How to Transfer iOS Data to Mac

Options
Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Incomplete sync.

Comments

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I'm having the same issue, but slightly different. I had 1Password 3.9.6 running on my old iMac running Mac OS 10.7.5. All 1Passwords on my phone updated properly to my computer.

I now have a new iMac running Mac OS 10.9. I installed 1Password 4.0.8 on this new iMac. My old 1Password data was brought in (I'm not sure how), but now I cannot get this iMac to receive new sync information from my iOS 7 iPhone running the 4.3.2 app.

Right now, my phone is the only storage location with a complete data set, so I do not want to delete the app and start over. Also, I apparently can no longer sync with 3.9.6 running on my old iMac. I'm looking for a non-iCloud method to sync data.

Thank you,

Rick

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickyBobby,

I've split our conversation into its own thread to keep things from getting too cluttered in the previous topic. Although that topic was concerned with syncing as well, our solutions here are going to be quite different. :)

Thanks for providing the version numbers of your software and operating systems in the original post - it makes this process a lot more efficient!

So, because we have several different versions going on here, you have a couple of different options:

• Sync all your computers and devices using Dropbox. You mentioned wanting to avoid iCloud, which is fine, and we can make this work with a non cloud-based solution if you'd prefer, but this might be the easiest choice.
    • Sync 1Password 4 for iOS and 1Password 4 for Mac via Wi-Fi, then use Folder Sync to keep 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 3 for Mac in sync.

Please let me know which option sounds best to you and then we can get started with some more detailed instructions if you'd like. :)

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thanks for taking your time on Thanksgiving!

I would prefer to stay out of the cloud with my personal information (no iCloud, DropBox, et al.).

I have tried performing a Wi-Fi sync but was unsuccessful. Could you coach me through this process?

Thanks - and I can wait until tomorrow for a reply.

Regards,

RB

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickyBobby,

Happy Thanksgiving to you! As a Canadian, I'm not officially required to stuff myself with turkey today, but I do enjoy an extra opportunity to be thankful for all that is awesome.

I'd be happy to coach you through this, and I completely understand wanting to stay out of the cloud. Now, keep in mind that there will need to be some sort of sync solution (like a local/home network) to keep the data synced up between your Macs, but we should be able to make this happen for you.

Could you tell me where in the process Wi-Fi sync started going sideways? This will give me a better idea of where to start off. :)

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I decided to try following the instructions for "Back up your 1Password data through iTunes." Under "Save the data file to your computers," it asked me to select the 1Password.agilekeychain data file in the right column, and then press Save to button. The directory I am supposed to save to is:

Home > Library > Containers > com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper > Data > Library > Application Support > 1Password > Backups

I do not have this directory. And I do not know how to create it given Containers is a hidden folder (I cannot navigate to this location).

But this may point to the problem. I initially purchased 1Password 3 from the AgileBits store. Most recently, I purchased 1Password 4 from the Apple App Store. Could my sync be going to the wrong location? I noticed there are different Backups folder locations depending on where I purchased the software. If so, could you tell me how to set it up properly?

Thank you,

Mark

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mark ( @RickyBobby ),

I think that Wi-Fi sync might be a simpler way to get your data transferred, but we can try doing it via iTunes file sharing if you'd prefer.

First of all, please note that the iTunes file sharing option is not a sync - it is a manual transfer that will have to be repeated anytime you change an entry. But it should work to get your database transferred into 1Password 4.

Since you only have old data in 1Password 4 and your database is up-to-date on your iOS device, Let's start fresh with a new install of 1Password 4 on your Mac, just so we can set it up exactly how we want it. Please follow the directions here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/start-over.html

When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, set it up as a new user, but be sure to give it the same Master Password as you are currently using for 1Password 3 and your iOS device. Once 1Password is set up with the Master Password, quit the program

Now we'll follow the instructions for iTunes File Sharing, with a slight change, since we are using this data file not as a backup, but your primary database:

When you see the 'Save to' screen:

• Press Command + Shift + G
    • Copy and paste the following (be sure to include the ~ ):

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

When you open 1Password 4, does it automatically pull up your database now?

If you run into any snags here, please let me know where the trouble came in, and we'll go from there! :)

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I followed your instructions above, but nothing is in my iMac 1Password folder. Nothing came over in the sync.

On the iMac, when I check 1Password, Preferences, Sync, Folder Sync, it asks me to "choose folder . . ." The file that is at ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data is from Nov 27. Should I choose this one? I don't think I should as this is my old 1Password data on my iMac (not my current iPhone 1Password data).

The sync apparently did not automatically pull up my database from my iPhone.

Thanks for your help,

RB

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickyBobby,

I'm so sorry that things aren't going smoothly for you. I'd like to take a bit of a closer look at your system to see just where things are getting mixed up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I just submitted the troubleshooting report to support+forum. Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks again for your help,

RB

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickyBobby,

Thanks so much for your patience as we sort this out. We'll follow up directly via email so that things don't get muddled up between here and there. :)

This discussion has been closed.