1P Doesn't Go to the Login Page

Options
hansbraul
hansbraul
Community Member

When I set up a password on an internet account, usually (unfortunately inconsistent!), 1P asks if I want to save that info. I say yes, then to test, I close the page, go to 1P and ask it to log in. It often doesn't go to the right page, and things just sit there till I manually find the login page and enter the info by cutting and pasting. Hardly "automatic" as advertised!

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi again, @hansbraul. :)

Can you please mention which versions of 1P4, web browser(s), and OS X you're using? And if you you can remember and mention some specific site(s) where you're having this issue that would useful. Thanks in advance for any additional information to help get this working better for you!

• hansbraul
    hansbraul
    Community Member
    Options

I am on version 4.0.8, using Safari 7.0, and OS X version 10.9. I have over 35 logins and this was a common occurrence in many of them. I don't remember exactly which ones did what, but I can say the interaction between 1P4 and the various pages was highly variable. One of the issues I found was that 1P4 would not remember the right login page for the website. So typically I have to manually cut and paste from 1P4 to the right fields in the login page to get into the site.

• MacLook
    MacLook
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with hansbraul. I am on version 4.0.8, using Safari 7.0, and OS X version 10.9. Some logins work, some don't, & there are a variety of behaviors. I'm new to 1Password & not too happy right now. I can't access my sites even when I copy & paste. I really don't like what I paid for so far.

• MacLook
    MacLook
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add to my comment. I purchased the "Take Control" book & followed it to set up my first few sites. When I did that everything worked fine & I was really impressed. The only difference since then was my upgrade to Mavericks. The time I've wasted today alone on 1PW is enough to make me want to take my chances with hackers.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

Let's try to figure out what's causing problems with your 1P4 usage. It's only working incorrectly in certain cases and fine in others?

@hansbraul:

…go to 1P and ask it to log in. It often doesn't go to the right page, and things just sit there till I manually find the login page and enter the info by cutting and pasting.

>

One of the issues I found was that 1P4 would not remember the right login page for the website. So typically I have to manually cut and paste from 1P4 to the right fields in the login page to get into the site.

Is Go & Fill failing to open the correct web page and/or fill forms on it? When that happens have you selected a Login item from the 1P main app and/or mini?

When you visit the correct page are you unable to fill it from an existing Login item for it (e.g. using the Command-\ shortcut for Fill Login on current web page)? If that happens are you copying/pasting the information from the same item?

You may be able to fix these troublesome sites by manually saving new Login items for them.

@MacLook:

I can't access my sites even when I copy & paste.

Could you describe your workflow that leads to that failure and other issues you're having? Mentioning any specific sites would also be useful, especially if manually saving new Login items for them hasn't helped.

Thanks for your patience to resolve this.

• hansbraul
    hansbraul
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - sorry I haven't had a chance to respond in detail. Here's how I think this happens: When I changed my password, I use the auto generator, and 1P4 asks if I want to save the login info. I say yes. Then when I ask 1P4 to "open and fill", it goes back to the password change page, which is what it memorized when I was changing my password. So I change the "open and fill" address to the homepage for the site, which is not a login page. It sits there because there is no login screen. I guess I would have to cut and paste the login page address into 1P4. The thing is, I thought all this was supposed to be automatic. So much manual cut and paste!?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the helpful explanation, @hansbraul.

Hopefully a few things will make it easier for you …

When I changed my password, I use the auto generator, and 1P4 asks if I want to save the login info. I say yes.

Did you see a 1Password Update Login window like this?

Or was it a 1Password Autosave window to save a new login like this?

The second one is what you'll see when 1Password can't locate a Login item to update.

So I change the "open and fill" address to the homepage for the site, which is not a login page.

Instead of trying to fix a Login item that isn't working it can be more desirable and reliable to create a new one with these steps:

Saving a new Login manually

After confirming new Login items work correctly, and have any other information you want to keep (e.g. custom fields, notes), you can delete older items that failed so they're not used accidentally.

I guess I would have to cut and paste the login page address into 1P4.

The login page is the starting point before manually saving a new Login item.

And here's another document that that may help:

How to Update A Password On A Website

The thing is, I thought all this was supposed to be automatic.

We are working hard to make it as automatic as possible but some websites don't play as nicely with 1Password as others.

Please let me know if I can help you more with this or anything else. Thanks!

• hansbraul
    hansbraul
    Community Member
    Options

Helpful tips, Oversoul - thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @hansbraul.

Enjoy your holidays!

This discussion has been closed.