Importing Acrylic Wallet data into 1Password

Options
senacajack
senacajack
Community Member

I just purchased 1Password 4.2.2 (422001) for Mac, family style, last week. I am trying to import 300 or so passwords from Acrylic Software's Wallet. I have tried to do that as a .csv file with no success. I do not want to be forced to manually enter all of that information just to be able to use this product. Please tell me how I can accomplish this goal by importing the necessary data into 1Password. I have tried to read the posts here and it is doing nothing but confusing me as to a workable process.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @senacajack,

I'm sorry that 1Password 4 isn't cooperating with importing your CSV file.

Here's a summary of guidelines for creating CSV data to import with 1Password 4:

1. Use CR+LF newline (line break) characters.
    2. Use UTF-8 file encoding.
    3. Correctly order input columns (fields).
    4. Correctly quote field data.

Here are additional details about each of those:

1. The CSV file should have CR+LF newline (line break) characters. If necessary, they can be converted to "DOS-style" CR+LF newlines using the LineBreak GUI utility:

2. The CSV file should have UTF-8 character encoding. If necessary, this can be done using TextEdit:

• Open the .csv file with TextEdit and select File > Save As… (Option-Shift-Command-S keyboard shortcut)
      • In the save dialog window:

• If necessary, change Plain Text Encoding to Unicode (UTF-8)
        • Use a new name like import-utf8.csv as the Save As filename
      • Confirm Use .csv when saving the new file

3. The CSV input column (field) order for supported items is documented in the import guide. For Login items, it's:

"title","location","username","password","notes"

4.2 extends that to be:

"title","location","username","password","notes","custom1","custom2","customN",…

All labels for extra imported fields (beyond the built-in labels/fields) are fixed Field # names, appearing as custom fields under the Other Fields section of the item, e.g.:

The CSV importer currently doesn't support including custom labels for those custom fields.

When we update the guide it might be clearer using field label names that match those in the actual item, e.g.:

"title","website","username","password","notes","field 1","field 2","field n",…

4. Special characters may need to be quoted, commonly in password fields. Surrounding fields with double quote (") characters can help, as mentioned in the import guide:

Generally, it’s best to have each field surrounded with double quotes ". This is required if your fields have , or " characters inside them or if a field is more than one line.

With 1Password 4.2, if a field contains double-quote characters use a second double-quote to quote it, e.g.:

…,"password","this is my quoted "" character in the notes field"

A "divide and conquer" strategy can isolate problems with your input file. For example, first try importing just the first few lines of the file. If that fails it may be a general issue. If it succeeds, then try importing half of the input file. If failure, then half of that. Etc.

Finally, if you're able to create a redacted sample input file that fails to import we can take a look and help you find a solution to get it working.

I hope that information is useful for successfully importing your data. Please let us know how it goes and if you need any more help. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: New User - Trial Download - Import Issues..
  • senacajack
    senacajack
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, sjk. I'll give this a try.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @senacajack.

Looking forward to hearing from you again after you've given it a try, hopefully with success!

• onecantra
    onecantra
    Community Member
    Options

I too am having this problem, and the instructions are not working for me.

• onecantra
    onecantra
    Community Member
    Options

An additional point of information. 1password will not import a test .csv file of even one line conforming to all the criteria listed above. I suspect there is a bug in the import feature related to csv.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @onecantra,

Which version of 1Password are you running? Are you able to upload a redacted sample of a file that fails to import and send me a private message with a download link? I'm sure we can find a way to get it working for you. Thanks!

• onecantra
    onecantra
    Community Member
    Options

4.3 on the Mac (downloaded from the App Store on 22 April 2014), and 4.5 for iOS (downloaded the same).

• onecantra
    onecantra
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for being willing to look at a document. But there is no means to attach a document in your private message. Not sure it would matter since 1Password cannot import a test document with fields copied directly from your instructions above.

• onecantra
    onecantra
    Community Member
    Options

I tried another workaround but to no avail. I made a test.txt document in Word using this string from this webpage -- "title","location","username","password","notes". Saved as a text file, selected utf-8, selected cr+lf, saved as test.txt, renamed to test.csv. Unfortunately it will not import.

• 1pwd1usr
    1pwd1usr
    Community Member
    Options

I tried everything posted in parallel threads (109577, 114976) and can't successfully import any CSV file, no matter what number of records, encoding, or line ending. Too many mixed messages on here. Loads of users are moving to 1PWD from other software so it would be helpful to update the import/export knowledgebase page with precise, step by step instructions with lots of examples (maybe we're all missing something?). Meanwhile I'll keep using the other (non-lastpass) PW app and watch out for updates... what a bummer! :\ [v4.3 on Mavericks 10.9.2]

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @onecantra and @1pwd1usr,

It turns out there's a bug in 1Password 4.3 that affects CSV importing. The fix didn't make it into the update release, as we'd hoped, but is already in the 4.3.1 beta and will be in the next updates for both the Agile Web Store (AWS) and Mac App Store (MAS) versions. We're really sorry for the inconvenience of this.

If you'd prefer giving the beta a try instead of waiting for the update here's how to do it …

Switching from the Agile Web Store version of 4.3 to the beta is relatively simple:

• Open the 1Password 4 app.
    • Select 1Password 4 > Preferences… from the main menu.
    • Select the Updates tab and enable the Include Beta Builds option.
    • Press Check Now and it'll prompt you to update the app.

Switching from the Mac App Store version to the beta is tricker because it uses different 1Password database files than the AWS/beta versions. This guide has instructions:

Migrate from MAS to web store version

A few things to note about it:

• If the MAS version is installed the AWS/beta version will copy the purchase receipt to use as the license. You won't need a separate license.

• You'd select the Download Beta link on the Download AgileBits Software page for directly downloading the beta version. It's recommended to enable the Include Beta Builds option (mentioned in previous steps) to keep up-to-date. It can be disabled if switching back to a non-beta in the future.

• If you're using multiple vaults with the AWS version then you should move your data instead of letting Dropbox find and use your data for only a single vault.

If you need any help switching from either version of 4.3 to the beta, and further help with importing your data after that, please let me know.

Again, we do apologize for the trouble this importing bug is causing.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @onecantra,

Related to your importing issues you wrote, elsewhere:

The mac version cannot properly import csv files, so I have to manually enter all my information from Wallet. And what kind of programming is incapable of simultaneously distinguishing between dos, mac, and unix character returns. I should not have to micromanage a .csv database in the 21st century.

I'm sorry you ended up manually entering all your Wallet data.

Actually, data with LF line endings (in addition to CRLF) should import okay. Handling CR is trickier. There's more about this in Jamie's ( @jxpx777 ) post #6.

And our friend @MrC wrote:

CSV isn't useless - it has rules for quoting characters such as comma, double-quote, newline, etc. A good CSV exporter should handle this.

(emphasis added)

CSV exporting/importing can sometimes be like an inverse of garbage in, garbage out. :)

The 1Password CSV importer isn't perfect, but neither are CSV exporters.

• 1pwd1usr
    1pwd1usr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response. Any extra tips you could post on the CSV import/export page would be very much appreciated!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

1Password 4 version 4.3 will not import CSV files - there is a bug. You'll need the beta or later version of 4.3.1.

If after you've updated, and still have troubles, you're welcome to send me an example CSV output file with a few entries from Acrylic Wallet, and I'll see if I can help you. Contact me via Messages here if you need help.

• jcornelius
    jcornelius
    Community Member
    Options

Any clue when 4.3 will be able to import CSV files, or better, the Wallet database format? This is a huge roadblock for me. I just purchased and need to move from Wallet but can't until this is fixed.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @jcornelius,

The next update after 4.3 will be able to import CSV files. The CSV importing bug in 4.3 is already fixed in the beta, which you can use now by following instructions I posted earlier under Switching from the Agile Web Store version of 4.3 to the beta is relatively simple: … in post #13.

After CSV exporting data from Wallet, the import guide describes how to format the CSV data so it will be properly imported with 1Password 4. We're here to help with that if you need it, which may include @MrC's generous offer. :)

• randomUser
    randomUser
    Community Member
    Options

Whats the expected release date for the fix to import from .csv without having to go to beta? I've got the Mac App Store version and that 'upgrade' is trickier

• jcornelius
    jcornelius
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk, thanks for the reply. Importing from Wallet requires a little extra work since the columns are not in the same order as 1Password expects and any notes columns contain line breaks, which screws up the whole thing. I had to rearrange the columns in Excel, then go through the file line-by-line in a text editor to remove line breaks and a few special characters.

Sure would have been nice if 1Password 4 would have fired up the Import Assistant from version 3.

Anyway, problem solved now. Thanks again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys.

@randomUser‌,

At the moment we don't have any information to announce about availability of the next update (likely numbered 4.3.1). If you'd rather not wait for it I'd be happy to help you with switching to the beta.

@jcornelius,

I'm glad to hear you got Wallet data imported with 1Password 4 after manually rearranging columns with Excel, as suggested in the import guide:

If the data you have is not in this order, you can use a spreadsheet program such as Numbers or Excel to open the CSV file and rearrange the columns into the proper order.

Removing line breaks shouldn't be necessary if fields containing them are double quoted, e.g.:

Test Login 1,example.com,User1,Password1,"Notes are fun with multple lines supported by being double-quoted " Test Login 2,example.net,User2,Password2,"I like notes"

Indeed, something like 1Password 3's Import Assistant would be a useful component of the importing process. As the import guide notes:

Note: We’re exploring ways to make this more flexible in the future.

We haven't finished improving 1Password 4 importing. :)

• CarlosGP
    CarlosGP
    Community Member
    Options

This is EXTREMELY disappointing. I just don't have the time to be fiddling with files. I downloaded this app to try based on glowing reviews of what a time saver it is. But, come on, how difficult would it be to make importing more user-friendly? It is not rocket-science.

Not an auspicious beginning... :(

• CarlosGP
    CarlosGP
    Community Member
    Options

PS.- I followed all the instructions above and the CSV import is still not working. I should bill you for the hours I've wasted. Anyhow, this shortcoming has cost you several sales today (I'm a small business owner). Your app is not up to the reviews I've read, at least in this regard. Thumbs down. :(

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You probably have version 4.3. The info above mention 4.3.1 is required, and that is available in beta.

Hang in there... These folks have been working hard on getting the very serious Heartbleed notification code done and ready for everyone to use.

• johnplanetz
    johnplanetz
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I'm a longtime keepass user, and today decided to take the plunge, switching to 1password.
    I am now trying to transfer my data, and like others here, am experiencing problems with the import.
    I updated to the latest beta: Version 4.3.1.BETA-7 (431007)

After a number of rather spectacular failures where my data was imported, but completely jumbled, I tried just making a text file containing the specific example from the help. The file contains two lines, as follows:
    "Space, the final frontier","https://starfleet.org","jkirk","2.6U3\NTCTP"".g9h","These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise."

Yes, it imports, but it's still buggy. The fields are all out of order, as you can see in the attached picture.

So, I tweaked the data as follows:
    "location","username","password","notes","title"
    "https://starfleet.org","jkirk","2.6U3\NTCTP"".g9h","These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.","Space, the final frontier"

With those changes, it successfully imports.
    Now I'm trying to get my keepass data massaged appropriately so I can get it properly imported...

-John

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I just tested your data, as two lines like you say:

"Space, the final frontier","https://starfleet.org","jkirk","2.6U3\NTCTP"".g9h","These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise."

and it imported correctly. I tested with both \r\n and \n as line terminators. Here's with dos-style line terminators:

$ hexdump -C ~/Desktop/test.csv
    00000000  22 74 69 74 6c 65 22 2c  22 6c 6f 63 61 74 69 6f  |"title","locatio|
    00000010  6e 22 2c 22 75 73 65 72  6e 61 6d 65 22 2c 22 70  |n","username","p|
    00000020  61 73 73 77 6f 72 64 22  2c 22 6e 6f 74 65 73 22  |assword","notes"|
    00000030  0d 0a 22 53 70 61 63 65  2c 20 74 68 65 20 66 69  |.."Space, the fi|
    00000040  6e 61 6c 20 66 72 6f 6e  74 69 65 72 22 2c 22 68  |nal frontier","h|
    00000050  74 74 70 73 3a 2f 2f 73  74 61 72 66 6c 65 65 74  |ttps://starfleet|
    00000060  2e 6f 72 67 22 2c 22 6a  6b 69 72 6b 22 2c 22 32  |.org","jkirk","2|
    00000070  2e 36 55 33 5c 4e 54 43  54 50 22 22 2e 67 39 68  |.6U3\NTCTP"".g9h|
    00000080  22 2c 22 54 68 65 73 65  20 61 72 65 20 74 68 65  |","These are the|
    00000090  20 76 6f 79 61 67 65 73  20 6f 66 20 74 68 65 20  | voyages of the |
    000000a0  73 74 61 72 73 68 69 70  20 45 6e 74 65 72 70 72  |starship Enterpr|
    000000b0  69 73 65 2e 22 0d 0a                              |ise."..|
    000000b7

I've written two converters for importing from other wallet formats, and all records imported correctly, so I know it works. I'd suggest you had some issue with your data.

• johnplanetz
    johnplanetz
    Community Member
    Options

My data and hexdump matches yours exactly, but imports with the jumbled data as shown in my picture attachment.

from about:
    1Password 4
    Version 4.3.1.BETA-7 (431007)
    Agile Beta

i'm on mavericks 10.9.2.

Why do I see something different from you?
    -John

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Are you setting the import File Format as CSV, and the Import As type to Login?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Also, did you be sure to quit both 1P4 and mini before launching 1P4 after the update?

• johnplanetz
    johnplanetz
    Community Member
    Options

I had not quit 1p4 and mini after updating to beta, but I just tried that, and the import gave the same result as before.
    Yes, I'm using CSV, type Login.

I have attached the exact csv I'm testing with.
    -John

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I don't seem to be able to get the flie (nor was I able to see your image above full size).

This discussion has been closed.