Feature Request: Custom Categories

Options
mvasilakis
mvasilakis
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Mac

I'd really love to see the devs add custom categories in a future release. There are some things that I keep notes on that I encrypt that I really can't shoehorn into one of the categories in 1Password. Sure I could create a note but that would be huge and span several pages. I could create several notes but that would clutter the notes category. If, however, I were able to create a new category, add field names & field types & attach documents it would allow me to keep 1Password lean & organized.

I love the software. I only wish that I could use it for all my password needs and nix Apple's Keychain completely but that's not something I expect the developer can remedy. (That would be Apple stepping up and making keychain abit less of a royal PITA.)

edit: I see this has been discussed before. My apologizes for not searching fist. I cut out coffee so I'm not running on all 8 cylinders. FWIW though please consider my request.

Comments

• AngriBuddhist
    AngriBuddhist
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

I too would like to have custom categories in 1password.

Under it all, 1password is a database even though it's focus (and it's reason for success) has been on using more secure passwords as conveniently as possible.

This narrow focus, and AgileBits wonderful UI design, has kept 1password on the lips of anyone I've ever heard talk about password managers. The problem is that I've only ever heard, or read, about 1password in podcasts or in articles targeted at people who are already the type to be aware of such things. The audience for such a narrowly focused product is limited and can really only have shrank since the introduction of iCloud Keychain. I've desperately tried to get friends and family to use 1password and not a single one has bitten. Even though I've successfully converted them all to ios and am the one person they contact for tech support, I can't get any of them interested in their own online security.

I'm hoping that, if AgileBits adds custom categories, I can promote it as a way to solve multiple problems and use that as a Trojan horse to get them to use the password features that everyone should already be using. On top of that, depending on how custom categories are implemented, this may be a way for 1password to maintain its focus on password management while also entering into the wider Database product category.

I've been searching for an iOS app to start building a Home database focusing on Inventory and it's location (Room Name>Area Name>Box Name) as well as General information (the gardener's name, how to program the Nest thermostat, the process for changing the water filter, etc.). The search isn't going well.

My requirements are -

• UI that doesn't suck and put off my wife from using it
    • Dropbox sync NOT Dropbox backup
    • Customization

So far, all the ios database apps that I've looked at have Customization. A couple of their developers say they're starting the long process of adding Dropbox sync. And their UIs all suck.

1password already has a great UI, Dropbox sync and is, under it all, a database. I'm hoping that AgileBits embraces that and adds custom categories, pleasing it's users and expanding into a new product category at the same time.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Being able to add custom categories is a very frequently requested feature. The developers have said they are considering doing so, but they haven't indicated what the decision is, nor is a release schedule known.

• AngriBuddhist
    AngriBuddhist
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth

I see.

I'm extremely new here, having come for the sole purpose of finding out if custom categories were a possibility.

I'm glad you commented. Having searched through the forums, I was under the impression that AgileBits had moved past "considering custom categories" and I was going to soon be adding miscellaneous info into 1password, using Secure Notes as a placeholder as it would be easier to later move from one area of the app to another area than it would be to move that info from one app to another.

It also seems as if Custom Categories has been under consideration for a couple years now. Looks like Tapforms database will be starting and finishing the addition of Dropbox sync before I can rely on a decision about Custom Categories in 1password. Oh well.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

@AngriBuddhist - Well, I'm not in a position to speak about this with any authority, so you may want to seek a reading from an AgileBits employee. I'm reasonably sure, though, that you will be able to find a relatively recent reaction if you search the forum. I have commented previously about being catious about how you use the freedom to help protect against heartburn if you should ever want to migrate to a different application. If you're interested, my most extensive discussion is here.

• AngriBuddhist
    AngriBuddhist
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. In my previous search, I had read that post a couple of times as you (and others) have linked to it from across the forums. I'm very anal-retentive about structures and processes and your story made me nod my head in agreement. Chaos is problematic. As to discussing it with an AgileBits employee, I'm sure that I don't have anything to say to them that would be any more persuasive than what has already been said.

From what I can gather and assume -

There are many requests for custom categories as well as individual new categories to suit different particular needs.

If AgileBits starts adding new and often requested categories such as Inventory, Cars, Places, Customers, etc., then the focus and marketing of 1Password starts to get muddled. The product then becomes a database app with some nifty password features, which, with time, can be replicated by other database makers. Although extremely non-trivial, all the competition needs is to implement a web browser.

On the other hand, adding Custom Categories allows all the benefits of moving 1Password into the more general database product market, while maintaining it's focus on being a password manager. The downside, however, is less clear. How much work is involved in just figuring out the best implementation? Is it just empty fields? Do you add entry "pickers"? Is there a reason that all the iOS database apps with custom categories don't have Dropbox sync yet? Is there an inherent issue with truly custom categories and sync?

And finally, is there an actual reason that AgileBits should actually decide to do this? Will they lose customers or potential customers if they don't? For now, I'd have to say no, not until a database developer adds a web browser to their product and starts using it for password entry. Or will they retain or gain customers? It's hard to say. How many people looking for a database app would choose 1Password over a competing product? Would AgileBits be willing to adjust their marketing to include the "other stuff" in an attempt to attract customers from the wider database consumer base?

In the long run, do the costs and benefits, in both the financial terms as well as the potential shift in marketing focus, make sense to AgileBits? Only they can say.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mvasilakis and @AngriBuddhist,

Thanks so much for your detailed feedback here! I regret that there's not much I can say here that hasn't been said before (or already discussed in this thread). Personally, I think Custom Categories could be a great idea. I like keeping things organized, and a customizable category would allow me to organize all of the things in my own neurotic way.

I've added your votes to the feature request, and I'll be sure to pass along your feedback. When we have any updates on this, we'll be sure to let you know!

• mvasilakis
    mvasilakis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan. " I like keeping things organized, and a customizable category would allow me to organize all of the things in my own neurotic way."
    Yea, well, that statement about sums me up.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @mvasilakis, on behalf of @Megan and her "own neurotic way" . :)

• bartkuiper
    bartkuiper
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Custom categories should be a standard feature - there is just no way that a user can categorise all of the secret info they are likely to want to store in an single, secure space into the existing categories. I have just bought 1Password as I like the idea of having all my data secure in one space, coupled with the functionality to allow me to auto-log in to web sites both from the app and via browser extensions. I have been using eWallet for some time and was in the process of migrating to SplashId when I saw the 1Password product and it grabbed my attention. But discovering that custom categories are not available is a disappointment. If you look at the other 2 products I have mentioned, customisation of categories and items is a core, standard feature and one which makes these tools extremely flexible and useful. Hopefully this feature will be added soon, I don't think it will muddy the waters of what the product is trying to deliver in any way, in fact it will significantly enhance the product.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass it along to the developers!

This discussion has been closed.