Mac App Store VS. Website Features

Options
sovanbu
sovanbu
Community Member
edited March 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I tried searching for an existing post for this but couldn't find one. So I hope no one kicks me in my head for asking :)

Are certain features specific to each version? If so is there a detailed account? I currently have the Website version and wasn't sure when 1 Password 4 comes out if I should continue sticking with the Website version.

Thank you for your time,

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password 3.8 (from our website) and 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store) are essentially identical. The very slight differences are pretty much just related to application sandboxing which, again, shouldn't make any practical difference in daily use.

We do have a detailed list of the specific changes, though, if you are interested in the geeky details.

I don't think I can stress it enough that there really isn't enough of a difference to make any appreciable difference. Purchase wherever works best for you. :)

Additionally, if, for some reason, you need to use 1Password 3.8 after purchasing 1Password 3.9 on the Mac App Store, you can email us your MAS receipt and we can create a 3.8 license key for you. The reverse is not possible since Apple doesn't allow any developer to transfer a license into the App Store, so in that regard you may get more flexibility from purchasing on the Mac App Store.

Of course, since you already have a 1Password license, you don't really need to purchase anything right now. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply khad! Good to know. I just hope 1Password 4 for mac comes out soon. Any timetable?

Thanks again!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We don't normally pre-announce release dates as too many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned. :)

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member
    Options

Did I see somewhere that anyone purchasing 3.9 now will be given a free upgrade to 4.0 when it comes out?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yep.

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks... is that true for a purchase through the Apple app store also?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

All Mac App Store copies of 1Password come with a free upgrade to Mac version 4 when available. This has always been the case. :)

• memeLab
    memeLab
    Community Member
    Options

So, by extension will v5+ be free upgrades for MAS purchases? I've read this forum entry but it's unclear to me...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So, by extension will v5+ be free upgrades for MAS purchases? I've read this forum entry but it's unclear to me...

It's impossible to say. The Mac App Store didn't even exist when v3 debuted four years ago. Who knows what the future holds? :)

I wouldn't count on it, though. We have been providing this offer in order to help folks migrate to the new version. We want to be extremely generous to folks, so they get the new version if they bought any time even remotely close to the 1Password 4 for Mac debut. My guess is that v5 will be a paid upgrade just like v3 and v4. Remember: v4 is a paid upgrade. There are just a couple ways to become eligible to get it free.

You will get 1Password 4 for Mac free if you…

…ever bought on MAS (including now).

…bought from our site in 2013 (including now).

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.