Really basic questions from newbie - help!

luckyday
luckyday
Community Member
edited August 2010 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hello,

My questions are so basic, they aren't addressed in the documentation.

1. What is required to retrieve information stored in your vault under the "wallets" and other sections not related to online logins? I filled in something under "Identities" and as I was exiting, a message popped up about "low security - 4 digit code." But I wasn't asked to supply a code.

2. Is the stuff in folders as secure as the stuff in "Vault?"

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Comments

• NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    luckyday wrote:

Hello,

1. What is required to retrieve information stored in your vault under the "wallets" and other sections not related to online logins? I filled in something under "Identities" and as I was exiting, a message popped up about "low security - 4 digit code." But I wasn't asked to supply a code.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

I think 1P is referring to the strength of your 1P password (I've never got the message). The 1P password should be fairly long, best if it's got some numbers and punctuation.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited August 2010
    luckyday wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for helping a newbie. whatever

Welcome to the 1password forums,

What NovaScotian says is very good advice choose a distinct password long in length and with punctation / special characters of some sort. But ultimately its your choice, as always.

To retrieve the info you can either open the app and directly copy it out or you can click the browser button scroll down to identities and click whatever name its saved under where the info will be filled in on online forms etc.

The wallet is similar in nature but use the browser button move down to credit cards for example then click the name of the item you wish to fill in on web forms etc.

The 4 digit code is used on the iPhone app, where you can specify a 4 digit code and access the info without having to enter the complete master password. This is useful for when the info is well.... low security and not of super secret nature. This is a personal choice of the user. Any info can be set to low or high. high being that the master password is required to view the info on the iPhone.

Stuff in the vaults is protected just the same as the vaults. Look at it this was the "keychain" is a container and the vaults are folders in that container, then those folders you may have created are sub folders of the vaults.
This discussion has been closed.