1P4 Password Generator recipe - not tailorable

Options
rsstorey
rsstorey
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I can't remember is previous version allowed this capability. But I use 1P4 to manage passwords to sites that have very specific password requirements, 15 characters or less, upper case, lower case, number, and special characters, etc. I am finding a major problem when I am required to update/change my password and the Password Generator uses a larger set of special characters that what the site allows. I have to generate a password repeatedly (sometimes try using them and let it fail) hopefully before the site times out, before I can get one that is suitable.

Couldn't you develop this capability to allow the user to enter the special characters that are allowed to be used to generate the password?

Comments

• jamver
    jamver
    Community Member
    Options

+1

I'm finding even the differences between 1P3 and 1P4's password generator a regression in functionality and would greatly appreciate a significant expansion in the password generator's functionality including the ability to save multiple reusable recipe's and the ability to set every element without restriction (including no limits to maximum password length) and the ability to write customisable recipes using a REGEX based syntax.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rsstorey and @jamver,

In both the main app and the Mini, you have the ability to customize the password via the 'password recipe'. You can adjust the number of digits and symbols, create a pronounceable password and avoid ambiguous characters. In the main app you can also edit the password after it has been created to add a special character if the website requires it. (Please note that this is a feature we are looking into making available on the Mini as well!)

We are looking at several ways to improve the password generator in the future (including the potential to save recipes for particular sites) and I'd be happy to pass your feedback along to our developers!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

• thurminator
    thurminator
    Community Member
    Options

Rather than start a new thread, I'd like to +1 this post. It is especially annoying when a website requires password that allows and/or requires some special characters, but not all the special characters that 1Password 4 seems to designate as unambiguous. It would really be nice to be able to have an 'Advanced' password generator feature that specifically let you spell out which special characters to allow for inclusion on a per website basis.

So please add my vote to those looking for more features when it comes to password generation!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thurminator,

Thanks for your suggestion/vote! I've added it to our tracker.

In the latest 4.2 betas it's possible to edit the password in Password Generator, allowing you to insert/delete specific characters that you do/don't want.

• guyd
    guyd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'd also like to add another vote for editable recipes. My requirement is slightly more simple right now and can be handled by manual intervention once the password has been created, but that introduces me back into the password creation process (which 1P is supposed to remove ;-). I'd particularly like to be able to have the characters between the pronounceable sections be numbers or special chars (in which I include '-'). The current exclusive or means that you can have three out of four (numbers, lower case, upper case, special chars) but not all four unless you manually intervene. If I could set up a custom recipe that said "use the length defined by the slider, use [a-z,A-Z,0-9,"all-special"] and use the default pronounceability rules" that would be awesome.

Rgds,

Guy

• HapMacintyre
    HapMacintyre
    Community Member
    Options

I just wanted to add another vote. In particular I'd like to be able to set what symbols can be used in a recipe. Maybe a text field that would allow me to enter the permitted symbols to be used in the recipe? Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @guyd and @HapMacintyre,

Your votes and suggestions for this have also been included with the request in our system. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm reviving a bit of an old topic here but this seemed an appropriate place. I like the idea of being able to tweak the parameters of the generated passwords but I can't help but feel that restricting it to a specific number of symbols and numbers limits the generation space. I often resort to using the built-in password generator in OS X to create passwords of random characters, numbers and symbols (but still of a fixed length).

I'd like to see the option of requesting both a completely random password of a certain length, compromised of a variable number of characters, numbers and symbols and also a minimum and maximum number of numbers and symbols in a password for sites with weird requirements. The minimum is probably more important than the idea of having a maximum for the average requirement a site makes on you.

I realise this ups the complexity somewhat in the interface but something about the idea of having to select an exact number of numbers and symbols in a password seems alien to me if the goal is a strong a password as possible (fewer limitations on the space the better surely?).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion, @littlebobbytables. It's been added it to our request tracker for consideration.

• ccroom
    ccroom
    Community Member
    Options

How about a button in the password generator to regenerate a password as well. Unless there is another method it is required to change the recipe just to regenerate an automatically created password.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan wrote:

In the main app you can also edit the password after it has been created to add a special character if the website requires it. (Please note that this is a feature we are looking into making available on the Mini as well!)

Just another vote for adding this feature to 1Password Mini.

David

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's already on our list, @ccroom, now with your vote.

That's now possible, @DavidB.

Thanks, guys! :)

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk,

With my setup (1Password 4.4 (440002) Agile Web Store, OS X 10.9.2) I can place the insertion mark in the password field or highlight characters, but I can't delete or add anything. What version are you using?

David

• jamver
    jamver
    Community Member
    Options

One of the primary problems with the password generator is the lack of customisability - specifically, the ability to choose which special characters are used - and then the ability to save that recipe for a particular site or as a specific recipe. Hence my suggestion that we have recipes based on REGEX.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This change was added in version 4.2, @DavidB:

• Edit generated passwords in 1Password mini, too

Can you let me know if restarting 1Password mini gets it working for you?

Your regex-based customizable recipe idea is in our tracker, @jamver, with your rekindled interest in it noted. :)

• jamver
    jamver
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk‌ Thanks.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

@sjk,

I restarted my computer but unfortunately the problem is still there. When you say restart 1 Password Mini, do you mean something else?

Edit: Sorry--I didn't read your message carefully enough to notice there was a link to information about restarting 1Password Mini. Unfortunately that doesn't work either though.

David

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @jamver.

I'm sorry a system restart (which also restarted 1Password mini) didn't help, @DavidB. So we can determine what's interfering with password editing there, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

@sjk,

I sent in the report.

Thank you,

David

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We've received the report, @DavidB‌. Thanks for sending it. Someone from our team will follow up with you directly in email to help get this problem resolved.

This discussion has been closed.