How do you log into websites?

Options
Timothy Arends
Timothy Arends
Community Member

I have watched videos on 1Password and looked in 1Password help, but one thing I have not been able to figure out is, how do you actually log into websites?

Safari, Chrome and Firefox on Mac have their own plug-ins allowing you to login directly from your preferred browser. Is there anything like that in 1Password for IOS? That's what I was hoping and looking for when I purchased the app.

I know 1Password has its own built-in web browser, but when you use the Siri app or when some other application takes you to the web, it does not launch the 1Password browser.

Also, how do I use 1Password with standalone apps like Google, Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo, Dropbox and the hundreds of other apps that require a login?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Timothy,

I am sorry to say that due to the sandboxing of apps on iOS, Apple does not provide developers with a way to directly interface with other apps in this way, unless the app has included support for 1Password explicitly. Currently to log into other apps such as the Facebook native app, you would need to copy and paste from the 1Password app. 1Password makes this easy as you can simply tap on the username or password to copy it. 1Password will then clear out the clipboard within a given time period to ensure that your important information does not stay in the clipboard after you no longer have a need for it. You can check out Apps that love 1Password to see which apps have added 1Password integration into their interface.

These sandboxing restrictions also prohibit 1Password from providing browser extensions for mobile browsers. This is why we have 1Browser available within the 1Password app: to allow you to take advantage of 1Password's stored information and filling capabilities.

I hope this answers your questions, but please let me know if I can help with anything further :)

• SkipVogt
    SkipVogt
    Community Member
    Options

It would be nice if your marketing was clearer that 1Password would work ON the iPad, but not WITH the iPad. I have a whole bunch of apps -- banking, investment accounts, airline accounts, etc. -- for which I wanted to generate secure passwords, but it appears I can access these sites only from the 1Password browser, or by using some kludgy copy-and-paste scheme. Had Your literature been clearer on this, I wouldn't have bought the app. At least you should let people give it a trial first, instead of having to fight with Apple to get a refund.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SkipVogt,

I am sorry that you are frustrated with the limitations of 1Password on iOS. Believe me, we wish that there was a way for us to interact more directly with apps. If Apple ever gives us a way to do this, we'll be the first to implement it!

However, we really appreciate your feedback here. I'll pass your request along to our documentation team, we certainly don't want our users to be frustrated. :)

• gpdeoude
    gpdeoude
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

I agree with what SkipVogt is saying.
    We already bought the different versions for Mac and iPhone.
    We were also convinced that we could use it for locally installed Apps as well.

I understand the fact that Apple does not allow you integrating this.
    What 1Passwords could do is make it more easy to "copy" the password and past it to the App (eventually) using a shortcut so that we can follow the policy not saving passwords on a local machine as well.

What do you think?

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@gpdeoude

We already bought the different versions for Mac and iPhone. We were also convinced that we could use it for locally installed Apps as well.

Where did you see that 1Password for iOS autofills in third party apps?

In fact, it doesn't even do that on Mac - you can only fill webpages in a browser. You need to copy and paste for any other apps such as iTunes, etc.

What 1Passwords could do is make it more easy to "copy" the password and past it to the App

Have you seen the "action bar" in 1Password for iOS? If you swipe right across a login, you can easily copy the password by tapping the clipboard icon.

Hope that helps! :D

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Have you seen the "action bar" in 1Password for iOS? If you swipe right across a login, you can easily copy the password by tapping the clipboard icon.

I had not known about that really useful feature. Thanks for pointing it out! I need to remember to reread the documentation once in awhile.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gpdeoude,

Thanks so much for providing your feedback here. Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience - as a bit of an iOS addict, I would be absolutely giddy if I could use 1Password directly to fill in my epic random passwords into all of the apps that I use.

I hope that @JasperP's suggestion helped - it's a great trick to save you some steps :)

This discussion has been closed.