4 database is actually stored under your home folder. For the MAS version it's in:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

With Dropbox syncing configured, it's syncing data between a vault in the database with data in an Agile Keychain in Dropbox. Like what @Megan explained in post #7:

your 1Password data is stored within the Library in SQLite format, and is copied and exported into agilekeychain (or Cloudkeychain) format when you select a sync solution.

With that background, let's figure out where all your 1Password data currently is and what is/isn't being synced. :)

I have added three test entries on my Mac and the file /Users/Henrik/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/contents.js now contains: […]

When you select the Sync tab in 1Password's _Preferences window it'll probably show Dropbox syncing is configured with that keychain, similar to this:

I also see this file with the same content on my PC now, but 1Password on my PC still shows the correct full database and not these three test-entries.

Presumably a PC running 1Password for Windows? When you open the select the General tab in its Preferences window what does it show for its 1Password Data location? Something like this:

It might not be configured to use the same keychain in Dropbox that 1Password 4 on your Mac is configured to sync with.

I'll create a diagnostics report when I get back to my Mac.

Could you also create and send us a Diagnostics Report for Windows on your PC that runs 1Password? Sending both to support+forum@agilebits.com is preferred, and from the same email address if that's convenient.

Do you have 1Password running on other systems/devices. And is syncing configured on any of them or do you want it to be?

Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.