Favicon support (sometimes) works?

Options
0xFB00
0xFB00
Community Member

What is the magic rule for when 1Password will apply a website favicon and when it will not? I have a number of items in the keychain that appear to have picked up the favicon of the site they are for; most of them don't however.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The standard answer is something like "it all depends on whether or not the rich icon is stored on AgileBits' server". However, it seems there can be some anomalies sometimes (with an icon appearing in the main login entry and not in the list of logins, for example). Is the latter what you are seeing, or is it merely that you have some logins without any icons other than the standard 1P icon? (I'm assuming you've chosen to use rich icons under Preferences > General.)

(For software licences, you can edit the software icon in the relevant entry and drag the relevant app to that edited icon and the app icon will automatically be inserted for you.)

Stephen

• 0xFB00
    0xFB00
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have rich icons on. What I'm getting is the standard generic 1P icon for the item. The sites in question generally have a favicon; in the previous version of 1Pass an image of the page could be stored as the website icon.

Is 1Pass going to store/create a "rich" icon for every site on the internet? No. Why is the favicon if available not used for a site, understanding that it is probably low resolution. It's still better than a list of 50 items with the generic 1P icon.

• Uno_Lavoz
    Uno_Lavoz
    Community Member
    Options

Icon support in 1Password 4 is still a work in progress.

In fact the biggest issue right now is that custom icons look so poor. See:
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/84500/#Comment_84500

It's somewhat sad that I am still a 1P3 user despite owning a 1P4 license. But I'm not switching until more bugs are ironed out.

For now, my 1P4 license lives inside of 1P3 with a beautiful, crisp icon. It'll remain there until 1P4 itself has nice icons.

• Hi @0xFB00,

If you see the favicon for the site, then the 1Password's image service should have that icon already. It downloads the favicon from the site and saves it. The issues are often that the site times out or the image service sometimes overloads.

We scan for Apple Touch icons (higher resolution) first from the site, and if it doesn't exist, then it scans for the favicons. We do try again once a day if the icons don't exist.

If the site doesn't have either, we add it to our list and our interns will create a custom icon sorted by popularity. We're currently working out the glitches where we have the icon, but the service isn't producing multiple sizes of it properly, and that's why you can see one icon in the item listing but not the detail view as it'd show a bigger icon. We will make improvements over time.

Hopefully, we can also automate the ability to take a screenshot of the site as an icon if the site doesn't have favicon/Apple Touch icons.

Custom icons are supported as well if you want to do that. We'll work out some compression issues in future updates as currently 1Password sets a max limit of 16KB per icon.

This discussion has been closed.