1Password and Bank of America [Updated with Instructions for 1Password 4]

scotty321
scotty321
Community Member
edited November 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
How do we use 1Password (Safari browser extension) with the Bank of America website?

Bank of America has a 2-page login process, but 1Password NEVER RECOGNIZES that the first page is simply a username that we need to submit. The 1Password AutoSave Bar never shows up for this first page of the login process, so we can NEVER SAVE the 1st page of Bank of America's login process. (Even if we try manually adding this information into 1Password as a saved login, it just doesn't work.)

Take a look at the screenshot below. This is what the first page of the Bank of America login process looks like... but there is absolutely no way to save this in 1Password to effectively get us to the 2nd page of the login process.

If we save the 2nd page of the login process into 1Password (which 1Password DOES recognize), the Bank of America website yields an error message and takes us back to the 1st page of the login process and asks us to resubmit our username again. And yet again, 1Password won't save that username again.

This is very frustrating, because we can't use 1Password to automatically jump to the Bank of America website and sign us in. We have to manually go to the Bank of America website within Safari, then manually submit our username, then manually tell 1Password to fill out the information on the 2nd login page.

Can you please fix 1Password to support the second largest bank in America?

Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Scotty! Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Here is the method for saving a Login manually via the 1Password extension:

1. Enter your credentials ("Online ID") on the first page of the login process, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    3. Enter your password in the "password" field and optionally change the title and make any notes if desired.
    20120929-rfiw6pg182s7u6mgnxew79wd2w.png

4. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Do that on the Bank of America home page to save a new Login.

That is how I created my Bank of America Login that I use every day. Please let me know how it goes for you. I'm sure we can get it working as well for you as it does for the rest of the Bank of America and 1Password users. :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The "+" button will only save the information you have filled in a page's form fields. If you have opted to save your Online ID on the first page of Bank of America's login process, then there will be nowhere for you to input it on the page and no way for 1Password to save it. To clear your Online ID, visit this page on the Bank of America website:

Manage your saved Online IDs

Can you guys please update the Safari browser extension for Mountain Lion to support Bank of America?

It works great with Bank of America. I and hundreds (perhaps even thousands) of folks use it every day. Like you, I am also using Safari 6.0.1 on OS X 10.8.2 with version 3.9.8 of the extension.

Please let me know how it goes when you have cleared your Online ID so you can actually fill the form field so that 1Password has something from the page to actually save. :)

Cheers,
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2012
    It can be a bit more work for certain sites, but if you had not instructed Bank of America to save your Online ID it would have been much easier. The Bank of America site is also another edge case in that it uses a multi-page login process. Most of the time, you just log in, 1Password will automatically prompt you to save a Login, and click the "Save" button. Same workflow as any browser's own password manager. In fact, I don't know of any browser's password manager that works with multi-page login processes.

1Password saves the exact URL of the login page since it has a Go & Fill feature which will load the URL (which is not always the home page for many sites) and automatically log you in. If you save an invalid URL in the Login item, 1Password has no way of knowing what the correct URL is. We recommend always saving Logins on the site's main Login page.

So multi-page login processes and Go & Fill are two things Safari's own password manager cannot do. To that list you can also add cross-browser support —1Password works in Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer — as well as cross-platform support — 1Password syncs with Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Android, and Windows Phone 7. Safari's passwords are locked into one browser on one computer. It is not very helpful to have strong unique passwords like 7*RLdEB=+GB)K$G7;ZN9MFo%i6JC6T2t4C3gusF/tgRCvcDMZr if you can't access them in every browser you use on every computer and device. Part of security is data availability.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Indeed. There are many benefits to using 1Password over a single browser's password manager. From a security standpoint it is also nice to have the storage of passwords decoupled from the browser.

If there's anything else I can help with, you know where to find me. Enjoy your weekend! :D
  • WillK
    WillK
    Community Member

Hi, I just got IP4 and this procedure does not work with Bank of America. Can you post updated instructions?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WillK,

We've done some testing here, and it seems like these instructions should still be good!

There are a few things to remember about the Login though:

• Autosubmit does not work on page one, so you will need to manually submit the first page, but the username is filled in.
    • On the password page, the password is filled in and automatically submitted.
    • There may be an intermediary page with a security question if it's the first time you are logging in with that browser/computer, but that is the same with pretty much every bank. Check the box to remember that computer, and you won't have to do that every time (presuming you aren't wiping out all your cookies every time).

If you're still having difficulty, please give me a bit more detail about where the Login is failing for you. :)

• WillK
    WillK
    Community Member

Still confused, sorry. Step 1: clear your B of A Online ID (OK). Step 2: Go to B of A Sign In page and enter your Online ID, but do not save or sign in yet (OK). Step 3: while at B of A Sign In page, click 1P browser extension to add login info to 1P (this is where I get lost, there is no + sign in Chrome browser extension and 1P does not prompt me). Also, the above instructions don't seem accurate because there are two pages for the B of A login process (first page = Sign In, second page = Passcode) and you have to know what to do on each page.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WillK,

Step 3: while at B of A Sign In page, click 1P browser extension to add login info to 1P (this is where I get lost, there is no + sign in Chrome browser extension and 1P does not prompt me).

My apologies! In 1Password 4 you will see a gear icon (or a vault icon if you have multiple vaults set up). Click this to bring up the Settings menu and find 'Save new Login.' Please try following the instructions - Khad uses this bank on a regular basis, and he is able to do so with the Login saved in a single entry created as listed above.

Just to clarify: you'll need to manually click the button to submit the form on the first page after using ⌘\ to fill the username. Then on the second page ⌘\ will perform as expected: fill and submit.

I hope this helps!

• alliecat
    alliecat
    Community Member

okay, i just downloaded 1 password and am having the same problem with BoA. i also didn't have the + sign, but noticed the last post and pressed the gear icon and then choose the "save new login". At that point, it's a bit unclear what to do. My only option is to press "Save" or "not Save" for this new BofA password. I press Save. now where do I do all of the other steps, like add the Passcode etc. Do i go into the saved Login and edit and add passcode manually? I tried that and it would only get me through the first Usename page without having to submit, but then the Passcode page wouldn't populate on its own.

I must be missing something. Help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

Hi @alliecat,

I'm sorry that you're having difficulties getting a Login set up for Bank of America! Here are the new steps for 1Password 4:

1. Enter your credentials ("Online ID") on the first page of the login process, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the gear icon in the upper right hand corner. (If you have multiple vaults enabled, instead of a gear you will see a vault icon.)
    3. Select “Save new Login” from the menu that popped up.
    4. Change the title if desired, and click Save.
    5. Find your new Login in the 1Password main app and click Edit.
    6. Enter your password in the "password" field.

To test this Login:

• Click on the website in the main app to open and fill in your default browser.
    • The first page will populate with your username, and you will need to click the button to submit.
    • When the second page loads, use the keyboard shortcut ( ⌘\ ) to fill and submit your password.

I hope this helps :)

• WillK
    WillK
    Community Member

I tried this and now B of A keeps requesting a SafePass code whenever I try to log in (presumably because I did not click "Remember my Online ID" the first time I logged in). Any ideas?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WillK,

It sounds to me like you might have cleared the cookies from your browser (or blocked cookies in the first place). Even if you don't save your Online ID (via that checkbox), the site will remember that you are using a trusted computer (or whatever they call it) because it deposits a cookie in the cache.

• WillK
    WillK
    Community Member

I've been using 1P for two weeks now, cookies are enabled, and B of A it still asks for a SafePass code every time I try to log in with 1P (even when I use the keyboard shortcut, which I generally do every time because it won't autofill with B of A). I love the way 1P works, it's awesome, but this one problem is definitely bugging me, not sure why it's happening.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure either. Unfortunately, the display of the SafePass is something that is controlled by the Bank of America website. There is nothing that 1Password can do to make it go away (or appear).

I have had a Bank of America account for years, though, and I successfully log into it with 1Password all the time. In fact, I just did so a few hours ago. I'm sure we can get things working as well for you as they do for me.

Can you include a screenshot of Safari's Privacy preference pane from your Mac? Here is my own as an example:

Once you've taken a screenshot, click the "Details…" button in the "Cookies and other website data" section.

From there, enter "bankofamerica" in the search field. Do you see a cookie for "bankofamerica.com" like the one shown here?

This discussion has been closed.