Problem migrating 1PW3 Safari Extension Data after installing 1Password 4

Options
dblake
dblake
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

The instructions for migrating data out of the 1Password3 Browser Extensions (specifically Safari and Chrome) so that I can remove the old extensions and begin using the new ones for 1Password 4 need some attention:

This is an excerpt of instructions given from this thread: discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/13732/need-help-with-browser-extensions#latest

So, confirm that your data in 1Password 3 extensions are in the main 1Password 3 app. Once you do that, you then have to remove all of your 1Password extensions. It will not work with 1Password 4, 1Password 4 requires you to install the specific 1Password 4 extensions.

EDIT: Here's another thread detailing the exact same issue (sorry, I didn't find it until after posting this here). Unfortunately, no solution is offered in that one either.

Here's what's wrong:

I updated from 1pw3 to 1pw4; I got this message/procedure afterwards. I understand why you want me to do this, but I don't see how I can do this. Why? Because I can't open 1pw3 on my computer anymore - it's gone. I can't re-download 1pw3 from the App Store and I tried the legacy 3.8.whatever on the website, but when I try to open that, 1pw4 just opens instead.

And now, because I'm fearful of losing any passwords that might be stuck in these outdated browser extensions, I can't remove them. And because I can't remove them, I can't switch to the 1pw4 browser extensions, making it ever more likely that I'll add logins to these old data stores that won't be synced back to my main 1pw data store. Basically a no win. Unbelievably frustrating.

Help!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dblake,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties getting the 1Password 3 extensions uninstalled! To uninstall the 1Password 3 extensions safely after you have already deleted 1Password 3 (or if you upgraded via the Mac App Store), you will need to download a legacy version of 1Password 3 to ensure that your there is no unsynced data in your 1Password 3 extensions.

Please go to http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html and download 1Password 3.

Before launching the program unzip the file and rename it "1Password3.app" and then drag to Applications folder.

Now you should be able to open 1Password3 and follow the rest of the instructions in our article here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/v3-extensions.html

I hope this helps, but if you run into any snags, we're here to help!

• dblake
    dblake
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply. Following these instructions I was able to sync all of my data and update to the new extensions.

• Hi @dblake,

That's great to hear! On behalf of Megan, you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.