Master password after migrating to new iPad Air

Options
JimWharton
JimWharton
Community Member

I have the last version of 1Password before the re-buy (3, I think...not the Pro version). After migrating all my apps and data to the new machine (iPad Air, iOS 7.0.4), suddenly the app will not accept my password. I am absolutely not typing it wrong. I'm up to 10 failed attempts checking and double-checking. The old machine was traded in a wiped. Any ideas why this might be happening and if there is a work around?

Jim W.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimWharton,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having difficulty accessing 1Password on your new iPad. Do you have 1Password installed on any other computers or devices? What process did you use when migrating your data to the new machine? Once I know a bit more about your situation, we should be able to get it sorted out!

• JimWharton
    JimWharton
    Community Member
    Options

iPad installation only. Installed on my iPad 2 originally. Best Buy did the migration using some kind of Geek Squad app. I then connected to my iMac at home to finish the set up. Hasn't accepted the password since. Thanks for your help.

Jim W.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimWharton,

By any chance, did you use run the Backup and Restore function in 1Password before having your iPad wiped?

• JimWharton
    JimWharton
    Community Member
    Options

No. I figured the Apple back up would be enough. I didn't think I'd have to go into every app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimWharton,

If you have an Apple backup, that could still help us! Please see the instructions on Apple's site on How to Backup and Restore your Content and see if you are able to restore your data this way - I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

• JimWharton
    JimWharton
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your attention to this issue thus far. I have my devices back up every time I connect them to sync, which I have done since migrating and since the problem began. Do you think this would still help?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimWharton,

Thanks so much for your patience as we try and sort this out. I've conferred with a colleague, and I have some steps here that might help you restore 1Password 3 for iOS data from iTunes backups. Please give this a shot. We can't make any promises here, but again, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

• JimWharton
    JimWharton
    Community Member
    Options

I managed to save the .sqlite file to my desktop, but the instruction than require me to access the setting menu in the iPad app...which I can't do without getting through the unlock code, which leaves me back where I started. Bummer. Any way to activate the settings menu without first entering the unlock code...or restoring without entering the iPad app?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimWharton,

Since the iPad app isn't letting you in, you can try reinstalling it:

To start fresh, please try:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

When you open 1Password for the first time, set it up as a new user with the same Master Password as you've used before and then follow the steps (above) to import from your desktop.

• JimWharton
    JimWharton
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds promising. I will try that tonight.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimWharton,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

• JimWharton
    JimWharton
    Community Member
    Options

Megan! You are a genius! Worked like a charm. I deleted the app, set up as a new user, then restored from the backup created by iExplorer. All my data is there. Thank you so much. No excuse me while I create a back-up of said data immediately.

Gratefully,

Jim Wharton

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimWharton,

I'm so glad to hear that this worked for you!! I wish I could take all the credit, but I did need to get a bit of extra tech help from one of our gurus - you gave us a good challenge there.

Thanks so much for your patience as we sorted this out - and yes! Backups are your friend :)

This discussion has been closed.