1Password Mini Startup Issue

Options
Monica Rix Paxson
Monica Rix Paxson
Community Member

I have 1Password set up to open at login. However 1Password Mini says it can't make a connection. I believe it is an issue with the order in which they load. Once the main app has loaded and the Master PW has been entered, I can have Mini retry and it finds it. However this is an unwanted interruption for me. Why do I have to enter the Master PW before I even need the app? I find this intrusive. Is there some way to manage this, or must I disable Mini 1Password?

Comments

• Hi Monica,

You don't have to unlock the app to restart 1Password mini, the Help Menu > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password Mini is accessible even if 1Password is locked.

Do you have 1Password configured to keep 1Password mini running all the time? If yes, the issue might be because OS X is launching 1Password mini's process in the background while it also opens the main 1Password app at the same time. When that happens, one of the process blocked the other process from establishing a connection.

Is there a reason that you'd like the main 1Password app to run at startup? Would it work better for you if 1Password mini opens and there's an option to open the main 1Password app?

• jschaffe
    jschaffe
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to have Mini start at log in? It seems to appear only once I start 1Password4 at some point after starting up.

• jschaffe
    jschaffe
    Community Member
    Options

I should say I'm experiencing this on my work computer, where I haven't and don't want to install the browser extension. (I'm keeping personal and professional IDs and passwords completely separate).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @jschaffe.

Do you have this Always keep 1Password mini running option enabled under Preferences… > General?

With that enabled, the key icon for 1P mini should appear in your menu bar after login without having to run the main 1P4 application. And 1P mini can be used without installing any 1P4 web browser extensions.

I hope that's helpful. If you're having issues with it working that way please let me know and we'll get them fixed. Thanks!

• mybrainishuge
    mybrainishuge
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem as @jschaffe. 1Password Mini didn't automatically launch when logging into my Mac. I already had the box ticked that @sjk referenced above. I removed the tick, quit both 1Password and Mini, and re-opened both to re-enable the setting. 1Password Mini still didn't launch at login. Here's what I did to fix it:

1. Open Finder and navigate to the Applications folder.
    2. Control+click on 1Password 4 and select Show Package Contents.
    3. Navigate to Contents > Library > LoginItems. The 1Password mini application should be located here.
    4. Leave that window open and launch System Preferences beside it.
    5. Select Users & Groups.
    6. Select your user.
    7. Select Login Items.
    8. Drag the 1Password Mini application from the Finder window into the Login Items panel in System Preferences.

This had to be added by dragging and dropping from Finder because the add/browse function inside System Preferences doesn't let you view package contents. This added 1Password Mini to my Login Items. It now launches automatically when I log into my Mac. I no longer have to launch 1Password 4 to get Mini to load. It would be nice if the check box @sjk referenced added 1Password Mini to the Login Items for you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mybrainishuge.

Manually adding the 1P mini helper to Login Items should not be required for it to run automatically at login when the Always keep 1Password mini running option is enabled. Would you mind sending us a Diagnostics Report so we can help you figure out why that's not happening on your system? Instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic and your forum username in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thank you!

• mybrainishuge
    mybrainishuge
    Community Member
    Options

I just emailed a Diagnostic Report to //support@agilebits.com. The email subject matches that of this thread.

I may have identified what was preventing 1P Mini from launching at login. I have a habit of closing all programs and menu bar items before shutting down my computer. I also make sure the checkbox isn't ticked to reopen windows when logging back in. If I quit 1P Mini before shutting down/logging off, it will not launch at next login. If I leave it running, it will. It seems 1P has a problem launching 1P Mini at login if it was manually quit before the previous log out.

Furthermore, I started having problems after having manually added 1P Mini to the user Login Items. The next time I logged in, it seems a conflict had developed between the manual 1P Mini entry I added to Login Items and however 1P configures it to launch automatically. Once I removed the manual entry from the user Login Items and rebooted, it launched fine (assuming I hadn't quit 1P Mini before last logging off).

• mybrainishuge
    mybrainishuge
    Community Member
    Options

The hyperlink on the webpage you referred me to above may be bad. It says to email support+forum@agilebits.com but clicking it opens an email to //support@agilebits.com as mentioned in my above post. I resent the email to support+forum@agilebits.com and support@agilebits.com. Hopefully, one of those is good.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mybrainishuge. We've received your email and report… multiple times. No worries. :)

You're quite correct - the mailto hyperlink was inaccurate and is fixed now. Thanks for noticing and mentioning that.

• mybrainishuge
    mybrainishuge
    Community Member
    Options

I expect you to reply to each duplicate email individually. Let no email go to waste!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Whoops. :)

We're looking into the problem with 1P Mini not launching at login.

Okay, we've now reproduced it and will follow up with you more about it in email.

This discussion has been closed.