Family license upgrade on MAS

Options

I posted this question on the thread for Mac (from Agile Website) but maybe it's better to post it here since it's concerning getting clarity from Agile on whether Family licensees are going to be supported on v3.9+ which is only distributed on MAS (and only supports one kind of license). Someone on the other thread kindly suggested a work-around but I was wondering if Agile had an answer from the company...

To be clear, the current Family license allows multiple and distinct family members (as in separate machines with separate AppleIDs) to use the same license and it costs more than a normal license. The MAS ability to re-download is controlled by a single AppleID and is spoken in terms of all "your" machines, not yours and your family members.

So Agile: Are there going to be any one-time upgrade allowances for allowing us current v3.8.20 Family license holders at $69 to get the same functionality or am I looking at spending $50 (or whatever the upgrade allowance for single users) times the number of family members I have, which would be $150 to move to version 4. I understand moving to MAS creates restrictions on what you can do but just be clear and honest. If Family licensees will not be helped in any way then just say that rather than try to point to a confusing and different functionality of ability to re-download under a single AppleID and then let other AppleID users use that version.

My guess is that the answer is "tough luck" unless you're willing to work around the intent of the MAS license for a single AppleID. Thats what happened when OSX and iLife and iWork went to MAS -family licenses went away and each customer had to re-evaluate whether the whole family needed or could afford to use those products. With that message you undoubtedly will lose some users but I hope your company has the integrity to put the truth out there, rather than not address the confusion hoping you don't lose business. I'm sure I'll personally continue to use 1P but its not worth an additional $100 to have the capabilities for the rest of my household.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited February 2013
    Options

wwong

I think I already answered your question in that post please see my latest reply http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/67958/#Comment_67958

--

Tom Hightower

AgileBits (1Password) Support Moderator / Dropbox Forum Moderator

relevant link from the knowledge base http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1password-39-for-mac-from-mac-app-store/i-have-multiple-macs-do-i-need-to-purchase-1password-more-than-once

relevant quote from the knowledge base

Are there family pack licensing options in the App Store?

No, apps are purchased for and owned by a user linked to a single Apple ID. But if you log in with that ID on all the Macs in your household, you can download and install your apps on each one

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited February 2013
    Options

At current there is no allowance in the Mac App Store for family licenses I posted the relevant info from the knowledge base.

At current there is no way for agile to charge thru the app store for any such allowances. The single apple ID is your best bet. The App store only allows for a purchase at the then sale price there are no other charges allowed.

Again if you look at the knowledge base you will not have to purchase at additional charges.
    Its perfect legit to allow this single id purchase and to install it for the wife and kids etc.

There are hundreds, thousands of other people doing this currently.

--

Tom Hightower

AgileBits (1Password) Support Moderator / Dropbox Forum Moderator

• wwong
    wwong
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying with references... The information comes from MacWorld Magazine and not Apple, but since AgileBits refers to it in their "official" support knowledge base, they must agree with this interpretation. I was getting "thrown" because I've always interpreted "computers you personally own" as strictly that, the multiple Macs that I, only, personally own and not computers that others in my family owns. (I guess my spouse and I need to start sharing the cost of our respective Macs instead of each of buying our own equipment with our own respective bank accounts). The final kicker for me, in that same MacWorld FAQ, is that they finally say:

"Are there family pack licensing options in the App Store?
    No, apps are purchased for and owned by a user linked to a single Apple ID. But if you log in with that ID on all the Macs in your household, you can download and install your apps on each one."

Again, thanks "thigh tower" for clarifying this issue as well as pointing out where it's talked about in print (rather than having just to rely on "well everybody does it so it's okay...). So it looks like I'll be saving some money by "only" having to buy one single license of 1P rather than the more pricey Family License from now on.

Gee, I also need to stop buying multiple copies of all the other software we buy on the MAS since that's what we've been doing all along.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited February 2013
    Options

I bet probably me and you are the only ones who have multiple copies running around for this and that. I know at first I also purchased a lot under his and hers. It makes my old head hurt at how much money was spent.

But yet again, most of the apps I purchased were for quality developers like agile so that indeed makes me feel better.

BTW Yes I do have 2 purchased copies of 1Password from the Mac App Store. Before I had the light bulb go off in the old noggin and saw the same thing I pointed out to you. Doh on my part.

Welcome to my little club of missed it by that much. LOL

This discussion has been closed.