why does the 1password kept auto locking ?

Options
David Cher
David Cher
Community Member

in the 1password 3 it does not auto lock , how to stop it from locking ?

Comments

• roustem
    edited October 2013
    Options

David,

Please check the auto-lock settings in 1Password > Preferences > Security menu. You can turn off locking options there.

• David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    Options

it is unchecked but whenever i start the computer it will be locked

• jstr
    jstr
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing this too. I have auto-lock turned off but every 5-10 mins or after locking my screen I get asked for my 1Password master password.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys,

It's intended that 1P4 be locked after each system restart, David. Is it auto-locking, for either or both of you, after unlocked even with all the Auto-lock options disabled (as shown in David's image)? If that's an issue, which versions of 1P4 (MAS or web store) and OS X are you running? If any Auto-lock options are being ignored we want to determine why and fix that.

Thanks!

• David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    Options

sorry let me clarify that in the old version 1password 3.0 , on system restart or startup , i can make it stay unlocked . it is very frustrating . can an option be enabled so that we can let it stay unlocked on restart or start up?

• David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    Options

any updates on this one ?

• David,

You are right. 1Password 3.8 had a special option that allowed you to store the master password in the OS X keychain. We removed this option in 1Password 3.9 (Mac App Store version) for several reasons. The most important one was that people who store the master password in the OS X keychain tend to forget it because they are never forced to type it. Forgetting the master password is the same as losing all 1Password data.

At the moment, this option is not available in 1Password 4. We could add it at some point and I would love to see your argument for it.

Thank you!

• SuperKirby
    SuperKirby
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

No! Allowing to store the pw in the OS Keychain is a bad idea!

B-)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, would never store my 1P master password in the OS X keychain. However, if some people want to do it and it's an option I guess that would be OK for me. However, it should probably come with a security warning.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @SuperKirby and @Stephen_C!

I'll pass it along to the developers :)

• drrandy
    drrandy
    Community Member
    Options

On my home computer, where no one but me has access, I'd like to disable the auto locking on the Chrome extension. There used to be a way to do this under the system preferences under the browser tab, but I can no longer find this option. What to do?

• nels0nb
    nels0nb
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to see this as an option like @stephen_C has mentioned. I do remember seeing security warnings before.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @drrandy. I've merged your post with this related topic. As noted here, there's currently no option to fully disable auto-locking in 1P4 but disabling all the current Auto-lock options under Preferences > Security (like in the image of David Cher's post #3) will minimize it.

About storing the Master Password in the OS X keychain, @roustem previously said:

We could add it at some point and I would love to see your argument for it.

I'm also curious to hear specific reasons in favor of doing that and wonder if a "Disable Auto-lock" option would be a viable alternative.

• Tijl Willemsens
    Tijl Willemsens
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to see an option to disable auto-lock after reboot or startup like in the previous version. If it does not have to be stored in the keychain I'm all for that, but otherwise I'd prefer an option to keep it unlocked even if it means it's stored in the keychain. I use my computer at home and use system login lock or screen lock when I leave it. I believe there should be an option for customers like me, as it's indeed annoying to have to type the master password every time after login (I have remembered a quite long one, and I like it that way).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, @TW79.

Thanks for describing why you'd like to disable 1P4 auto-locking. That's one of the common reasons others have mentioned.

A computer at home, like yours, is normally less likely to be stolen (and always much less likely lost) than a portable so leaving 1Password data unlocked on it isn't as much of a physically vulnerability. Permanently disabling auto-locking on a portable seems very rarely a sensible thing to do. A general exception is with 1Password data that someone isn't concerned about who has it. Surely, never lock it. :)

• pmehta
    pmehta
    Community Member
    Options

i would prefer to have 1P v4 unlock when i login be it post reboot, screen saver auto lock or lock session

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @pmehta.

Have you disabled all the current Auto-lock options under Preferences… > Security to help minimize auto-locking?

This new option was added in 4.1.2.BETA-4:

• Added "Lock when fast user switching" preference in Preferences > Security.
  • pmehta
    pmehta
    Community Member
    Options

i have unchecked the options lets see hot it goes this time

• Sass
    Sass
    Community Member
    Options

I would really like the option to be able to toggle the permanently unlocked feature. I have a laptop that only leaves my house once a year and then is never in a position where it is vulnerable to theft. I have an ipad that very rarely laves my house except to be in my car with me and an iphone that is never off my person either. When I am traveling through airports, it think it would be wise to be able to toggle it locked, but it is always with me otherwise. I am willing to take the responsibility of locking it when I am in a more vulnerable situation.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for adding your vote for an option to keep 1Password unlocked, @Sass.

Presumably you've already disabled all the current Auto-lock options under Preferences… > Security to help minimize auto-locking, like I asked @pmehta?

• mhp
    mhp
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, would like a permanently unlock option. My Mac Pro never leaves home.

This discussion has been closed.