Charged for 1Password 4 upgrade

Options
dzapcic
dzapcic
Community Member

I already had 1Password 3 installed on my Macbook Air. I went to the Mac App Store and "bought" the 1Password 4 app, only to find out later it should have been a free upgrade. Has anyone else had this issue? Any way I can get my money back? I just bought 1Password 3 a couple months ago!

Comments

• fahnoe
    fahnoe
    Community Member
    Options

I was not aware that it was supposed to be a free upgrade, but I have had to pay to upgrade two machines from 1P3 to 1P4.

--Larry

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

I think it was supposed to be free upgrade only for people who bought it from the MAS. Less lucky ones who bought it from the website have to pay. Doesn't feel right, especially for me as an early user who bought 1P before even MAS existed and paid for upgrades since.

• Hi guys,

@dzapic,

I went to the Mac App Store and "bought" the 1Password 4 app, only to find out later it should have been a free upgrade.

Did you buy 1Password 3 from Mac App Store or from our webstore? 1Password 4 is a free upgrade to all customers who bought 1Password 3 at the Mac App Store. If you saw the Buy button, then you likely bought 1Password 3 from our website. It's a free upgrade for all website customers who bought it in the year 2013.

We'll be emailing out the free website upgrade licenses in the next few days. Please email us at support@agilebits.com explaining what happened and we'll see what we can do for you.

@fahnoe, It's a free upgrade for all customers who bought 1Password 3 at the Mac App Store, and for all website customers who bought 1Password 3 at our web store in the last 9 months or anytime in the year 2013.

@lpn, That's not true, all website customers who bought 1Password 3 from our webstore in the year 2013 gets a free upgrade. A lot of folks who still own 1Password 3 also bought 1Password 3 at the Mac App Store again, so that's why they do get the free upgrade, they paid the upgrade fee.

• dzapcic
    dzapcic
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT. I sent an email and inquired on the website as well. Yes, I did purchase from your webstore because I bought the family license to install on Windows and Mac. I just upgraded my Macbook Air this morning though. And yes, I did buy in 2013. Thanks for the clarification.

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@MikeT: I see, I was wrong about nobody who bought it from the website getting free upgrade. I still don't get the logic behind having people who bought it from the website in 2012 having to pay for the upgrade, and those who bought it in 2012 from MAS to have it for free, but that's not the reason why I will postpone upgrading -- it is mostly the issues that people are experiencing with v4. Once these are fixed, I could consider upgrading.

• rlp
    rlp
    Community Member
    Options

Are future upgrades of the Mac App Store purchases always going to be free, or is this just a one-time deal for the version 3 to 4 upgrade?

• Hi guys,

@dzapcic, In that case you shouldn't be paying anything, we'll issue a refund for you.

@lpn, Because many folks who bought 1Password 3 before the Mac App Store also bought it again at the Mac App Store for 25$ to upgrade to 1Password 4 for free. Originally, we were going to offer 1Password only at the Mac App Store. We changed our minds and so, we're offering it for free for all of those customers who bought it.

Apple doesn't give us any controls over how to offer upgrade pricing at the Mac App Store, so this is the best we can do to be fair.

@rlp, It won't be free forever. However, we really can't predict the future as 1Password 5 is likely to be far away (1Password 3 was released back in 2009). So, who knows what will change with the Mac App Store then in terms of offering upgrade pricing.

For now, if we were releasing 1Password 5 tomorrow, it'd be sold as a separate app just like we did with the 1Password 4 for iOS app.

• dzapcic
    dzapcic
    Community Member
    Options

Just a note, it's been a week and no answer from support after multiple emails. I was indeed charged by the app store and have not been issued a refund.

• dzapcic
    dzapcic
    Community Member
    Options

Just a note for you @MikeT, your support on Twitter informed me that they cannot issue a refund and that I need to contact Apple. They then asked me which version I wanted, the MAS version or the website version. Are they not the same??? This is ridiculous. It shouldn't matter where I purchase an upgrade from. And even so, it was purchased from the MAS so it should have been free. If this isn't resolved, I'll be sure to switch products.

• dzapcic
    dzapcic
    Community Member
    Options

So now I'm being told I received an email about upgrading, and that the upgrade would be free if I got it through the website, just as I purchased the v3 product. Funny thing is, the email came DAYS after I upgraded via the Mac App Store. I think this should be a simple resolution. Yet, after a week of no response to my emails, I finally tweet @1Password. They tell me support is "very busy." So busy they can't respond to an email in a week's time?! And now they basically tell me I can't be issued a refund?! I'll be sure to switch to LastPass now or another comparable product. This is a simple fix Agilebits, and you're customer service is failing miserably.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

dzapcic, It is common for MAS and original versions to be somewhat different. Specifically, iCloud access is only possible for App Store apps, not for outside ones. This is a plus for the App Store version of programs. On the other hand, a minus for App Store programs is that they are sandboxed, which implies that they don't have the wide access to the file system that outside versions have.

And only Apple can issue refunds for items purchased from the App Store. The developers can, as a goodwill gesture, replay someone who purchased from the App Store, but this costs them money as they would refund the full price but only receive from Apple 70% of the price.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@dzapcic

The major difference between the Web site version and the Mac App Store version is that the MAS version supports iCloud syncing.

I have heard that multiple emails can throw you at the back of the line after you send in a new one your place in line is reset. Its actually stated on a diagnostic submission receipt email I received.

• @dzapcic

I am sorry about the delay. Our inbox is currently close to 10,000 messages and it might take more than a week to get an answer, unfortunately :(

• ellenann9424
    ellenann9424
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I've read through the thread. My situation is this: I have a Mac Mini running Mountain Lion on which I have 1Password 3.8.1. Don't use this computer every day. I have a MBP with Mountain Lion on which 1Password has been upgraded last fall to version 4. Today, I'm trying to upgrade on the Mini, and when I run Software Update, I get the message that I'm running the most recent version. I just now checked, and I have a receipt from AgileBits from Nov 7, 2013, where I paid $24.99 for 1Password 4 for Mac. I'm totally confused. Was that transaction supposed to be free? And why can't I upgrade my Mini without paying $49.99?

• Hey @ellenann9424,

1Password 4 is a brand new app, therefore must be downloaded from the AgileBits website rather than updated using 1Password 3's in-app updater. Once you install it, you can apply the same 1Password 4 license file that you're using on your MBP. No need to purchase again.

The upgrade from version 3 to version 4 was free only if you purchased 1Password 3 in 2013. If you bought it prior to that, the $24.99 price tag is correct.

Hope that helps! :)

• ellenann9424
    ellenann9424
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, it does indeed! In the ensuing investigation, I find that I don't have Mountain Lion on my Mini, but just Lion, for which the version of 1Password IS up to date. Ahem. Time to pay more attention to my Mini, me thinks.

This discussion has been closed.