Does size of database affect items showing up in browser extensions?

Options
cyberskier
cyberskier
Community Member
edited December 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm hoping to switch from a competing product, and have 1Password (trial) working fine on Mac and iOS, but I've been pulling my hair out the last two days trying to get things working on my Windows PC (I've gone through all the help items dealing with the 1Password Helper, among other troubleshooting). Items don't show up in the browser extension, or sometimes are "invisible," meaning that the extension dropdown is blank, but when I mouse over the lines, I can click and get the login info on a site to autofill.

Before closing down last night, I noticed that, much to my joy, the login items and auto fill seemed to be working. This morning, though, I opened the app and browser on my PC, and I was back to square one. My login didn't propagate from the app to the browser extension, and my login items weren't appearing.

After my browser was open a good while (not sure, maybe 30 minutes to an hour), login items appeared in the extension again. That got me wondering if there is some sort of synchronization going on between the browser extension and database that takes time. I have over 2000 items that I imported into my database. This all works fine on my Mac. I did relocate my database in Dropbox, but I waited until Dropbox was done syncing to start the app or the browser (and thereafter had the delay when using the browser).

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much for that information, @cyberskier. We're seeing hints that sync time may be involved, though we haven't figured out why it takes so much longer in Windows than on the Mac.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Are you seeing this in Firefox? If yes, then you might be looking at this blank-1Password-window bug that we're trying to reproduce (and fix)

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member
    Options

It was in Chrome, actually. It looked very similar, although there were lines between where each hidden entry was located.

Is this slow sync a one-time thing upon setting up the browser extensions for the first time, or will I encounter this every time I start the browser?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sad to say, the people who have encountered this tend to see it more often than once...or even once in a while.

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply. Does it seem to have anything to do with the size of the vault? It would be work, but I could clean a bunch of stuff out of my vault and move it to another vault if that would speed things up

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm only assuming that, if sync in general is slow, then sync of more data would be slower. Again, that's an assumption.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is this slow sync a one-time thing upon setting up the browser extensions for the first time, or will I encounter this every time I start the browser?

1st time sync is known to be slower indeed. Consequent sync should be a lot faster.

• cyberskier
    cyberskier
    Community Member
    Options

I'm back in the office today, and so far it seems to be working OK. On a side note, I had opened a support ticket on Friday (still open). I just sent an update via email, letting them know that I think this is the cause of problems I was having, and pointing to this thread. Is that the best way to give an update?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great, @cyberskier—thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.