Can't select dropbox folder from initial setup

Options
thefreak6767
thefreak6767
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

Hi,
I had 1P3 purchased on the store, and decided to get 1P4 on the mac app store today, trying to be a loyal customer and support agile!
Anyway, right away on the new screen, after selecting "I've used 1password before", then it asks for "where's my data?":

It gives me the choice of iCloud, dropbox folder, this mac, another computer.

As I've been using dropbox for syncing dropbox for years, I select dropbox option.
I select my dropbox folder where it's located on my mac, and hit the "open" button, but nothing happens...

I repaired permissions, etc, nothing happens.

Any idea?

Not really keen on syncing with iCloud, since dropbox sync has always been working 100% for me so far.

Regards

Comments

• thefreak6767
    thefreak6767
    Community Member
    Options

Wait, is it actually asking you for the exact "1Password.agilekeychain" file rather than the general dropbox folder??

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @thefreak6767. Thanks for reporting this. We already have a bug filed to fix it. You asked:

Wait, is it actually asking you for the exact "1Password.agilekeychain" file rather than the general dropbox folder??

That's correct. More accurately, the text should be something like Click here to find the 1Password.agilekeychain file.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with and enjoy using 1Password 4!

• mpmchugh
    mpmchugh
    Community Member
    Options

I'd been syncing with DropBox since v3, and when I upgraded, it all switched over to iCloud, which I guess is fine, but odd that it didn't give me an option. Also, didn't v3 allow syncing via multiple services?

• thefreak6767
    thefreak6767
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent! up and runing now! sweat update, great work guys!
    You are correct, the text should be slightly more precise.
    Regards

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Much appreciate your followup, @thefreak6767 -- thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mpmchugh.

I'm not sure why 1P4 was configured to use iCloud instead of automatically locating and using your Dropbox data. Is this the first screen you saw after first running it?

There's a "click here to select a different option" there but it's easy to miss or not think it's necessary to use. I'm filing a report to improve this. Were you able to get Dropbox Sync working properly later?

Also, didn't v3 allow syncing via multiple services?

Yup. There's more about that in this topic:

Syncing with Dropbox or iCloud?

I hope that's helpful!

• n2cjn
    n2cjn
    Community Member
    Options

Ive tried selecting the dropbox folder and the 1Password.agilekeychain_folder folder - neither one works -- open does nothing.

• n2cjn
    n2cjn
    Community Member
    Options

Upon rereading the thread, I am even more confused. In dropbox I dont have a 1Password.agilekeychain file. I have a 1Password.agilekeychain_folder folder.

• mpmchugh
    mpmchugh
    Community Member
    Options

For me, it just said it found my data on iCloud. I didn't notice the "select a different option".

• n2cjn
    n2cjn
    Community Member
    Options

It never found my data...it asked if I was new to 1Password or not...when I said I had used it before...it asked where. I clicked "dropbox" and got a file chooser. Selecting neither the dropbox folder or the agilekeychain folder worked. Im wondering if the fact that I have a folder instead of a package file is causing the problem.

• n2cjn
    n2cjn
    Community Member
    Options

OK...figured it out. I duplicated the agilekeychain_folder and dropped the "_folder" from the copy's name. then restarted 1password, which accepted the new name. Now I just have to get all my computers to sync on the new folder.

• n2cjn
    n2cjn
    Community Member
    Options

updates from one Mac (addition of a new entry) arent showing up in other computers that are supposedly pointing to the same agilekeychain file.

• healy
    healy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the exact same problem on my 10.8.5 Mac. Appstore v3 -> v4 and it will not let me select "open" in dropbx. I tried dropping the "_folder" name from the location and it found it but I am hesitant to drop the folder extension as I sync between 3 macs, 2 PC's and 3 IOS devices

• healy
    healy
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a fix in the work for this issue?

• @n2cjn,

Thank you for figuring out how to resolve this issue!

Since you renamed the file, other computers and devices linked to it might not be find it right away. If you have 1Password 3 installed on any other computers, please try to double-click on the new file to make sure they are using it.

• @healy,

We'll try to get this fixed asap. Are you using the Mac App Store version or a version from AgileBits website?

• healy
    healy
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem - I'm using the Mac Appstore version 3 that I upgraded to the Appstore version 4. Don't know if it matters but I've been using 1Pass since version 1 from AgileBits and I've been using the same Dropbox location through each upgrade. I used version 3 from AgilBits, then bought the AppStore version and converted to it. Also using the Windows version as well as IOS which is why I don't want to hassle with renaming the folder and trying to synch all my devices. Thanks for looking into this!

• DisQuoi
    DisQuoi
    Community Member
    Options

I think this thread applies to my situation but I can't understand how people have resolved this.

• I don't remember if I bought 1Password originally on AgileBits website or the App Store ... it has been a looong time
    • I bought 1P4 today on the App Store
    • I have always used dropbox to sync 1P3 between two Macs and an iPhone (1P3 is working fine)
    • During installation, I select "I've used 1Password before"
    • I enable the radio button, "Dropbox"
    • I click, "choose folder ..."
    • I select the "1Password" folder I have always used in Dropbox and click "Open". Nothing happens
    • I click into the 1Password folder and there is a single file called "Dropbox.app". I'm not sure what THAT means. This is the path listed in my 1P3 Preferences for the data file. I see no other files. "1Password.agilekeychain" is no where on my Mac. But 1P3 works fine and sync across devices.

I am stuck. Is 1P4 supposed to search for the data? How can I find it?

• healy
    healy
    Community Member
    Options

@disquoi - There is not an official fix yet. People have resolved it by renaming the folder in dropbox to remove the "_folder" from the name but I do not want to do that because I syn to more than just Macs. 1Password is investigating a fix still.

• DisQuoi
    DisQuoi
    Community Member
    Options

@healy - Thanks. I guess you're still waiting, huh? It's hard me to know where my data is stored. But as far as I can tell, the file path (as shown in 1P3 Preferences is "Dropbox>1Password>Dropbox.app". The word "folder" doesn't see to be my problem. I am confused about whether "Dropbox.app" is my data file? It's the only visible file but with the "app" file extension, I would have thought it was an application.

All I know is that my iPhone syncs via dropbox flawlessly with my Mac so the data file MUST be there, right? lol

Honestly, I would have hoped that 1P4 would search my computer for the data file since I obviously don;t know where it is :)

• DisQuoi
    DisQuoi
    Community Member
    Options

My fix:

In 1P3, Did File>Export>*.1pif **** Removed 1P4 from iPhone and iPad (I had upgraded these devised from previous versions earlier) **** uninstalled 1P3 and data from Mac Dropbox folder **** Started 1P4 as new user **** imported *.1pif file *** reinstalled 1P4 on both iOS devises **** I'm a little disappointed in having to upgrade this way.

• DisQuoi
    DisQuoi
    Community Member
    Options

Note: I am pleased that both iOS devices immediately opened, and synced flawlessly.

• healy
    healy
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem - latest appstore version installed correctly. Thanks for the fix!

• Nebukad14
    Nebukad14
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have read through this and some other threads but did not find a solution yet :(
    I have also upgraded to 1P4 via AppStore and installed on my MacAir, which works flawless, as well as on my iphone and ipad - flawless as well.
    however, I have received a new iMac, on which I installed 1P4 from the AppStore V.4.05001 (I have checked the AppStore and it does not find any update for that).
    I cannot choose DropBox for syncing, there is a file called 1Password.agilekeychain (it does not say _folder) but even if I chose it, nothing happens.
    Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks a lot!!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nebukad14,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

You're right, 4.0.5 is the latest version for the Mac App Store. We do have an update awaiting approval, but for the time being you are up to date.

Now, I just want to be sure I'm understanding your situation correctly: your new iMac does not have any data currently stored in 1Password, but you do have Dropbox installed and running on the computer, right?

If so, you should be able to get your database into 1Password 4 like so:

• Quit 1Password
    • Open a Finder Window to Dropbox/1Password (this is the default location of your keychain file)
    • Doubleclick on the 1Password.agilekeychain file to open 1Password 4 and load it with your database.

Please let me know how this works for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.