• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options
  • Doctordun
    Doctordun
    Community Member
    Options

I have been successful doing just a few records at a time and just saving to a vid file. No extra work involved. When I hit a record that doesn't work, I just do it manually. Too much trouble trying to figure this out.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Doctordun,

It's easy to check if the workaround I've suggested could be possible in your case and apply it if it is …

If the first line of your .vid file looks like this:

SplashID vID File -v4.0

… just change the '4' to a 3' so it looks like this:

SplashID vID File -v3.0

Then save with UTF-8 format and try importing again.

Surely that can be a time-saver if it works for you. :)

• Doctordun
    Doctordun
    Community Member
    Options

My .vid file does show the 3. The .vid files that won't import, typically have custom fields and notes. If they are just straight forward records that just have the url, login and password, those import fine.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry that wouldn't help you, @Doctordun. Thanks for letting me know.

The offer for you to send a sample .vid export file for me to inspect is always open. :)

• tbader
    tbader
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

good news and bad news... :-) Finally, I managed to import my data into 1Password. The trick was, unlike you might hope, the -v4.0 entry. While the sample I made and sent to you had -v4.0 on the top, my regular database has a -v3.0 when I export it.

However, I found out that it plays a role when converting the file to UTF-8 that you directly add the .vid suffix (which TextEdit wants to remove). I always added it in finder afterwards, and import didn't succeed. This sounds so strange to me, that I would rather think it's a random success. But I'm no programmer, so maybe you know what this could mean.

The bad part of the story is, that the import works somehow, but it's a mess. Almost all Splash ID data records are imported as "Safe Notes", the data fields are printed into the notes section.
    Some records have made it into "Logins", but same here, moste of the data fields are printed into the notes field.

Me too think that the problem is the long history of my Splash ID database. I started using it on Symbian in conjunction with Windows, then moved to Mac, later to iPhone. I have lots of custom fields, types and categories.

Probably Splash ID keeps and old database structure under the hood for old men like me. That's why it exports -v3.0 with the my database, the new test database was done in -v4.0. No time to do further tests today, but maybe it could be interesting to try importing a vID 3 export from Splash ID? Maybe it's a possible solution that if 1p4 could import vID3, then it would also be able to import my files?

Just out of curiosity, did import work with 1p3? I'm completely new to 1p, so if I could make it using 1p3, I would do that!

Thanks!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

While I don't write code, it seems to me like it would be impossible for anyone to write an import algorithm that could anticipate a bunch of user created modifications and departures from the defaults of whatever the original database was. I would assume that this would apply to any application, not just 1Password. Dumping uncoventional records into Secure Notes is likely the best they can do.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @tbader.

I'm glad you were finally able to successfully import your SplashID data into 1Password 4 even though the results aren't what you might have hoped for.

Summarizing what you've already noticed and mostly mentioned:

All Web Login and Serial Number types from SID should be Login and Software License items in 1P4. Most of the remaining SID item types will be Secure Note items in 1P4. There's minimal mapping of SID fields/values into non-Secure Note item fields/values in 1P4. And fields/values from all SID item types are in the notes field of every 1P4 item.

@hawkmoth's explanation basically explains why it's done that way, being essentially the same as importing with 1P3 (used to do my +900 SID item import) which doesn't support custom fields like 1P4. As a fairly small company with limited resources there are other priorities at the moment than reworking the SID importer to take advantage of 1P4's custom fields. And SplashData doesn't publish its SplashID vID data formats, not making the task of writing the current importer any easier.

I feel everyone's pain with this; I'm still a customer. :)

Yet even with plenty of overdue post-import cleanup still remaining I'm satisfied to be free of relying on SplashID.

• tbader
    tbader
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

thanks for your comment. So it seems this is the expected result… that's a pity, as I won't be able to use the software, at least not in the next time, until I find some time to convert everything manually.

It would be more than fair if Agile Bits could state this more clear on their website. For me, this was the top #1 feature that convinced me to buy the software. See here: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/import_passwords.html

This totally lead me on the wrong trail. Although it is the manual for 1p3, I did not expect that this has been shrunk down so much. Even CSV is not working the way described in the link.

Yes, I could have downloaded the trail version first, but I didn't knew anything about a trial (App Store doesn't mention it), and it looked so good to me that I was 100% sure to buy the right thing…

Don't get me wrong here, I think it will be worth the effort, and your support was really excellent, it's just a lot of work now which I would have liked to know before I buy…

Thanks!

• daveg3
    daveg3
    Community Member
    Options

Based on what I am reading regarding issues with importing I will not be migrating from SplashID at this time until 1Password can make the process simpler. I am interested in making the move and from reading this and a number of similar posts I am not alone in this. I realize that highly customized records may be problematic but the import functionality needs to improve from what is described here if you want to win over more SplashID users.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @daveg3.

I'm sorry if reported issues with SplashID importing make the process sound tougher than it usually is. Are there specific issues you're concerned with?

I suggest downloading 1Password 4 and importing your exported SplashID data to see how it works for you. Give the beta a try. This change, also applicable to SplashID importing, was made in 4.1.2.BETA-4:

• CSV Imports now populate custom fields.

Instead of extra fields being in notes fields they're now in custom fields under the Other Fields section, e.g.:

The SplashID entry that originated from was exported and directly imported into 1P4 without any special attention. :)

• doct
    doct
    Community Member
    Options

Just purchased 1P4 and ran into the same problem that goes back to at least November of importing SplashID vID file. Still using 6.2 of SplashID as too scared to screw everything up with going to 7, even after it is supposedly fixed. Export from SplashID is either v4.0 or v2.0, no option for a v3.0. So, any info on importing SplashID files other than changing the 3 to a 4 (didn't work)? Not excited about manually entering hundreds of entries. Disappointed that this app, being so greatly touted, is not importing after all this time.

• doct
    doct
    Community Member
    Options

SplashID 6.2/7 import issue. Addendum to first post. Someone else with same problem noted that import worked if de-select the attachments options. This does create a v3.0 document, but I still couldn't get it to import. Really would appreciate some input. Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi, @doct.

When exporting from SplashID Safe 6.2 use File > Export > SplashID vID. Then you might need to change the character encoding to Unicode (UTF-8), e.g. using TextEdit as described earlier in post #11. In my case that's all that's necessary for a +900 item export/import with SIDS 6.2 and 1P 4.1.2/4.1.3 on 10.9.1. And when exporting certain subsets of items the character encoding conversion step can be skipped.

Please give that a try and let me know how it goes. If you do have any issues I'm here to help resolve them. :)

Edit: Thanks for mentioning deselecting attachments. My SIDS data doesn't have any; I'll have to add some for future testing purposes.

• doct
    doct
    Community Member
    Options

That allowed the import, but, unfortunately most went into the 'secure notes' category. As, as I understand it, one can't change an entry's category, looks like a hour or two of manually entering anyway.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi, @doct.

I do understand the frustration with exported SplashID items being imported as Secure Notes, still having many of them in one of my 1P4 secondary vaults.

As a possible alternative:

If a lot of SplashID items do get imported as Secure Notes a workaround is changing them to Web Login types in SplashID before exporting so they'll be imported as Login items with custom fields in 1P4. There'd be some pre-export or post-import field label renaming, too.

Not optimal, but something to consider in certain cases.

This discussion has been closed.