Feature Requests: add new category for Serial Numbers; add the ability to drag and drop items

Options
toddnach
toddnach
Community Member

Two feature requests:

1. I'd like to see a new category added to 1P4 for both OSX and iOS that allows users to store Serial Numbers for hardware items. This would be different that software licenses which already have a category. I'm currently saving these in the Secure Notes section, but it would be great to have a new category to store these.

2. An easy way to change an item from one category to another. In upgrading to 1P4, some of my items have appeared in incorrect categories and there seems to be no way to change these. Wouldn't it be easy to allow users to simply drag and drop an item into its correct category (on the left-hand sidebar)? It's frustrating that there seems to be no easy way to accomplish this simple task, or am i missing something?

many thanks, excellent product, and keep up the great work!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Moving an item from one category to another is, sadly, not a simple question of drag and drop—because items in one category may have completely different fields to items in another category. Nevertheless, this is a frequently requested, and often discussed, feature. See this thread, for example.

Stephen

• toddnach
    toddnach
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply Stephen. How about allowing such changes, and then adding a pop-up window or dialogue box, or some such similar feature, that would alert users to the fact that specific fields may have changed, and that the user should view, and perhaps change or move, entries into their appropriate fields. I would find this much easier than, say, having to create a new entry and manually copying text from each field in the incorrectly categorised item to the right fields in the new correctly-categorised item. Would that work?

Also, how about adding a feature that allows end users to create new categories and add fields as they deem necessary?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Also, how about adding a feature that allows end users to create new categories and add fields as they deem necessary?

I know that custom fields and categories are on the radar at AgileBits, but I'm guessing it isn't coming quickly. I expect it isn't simple to implement. Lots of people have asked for it, though.

Be careful what you wish for, though. I recently moved to 1Password from a competitor that does allow creation of custom categories and fields. I had taken liberal advantage of that over the years, and not all records within a category even had the same fields when I was done. That created a nightmare when I wanted to come over to 1Password. It became impossible to just import my data, despite the provision by 1Password of an importer for that specific application. I abandoned 1Password after trying that some time ago, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that no import protocol could be designed that could anticipate my whims and internal inconsistencies. I ended up having to reenter all my data by hand. I regard that as time well spent, but I had the time to spend when I did this. I didn't the first time I tried it.

None of that is intended to suggest that custom categories and fields wouldn't be a welcome addition. I'd like them myself, but I learned a lesson about being careful how to use them from my unpleasant experience, so I would be very cautious in the future. I want to make it as easy as possible if I ever decide to migrate again. In particular, I would not create a bunch of custom fields that varied among records in a single category. Doing that would guarantee a mess, even if I export the data as a CSV file.

That's just my perspective. In my view, customization is often great, but not if it's used to create a morass.

• toddnach
    toddnach
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for your thoughtful reply!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Hawkmoth, thanks for that very helpful, and detailed, comment: most useful.

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.