Backing up question for Mac

stanwelks
stanwelks
Community Member
edited November 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I can not remember if I purchased 1Password from the website or the app store, it is 3.8.21 (build 32009)

I want to backup everything to a separate drive so I select File > Backup Data file and it opens a Backups folder with 50 files in it all averaging about 9-10 MB called 1Password 2013-11-13 141545 (217 items).agilekeychain_zip

1. Do I just copy the most recent file to the external drive, or should I copy all of these files?
  2. Are there any other files I should make sure I get?

Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stanwelks,

1Password version 3.8 would have been purchased from the AgileBits website, just for your information. :)

The files you mention are 1Password's automatic backups. You can certainly copy these to an external drive for an extra layer of security, although we do recommend leaving them in the original location as well (in case anything goes wrong with your system, it will be much easier for our support team to help you restore if your backups are stored in their standard location.)

You can also backup your 1Password.agilekeychain file directly. If you have no sync solutions set up, the default location for this file is: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. Again, please be sure to copy this file and not move it. :)

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

(PS: since we're talking about 1Password 3, I've moved this discussion to our legacy forums.)

• catkelly
    catkelly
    Community Member

I am trying to back up my 1Password data on my old laptop so that I can put the back up on Dropbox and import into 1Password on a new laptop. Both Mac laptops. Can you please tell me the best way to do this?
    Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @catkelly,

I'm sorry for misunderstanding your situation there. It's not so much that we need to back up your data, but simply store your keychain in Dropbox so that it can be accessed by your new computer. Luckily, this is an easy thing to do. We've got a support article here that will guide you through the process.

Please let me know if you run into any snags :)

This discussion has been closed.