Failed to copy 1PasswordAgent

Hi,

I'm getting the following error message in my screencasting account when I try to launch 1Password:

Failed to copy 1PasswordAgent

Please make sure the
/Users/mosx/Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent
folder is writable. Please create the folder if it does not exist. It is also recommended to use Disk Utility to verify and repair disk permissions.

I created the folder manually (which is in my Dropbox), but 1Password still couldn't copy the Agent there.

I tried several things. A look into Console gave me something that said 1Password can't find the Agent in /Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent (like the complaint from 1Password itself) so I went ahead and copied the 1PasswordAgent.app manually there. Then I waited for Dropbox to finish syncing and tried again. Same error message.

Then I realized maybe the LaunchAgent isn't installed. And yes, there was no ws.agile.*.plist in my LaunchAgents folder. So I copied the plist from another user on my machine (my main user) and changed the line to the Agent. Restarted my machine. The Agent still doesn't launch and 1Password still complains about the Agent.

What's wrong here? I have no problems with it on my other users' account.
BTW I'm using the beta releases.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

Comments

• Zettt
    Zettt
    Community Member
    edited August 2010
    The console now says:

com.apple.launchd.peruser.504[189] (ws.agile.1PasswordAgent[436]) Exited with exit code: 1
    com.apple.launchd.peruser.504[189] (ws.agile.1PasswordAgent) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
    com.apple.launchd.peruser.504[189] (ws.agile.1PasswordAgent[437]) posix_spawn("/Users/mosx/Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent/1PasswordAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordAgent", ...): Not a directory
  • Zettt wrote:

The console now says:

Hi Andreas,

Can you reset your folder permissions by doing the following:
    1. Quit All browsers
    2. Open 1Password
    3. Click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset Folder Permissions
    4. For good measure, restart your Mac.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • Zettt
    Zettt
    Community Member
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately resetting folder permissions didn't solve the issue.
  • Zettt wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately resetting folder permissions didn't solve the issue.

It sounds like your 1Password installation may be damaged, which is keeping it from starting. This is likely also affecting browser integration. To resolve this:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads
    Click on the "Download Now" button to the right of "1Password 3"
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.
  • Zettt
    Zettt
    Community Member
    I think I already did this in my first try. I try again and let you know. Thanks.
  • Zettt wrote:

I created the folder manually (which is in my Dropbox), but 1Password still couldn't copy the Agent there.

I am surprised it is in Dropbox. Are you keeping the whole home folder in Dropbox?

There might be issues related to that. As far as I know, Dropbox does not sync the file permissions between Mac. For example, you won't be able to sync executables as they will lose the "execute" permission on the file during sync.
  • Zettt
    Zettt
    Community Member
    edited August 2010
    It shouldn't be there? But 1Password moved it there! When it was asking me whether I want to sync using Dropbox I allowed it.
    Maybe I did that during the 3 beta...

So all I do is basically move the data file back to my home folder in the main account?!
  • Zettt
    Zettt
    Community Member
    D'oh stupid me. That's it! I had a symlink pointing from my other account's home folder to the Dropbox. I deleted the link and simply started 1Password.
    1Password created its folders and everything's fine now.

Thank you guys!
This discussion has been closed.