Mouse cursor gets stuck when saving

Whenever I do something that causes 1Password to save (such as clicking "OK" to dismiss the edit login dialog), and I immediately try to move my mouse it gets stuck, usually two times before I can move it freely again.

Any tips on how to fix this? Is it a known issue?

Comments

• jdove
    jdove
    Community Member

Looks similar to the behavior described at http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/17273/firefox-extension-mouse-freezes-and-float-after-using-1password-extension-in-firefox but it happens at a different time.

Testing on another Windows box today, I've noticed that the mouse only appears to freeze when I have unlocked the Chrome extension (for Windows, 3.9.19.90). Perhaps the sync process is the culprit? I installed the Firefox extension (3.9.19) to try that, and while the mouse was unmovable for the first four seconds of syncing, it seemed to clear up - no freezing regardless of the Chrome extension state.

Unfortunately after exiting and restarting Firefox, we're back to freezing the mouse (when saving) when the Chrome extension is unlocked. This is quite reproducible now. Lock the Chrome extension - no freezing, unlock it, mouse is unusable for seconds after saving.

Let me know if any other info and/or a screencast would be helpful.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @jdove.

I've been unable to reproduce that behavior, following your steps as closely as I can. If you're still willing, a screencast might be helpful.

Thanks!

• jdove
    jdove
    Community Member

Unfortunately I can't capture what's happening with a screencast. Jing must be doing something with the cursor - as soon as I click record the problem goes away. After recording all I have to do is lock and unlock the Chrome extension and the issue resurfaces.

Trying to think of what else might be helpful... both machines are Windows 8.1 and I have about 450 logins in my database. Will try disabling other Chrome extensions.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

OK. Please let us know what you find out...and thanks!

• caine
    caine
    Community Member
    edited November 2013

I have the same problem in Google Chrome extension/Windows XP. Freeze happens only once when I strating Chrome or unlocking extension. Btw, keyboard freezes too, not only mouse cursor.
    1Password for windows 1.0.9.338 & Chrome extension 3.9.19.90

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @caine. We're hearing more reports of various problems with the extension for Chrome and working to figure out what's going on and whether they're related.

• Knightlie
    Knightlie
    Community Member

Hi,

Sorry to reanimate an old topic, but I'm having this issue with Chrome under Windows - whenever the 1Password extension seems to be doing something in the background, Chrome slows to a crawl - the mouse pointer and typed text update about twice per second. It happens after I unlock 1Password, after I save a login, when Chrome starts after rebooting and occasionally at other random times (twice while typing this post). I wonder if Chromes JavaScript engine is at fault?

It would be great if this could be addressed, it's making 1PW pretty much unusable for me under Chrome.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm not able to reproduce any similar problems, @Knightlie.

Do you have any antivirus/anti-malware or firewall software running that might be slowing the WebSockets communication between the extension and the main 1Password program?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014

Something is slowing 1Password down. Is your 1Password data on a network share, maybe? You might want to turn off your anti-virus "solution" (McAfee is notorious for slowing 1Password down).

• Knightlie
    Knightlie
    Community Member

Yep, this is a works machine using McAfee, so that's probably what the cause is - our My Documents folder is also on a network server on another site. I guess I'll just have to not use the extension. :(

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

our My Documents folder is also on a network server on another site

1Password is very File I/O-intensive. Our advise is to copy your 1Password data onto a local drive (not a network share).

• Knightlie
    Knightlie
    Community Member

I've done exactly that, and it's made an enormous difference - thanks for the guidance, guys.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014

Network shares also introduce the possibility of unresolved file contention, which could cause data corruption. That's why we specifically advise you not to store your 1Password data folder on one.

• jdove
    jdove
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

Glad you got it sorted out, @Knightlie, but I'm definitely not storing my data on a network drive - and still having the slow down. Will check on AV.

• Jo Booth
    Jo Booth
    Community Member

Having similar freeze in Chrome when unlocking 1password (while passwords load) or filling form/interacting with the 1password extension. 1password is stored in dropbox folder on local machine.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Jo, does it work any differently in other browsers?

This discussion has been closed.