Can't restore from backup

Good morning,

Due to a security problem with one site I frequently use I decided to change all my passwords and start using 1Password.

I spent some hours yesterday configuring my Mac at home, changing passwords from a lot of sites and saving them to 1Password. I was planning on installing 1Password at work too, so I downloaded the installation file and created a backup file from my Mac. I did this because at work we have dropbox disabled, can't use it, so manual sync is requiered.

Problem comes when trying to restore from backup. Firt of all, default windows backup file extension seems to be agilekeychain_zip, while the one I created from my Mac is 1p4_zip. Maybe that's not an issue, I don't know. Anyways, when I click on it I get the following message:

1Password encountered a problem.
"C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\1Password\1Password 2013-11-17 21:02_5.agilekeychain" is not a 1Password Data Folder.
Changing your master password in the Mac version might correct this problem.

Help! Please! All my passwords are now 20 characters, alpha-symbol-numeric, random... can't remember them.

Thanks.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I'm afraid the backups you create in 1Password 4 for Mac are not compatible with 1Password for Windows :(

• pol
    pol
    Community Member
    edited November 2013

Oh my... What am I supposed to do then? Isn't there anyway I can sync the databases?

OK, what if: I manually copy the whole 1Password folder from dropbox into another folder, zip it, put it in a pen, and then take it to work? Will it work?

Also, is that folder in dropbox encrypted? I wouldn't like to carry around all my information...

• pol
    pol
    Community Member

I'd edit the previous post but it's been more than 1h:

Are backups encrypted?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

What am I supposed to do then? Isn't there anyway I can sync the databases?

Dropbox is our preferred sync solution between Mac and Windows.

what if: I manually copy the whole 1Password folder from dropbox into another folder, zip it, put it in a pen, and then take it to work? Will it work?

Yes, this will work. 1Password for Mac and Windows can read (and write) the same .agilekeychain

is that folder in dropbox encrypted? I wouldn't like to carry around all my information...

Yes.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Are backups encrypted?

Yes. Everything we write to disk (except for export to 1PIF) is encrypted.

• pol
    pol
    Community Member

Thanks svoundutch!
    I'll proceed with a manual copy of the folder everytime I make changes.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

A few things to remember:

• Be sure to copy the entire .agilekeychain package on your Mac, not just its contents.

• Don't paste a .agilekeychain folder on top of another; the "merged" result will not be a useful 1Password data folder.

• Be sure to retain the .agilekeychain extension; otherwise, 1Password for Windows won't recognize it as a valid 1Password data folder.

I hope that helps. Let us know how it goes, @pol.

• pol
    pol
    Community Member
    edited November 2013

Hi DBrown.
    I read your advises after doing it! Anyways, did it exactly as you said. :)

I am kind of security paranoid, and I'd like to ask a question: My computer at work might be used by someone else to access their account. It doesn't usually happen but still, it might happen. Am I secure having my passwords in my user? I have a very strong master password, but I'm afraid someone might find a way to see my passwords from the agilekeychain folder, get them from my cookies or something.

Any advice?

Thanks!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

My computer at work might be used by someone else to access their account.

1. make sure you store your .agilekeychain in Dropbox or in "My Documents" (or any other directory not shared across Windows user accounts)
    2. make sure 1Password auto-lock is set to 5 or 10 minutes (settings are here: File > Preferences > Security)
    3. when you walk away from your computer, either close the lid (laptop) or lock it (Windows logo key+L)

I'm afraid someone might find a way to see my passwords from the agilekeychain folder

Your passwords in the .agilekeychain directory are encrypted. They are protected by your master password. Please make sure your master password is strong: http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/21/toward-better-master-passwords/

• pol
    pol
    Community Member

Thanks svondutch!

• bppwd
    bppwd
    Community Member

Really, this is the best answer... please stick your passwords on a 3rd-party site that you don't control? Wifi sync works great between Mac and IOS. Please make it work between Mac->IOS, Mac->Mac, Mac->Win, Win->Mac, Win->IOS, etc.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password 4, currently in beta development, includes an option to sync your 1Password data manually over a temporary wi-fi connection to the 1Password app on your mobile device.

If you like, you can sign up to join the beta family here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

P.S. Your 1Password data is protected by your master password, even if someone were to get access to it...by stealing your computer, hacking your Dropbox account, or any other way. Without your master password, your 1Password data is gobbledegook.

This discussion has been closed.