1Password is not able to search the first line of secure note items and note fields

TnIan
TnIan
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

From the "known issues" post: "1Password does not search beyond the first line of secure note items and the note fields in other items."

It doesn't even search that, as far as I can tell. In v4.0.5, the title is the only thing that gets searched, unless you go into "show search options," which works, but is cumbersome.

Didn't that search bar search everything in v3? I used tags and the notes field extensively for searchable keywords, and now that just doesn't work any longer.

Maybe I'm simply using 1P4 improperly or something, but it's gone from convenient & easy to something that's a chore to use.

Comments

• whisper
    whisper
    Community Member

It did work in V3. I agree search is totally broken. I can't get it to find anything in the notes section. Not useful if you can't search your notes.

• Hi @Tnlan and @whisper,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are looking at ways to improve search in 1Password 4 and greatly value all the feedback we are receiving. There is a fine balance between searching too much and too little (in the past we have had feedback from both sides), and we are working on finding that ideal middle ground - stay tuned. :)

• TnIan
    TnIan
    Community Member

Er... I did not title this thread "Search improvement suggestion."

Can you point me towards some threads complaining that 1P was searching "too much?" I'd like to read the arguments for that. Maybe it'll change my perspective.

• Hi @Tnlan,

This is a bug in 1Password 4, it is supposed to search through your notes but right now, it can only see in the first line. As far as I can tell it does work like that as shown in this screenshot:

• msiler57
    msiler57
    Community Member

Interesting! Find a balance between searching too much and too little….. Really!! 1P4 search is broken and less than helpful. I’m force to go back to 1P3.

Like others, I use tagging to find items. That’s kind of the point of tagging isn’t it???? It needs to be a searchable item. Using the search “options” or trying to hunt through the tags in the sidebar is much too cumbersome.

Searching notes is also absolutely essential.

Searching in 1P3 was just fine. I really wish I had known the limitations installed into 1P4s search capabilities.

• TnIan
    TnIan
    Community Member

I didn't title this thread "1Password is not able to search the first line of secure note items and note fields," either.

Here's how it's working (or not working) for me. Figure 1:

Figure 2:

And I'd still like to read a customer complaint that 1P3 was searching "too much."

I'll give Agilebits' staff one thing: They do engage with their customer base quickly on this discussion board. Props for that, at least.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2013

I strongly agree here. Search really needs to Search everything. The balance should not be on what is searched, but rather on how relevant results are sorted and presented. But everything needs to be searchable. Otherwise 1P4 is a tool that forces users to work for the tool, rather than the tool working for its users.

• MikeT
    edited November 2013

Hi guys,

There are a lot of improvements we do need to make to the search system in 1Password 4, it definitely is difficult to find what you want with the current bugs we have. We're prioritizing the sync/sandboxing issues at the moment and as soon as we can get those cleared out, we're going to start focusing on the rest.

It's not a balance issue here, just that the bugs are getting in the way it is supposed to work.

For @tnlan, in your case, the initial search doesn't cover the notes. You have to use the advanced options to search via Notes. Here's an example using your search term:

It'll get improved, we just need more time in a day.

• TnIan
    TnIan
    Community Member

I certainly understand about not having enough hours in a day to do everything.

In the meantime, I migrated my 1P data over to Dashlane this morning, and I'll use both in parallel for a while. I'm not looking forward to migrating to another platform after four years of using 1P, but I need to have something that just basically works.

• Martin59
    Martin59
    Community Member

sometimes I do not remember if I entered a string/word in the title or e.g. in the note field.
    for that reason I strongly recommend to include the whole note field in the search process to be able to find it

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional feedback, guys. This searching will be improved, as @MIkeT has mentioned.

• TnIan
    TnIan
    Community Member

Hallelujah. You can search tags, etc. again. Thanks. That was driving me bonkers.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear you're more satisfied with searching now, @TnIan. :)

This discussion has been closed.