Dropbox deprecated old sync API used in 1Password 3 for iOS

Options
Zimmer
Zimmer
Community Member
edited September 2013 in iOS

1Password Pro working fine until yesterday on Iphone 5, I did a clean install of IOS 7 and installed 1Password pro, it won't sync. I enter my dropbox password and email, and it tells me it's wrong. I installed Dropbox on the phone and the dropbox app works perfectly. Also after using 1 password pro, next time it just comes up with a black screen, and I have to shut down the app.

Comments

• shadedream
    shadedream
    Community Member
    Options

Having this same issue. Came for a solution.

• shadedream
    shadedream
    Community Member
    edited September 2013
    Options
  • Zimmer
    Zimmer
    Community Member
    Options

So the solution is, that there is no solution, just pay for the app again. Is that correct ??

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Or use Wi-Fi syncing.

• Zimmer
    Zimmer
    Community Member
    edited September 2013
    Options

How will using Wifi syncing help with Dropbox ?
    Maybe I am missing something . I was away from IOS for a while recently.
    Am I correct in saying the only way to use 1password with Dropbox is to delete the previous version that I bought and pay €16 to buy the same app ("updated")that again works with dropbox ?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's correct. We're very sorry Dropbox has retired its original sync service, which affects syncing in 1Password 3 for iOS. If it can help, I’d like to explain a little about why it’s doing this.

The service that Dropbox retired was over six years old. Like Apple, Dropbox is quickly innovating its products. Sometimes, that means a company needs to retire legacy services in order to continue providing the best products possible.

More than anything we'd love to be able to update 1Password 3 for iOS, but we're not able to. When we launched 1Password 4 for iOS last year, we removed our three previous 1Password 3 for iOS apps from sale to avoid confusing customers. Apps removed from sale cannot be updated.

Our development efforts are now focused on making 1Password 4 for iOS even better. Fortunately, our Customer Support team is always willing and able to help you with anything you need for 1Password 3 for iOS if you wish to stick with it and forego Dropbox syncing in favor of Wi-Fi syncing.

We had a sale that ran for many weeks allowing folks to upgrade at a reduced price, I'm truly sorry if you missed it. We'd love to help you further if you have extenuating circumstances. We can't help with any financial matters on this public forum, but if you email us we'll see how we can best accommodate you: support@ agilebits .com

Thanks!

• Zimmer
    Zimmer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply khad,
    I'll leave it at this, but I still don't get agilebits stance on this. I know Dropbox changed it's methods, this they were perfectly entitled to do, and if agile bits, didn't have a fix, for the Dropbox changes then so be it. BUT agilebits did have a fix.
    They released the fixed version, the sync worked fine again, but they called the app, 1password 4, and charged for it again.
    Far as I'm concerned agile bits offer a paid version of a password manager for IOS called 1password. It's not cheap but it's well worth it (ONCE).
    Developers fix and update their programs, that's normal, but it's still just a password manager. In my opinion if you buy a "Pro" version of an IOS app then it should retain the functionality, it had at time of purchase, provided that functionality is within the capability of the developer.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The "fixed" version (1Password 4) was released in December 2012. The old version (1Password 3) that was using the old Dropbox API was removed from the App Store at that time. This was many months before Dropbox even gave any indication that this might happen. It is not possible to update an app on the App Store that is no longer for sale.

All that said, please do email us as I mentioned above so we can help you: support@ agilebits .com

We're here for you.

• Zimmer
    Zimmer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks khad, I did email support as you said and the official response is:

"As my colleague, Khad, mentioned, '1Password 4 for iOS' is an entirely new app. So, you are not purchasing the same app again."

So like I said, if I want to have the same functionality as I had, the day I bought 1Password (3), then I need to buy "an entirely new app" called 1Password (4). I might just wait until "an entirely new app" called 1Password (5) is released.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Zimmer,

In a way you are correct. The only way to continue using Dropbox syncing with 1Password on iOS is to use 1Password 4 for iOS instead of the old 1Password 3 for iOS that was discontinued in 2012.

That said, all updates to 1Password for iOS since v1 (including hundreds of free ones to v2 and v3) were free. This is the first paid upgrade on iOS in the history of 1Password.

As I also mentioned above, we can't help with financial matters on this public forum, but please email us with a link to this thread. We have ways of helping via email.

support@ agilebits .com

Thanks!

• Zimmer
    Zimmer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi khad, as I said above I DID email you with a link to this thread, and I posted the response.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm very sorry for any confusion, @Zimmer. I tried looking up your support ticket in our email system, but I was not able to find it. All I had to go on was the the email address you used for the forum, though, so it's certainly possible that you emailed us from a different address. If you send me a PM with the email address you used to contact us, I'd be happy to follow up. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zimmer,

I did a bit more research and managed to dig up your original message to our support team. I've sent you a reply, so you no longer have to message me through here ... unless you have any further questions, of course!

• Zimmer
    Zimmer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks khad and Megan

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is our pleasure to help! I'm glad Megan was able to get everything sorted out for you.

Cheers!

• SUDO
    SUDO
    Community Member
    Options

In considering at the core the framework Cocoa / iOS have changed very little in the past 12mths, and your application at its core is more than likely very similar, taking into account that there maybe a slight variant on your encryption method, I find your argument very hard to substantiate.
    Entirely new application would state that you do not adhere to the MVC architecture. Which is almost impossible not to adhere to these days. I say that your design has changed (Cocoa Touch framework), changing the look and feel of your app.
    I have to say that your app is great!
    However after missing the boat on your "discount period" whilst on holiday has left a bad taste in my mouth. Making existing customers pay a full price to rectify a shortcoming in your sync with Dropbox is bad customer relations. Especially when it is easily updated through a simple change of 1-3 method calls.
    You would have been better off to email a special discount code to all existing customers. Or done an in app upgrade at a smaller cost, through a push notification!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SUDO,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I do apologize that this upgrade left a bad taste in your mouth.

In considering at the core the framework Cocoa / iOS have changed very little in the past 12mths, and your application at its core is more than likely very similar, taking into account that there maybe a slight variant on your encryption method, I find your argument very hard to substantiate.

I certainly don't want to start arguing bits and bytes here. :) The reason that we cannot easily update 1Password 3 for iOS (as Khad discussed above) is not that the architecture of the app itself changed too radically, but the simple fact that 1Password 3 for iOS was removed from the App Store in December of 2012 when 1Password 4 for iOS was released. Apps removed from sale cannot be updated.

Again, you have my apologies that you were unable to take advantage of the sale. We tried to be as generous as we could possibly be here, including notifying current users via a push notification of the change to Dropbox's API, and not one, but two iOS sales in September to provide as many users as possible with the opportunity to purchase at a discount. That being said, I'll be sure to pass your suggestions along to our developers for future upgrades, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

• bassmint
    bassmint
    Community Member
    Options

I spent the last couple days trying to figure this out and it sucks. I have to spend another 18 bucks just to get sync working again? I didn't even know it wasn't syncing anymore till was out and stuck for some info. Is there at least a way I can do it manually, or am I screwed there too?

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@bassmint

As Khad said above:

Or use Wi-Fi syncing.

Basically, there are two options for you to continue to keep everything in sync:

This discussion has been closed.