Feature Request: File attachments in iOS apps

binaryeric
binaryeric
Community Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
Is 1Password for the iPhone going to support attachments?

Comments

• dteare
    edited December 1969
    binaryeric wrote:
    Is 1Password for the iPhone going to support attachments?

This is a tricky question to answer at the moment. The issue is making the sync work properly for this amount of data. The new iPhone OS 3.2 update has a cool new feature that would make this easier, but afaik I'm not allowed to discuss the specifics so I will need to stick with a general answer: we're investigating this and hope to support for attachments in the future.
  • binaryeric
    binaryeric
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    dteare wrote:
    This is a tricky question to answer at the moment. The issue is making the sync work properly for this amount of data. The new iPhone OS 3.2 update has a cool new feature that would make this easier, but afaik I'm not allowed to discuss the specifics so I will need to stick with a general answer: we're investigating this and hope to support for attachments in the future.

Dave, I'm vaguely familiar with the "thing we shall not speak of" :) ... Sounds good. Hopefully a solution can be found, but for the record- custom wallet types are waaaay higher on my priority list :)

Eric
  • rwakeford
    rwakeford
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    binaryeric wrote:
    but for the record- custom wallet types are waaaay higher on my priority list :)

The top of mine. Waited for a looooong time for them to re appear.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    rwakeford wrote:
    The top of mine. Waited for a looooong time for them to re appear.

I'm excited to share a release date for this with you, but I'm going to try and curb my enthusiasm. For now anyway :)

What I will say, however, is the biggest problem with the custom wallet items was they wrecked havoc on the iPhone. Now that 1Password touch 2.3 is live in App Store, the biggest obstacle has been cleared. There's still more work to be done, but we're closer.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Cool
  • glv
    glv
    edited December 1969
    I just want to revive this thread and ask whether this feature is still being considered.

Recently, a friend was traveling overseas and her passport was stolen. I've heard stories about trips being completely ruined by lost passports, but in her case it only cost her a day. Why? Because she had a scan of the photo/signature page from her passport on her laptop. The U.S. consulate she went to said that really helped them speed up the process of getting her a replacement.

We're planning a family trip overseas in a few months, so I naturally thought I should do the same thing. And since that's a scan you wouldn't want to fall into the wrong hands, I naturally thought of 1Password. And it would automatically sync to my iPad and iPhone, giving me redundancy as we travel.

I was dismayed when I scanned all our passports today, synched, and they didn't show up. :-(
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    glv wrote:
    I just want to revive this thread and ask whether this feature is still being considered.

I was dismayed when I scanned all our passports today, synched, and they didn't show up. :-(

I'm sorry, but there hasn't been any direct progress on this recently. It is still something that we plan to do. When I went on a cruise (thanks Dave & Roustem!) in late January, I used the ScannerPro app to take pictures of my passport information. It has remarkable detail and is simple to use. I know, it's not 1Password, it's not encrypted and the app isn't free but it fit my immediate needs very well.

I *think* that when iPhone OS 4 comes out we'll have some exciting new capabilities on the mobile front that we can take advantage of, and I'm hopeful that viewable attachments in 1Password might be one of the results (that's not a commitment, just my own personal wish).
  • glv
    glv
    edited December 1969
    Marty, thanks for the update. Our trip is in December, so you have several months to make me happy after iPhone OS 4 comes out. :-)
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    glv wrote:
    Marty, thanks for the update. Our trip is in December, so you have several months to make me happy after iPhone OS 4 comes out. :-)

Oh, so no pressure on us at all. That's great to hear! :) Just remember... what I said wasn't a promise, just an expectation. Our developers are going to be at WWDC in just a few weeks to hear first-hand about any new capabilities that we could then depend on.
  • jsteve3000
    jsteve3000
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    This would be a superb feature to have and is the only thing 1Password is currently lacking for me.
    Keep up the good work and I will keep checking back hoping this is implemented.

:-)

P.S. Even if the attachments are not viewable on the iPhone it would serve as a good backup solution for that data.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    jsteve3000 wrote:
    This would be a superb feature to have and is the only thing 1Password is currently lacking for me.
    Keep up the good work and I will keep checking back hoping this is implemented.

:-)

P.S. Even if the attachments are not viewable on the iPhone it would serve as a good backup solution for that data.

Thanks for the kind words! For tips, updates and news about 1Password on any of our supported platforms may I suggest that you occasionally visit our weblog at http://blog.agile.ws/, where you can signup for our Newsletter too.

Your point about the data backup is a good one and that's one reason we're interested in doing this if some of the other technical issues can be addressed.
  • iLuke
    edited December 1969
    Hi!

I second the request to have attachment support in 1Password Touch, at least to be able to see JPG, PDF and TXT files.

My usage case is the same that Glv already outlined in an earlier post: I would like to carry a few selected and very personal documents (digital copies of ID documents and such) on my iDevice that I don't feel comfortable to store on cloud services like Dropbox or iDisk. 1Password Touch would be the perfect tool for that task! :-)

Cheers!
  • I have just created a new wallet item on my IMac including an attachment (a 4MB JPEG file). After synching the new wallet item appears on both my IPhone and iPad but without the attachment. Is this a result of the file size or is synching of attachments not supported? Thanks David
  • carlism
    carlism
    Community Member
    Does 1Password touch support attachments at all in wallet items? I don't see where to add one if I wanted to.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi davidfromdigswell and carlism,

Welcome to the forums!

At this time 1Password does not support attachments in our iOS apps. Sorry if there was any confusion. This is something we are evaluating in future versions, although I do not have anything to announce at this time.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2011
    Let me just add to what Khad said,

khad wrote:

At this time 1Password does not support attachments in our iOS apps. Sorry if there was any confusion. This is something we are evaluating in future versions, although I do not have anything to announce at this time.

One issue we face in approaching this is the size of the data to be stored on the device and the size of the data transfer. Not everyone is on an unlimited data plan on their iOS devices. Syncing attachments might end up costing them money.

It's too earlier to tell what approach we will be taking to this. One idea is to have a mechanism for people to be able to indicate which attachments they would like synced to iOS (defaulted to not syncing). This will require changes to our data formats on both desktops and on iOS. We are, of course, Agile, so we can handle this sort of change; but it does mean that we need to be careful.

Cheers,

-j
  • davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member
    jpgoldberg wrote:

It's too earlier to tell what approach we will be taking to this. One idea is to have a mechanism for people to be able to indicate which attachments they would like synced to iOS (defaulted to not syncing). This will require changes to our data formats on both desktops and on iOS. We are, of course, Agile, so we can handle this sort of change; but it does mean that we need to be careful.

I really hope this feature makes it into 1Password Touch as I can see thousands of use cases where a picture would be nice to have.

Membership cards with barcodes on them, one-time password cards, drivers license and so on..

Best regards,
    David
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2010
    Indeed. I would love the feature myself. As Jeff mentioned we are working on the balance between file size (and thus data usage) and convenience. Perhaps an option (with appropriate warning) would be a good idea.

Thanks for letting us know this would be useful to you as well, David! :-)
  • hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member
    +1 for this feature request ... I'd really like to be able to access these attachments from my iPad.
  • robprankster
    robprankster
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Thanks for the vote Paul, it's good to get an idea of how many users would find this feature useful if we were to implement it.

here's another vote for this feature... Rob
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Rob! Thanks for letting us know this would be useful to you as well. :-)
  • jw34
    jw34
    Community Member
    edited November 2010
    Huge vote for this.
    I've been looking for a way to have certain PDF files with me in a secure way but there isn't anything available. Since I use 1P for all my other information, this would be a wonderful feature.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Agreed! I would love to see this myself. Thanks for "casting your vote," jw34.
  • Hi!

I tried to sync a pdf attachment to a secure note via dropbox between my mac and my iphone. Unfortunately, the sync failed. I can see the notes text but not the pdf.

I really need to get this working. Does anyone have an idea what I did wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Juergen
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2010
    Attahment syncing is not supported yet from desktop to iOS . Sorry to have to tell you. :(
  • DaveDK
    DaveDK
    Community Member
    Hello,

It would be great to be able to store pictures from the camera roll in encrypted form in 1password on the iPhone. This could be usefull e.g. for challenge response cards from internet banking sites and for misc membership cards (take a picture of the card and show your iphone when using the card...)

Cheers

David
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, David! I have merged your post with the appropriate thread. Please see above and let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. :-)

Cheers!
  • I created a forum account just so I could add my vote for this feature. Again for the exact same reasons people specified before. I'd like to keep a secure copy of my passports, driver's license, and any applicable visas for traveling in case they're lost or stolen while abroad. I hope this feature is added soon!
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    iDevin wrote:

I created a forum account just so I could add my vote for this feature. Again for the exact same reasons people specified before. I'd like to keep a secure copy of my passports, driver's license, and any applicable visas for traveling in case they're lost or stolen while abroad. I hope this feature is added soon!

Welcome to the forums, iDevin, and for your "vote" on this capability.

Until iOS 4 from Apple, support for external viewers from apps was extremely difficult and 1Password's specialty isn't in writing PDF viewers, etc., just like there isn't that capability directly in 1Password for Mac without opening the attachment in a separate application. iOS 4 seems to have changed that game somewhat, we think. We are still examining our options now and will attempt to improve the user experience in future releases.

As was mentioned early on in this thread, there is also the issue of attachment file sizes and syncing that we need to address as well due to the limited storage of the mobile devices compared to a Mac or PC.
  • kilgoretrout
    kilgoretrout
    Community Member
    This is very important to me, so I'd like to add my vote
This discussion has been closed.