How to uninstall 1Password 3 when installing 4?

Options
2»

Comments

• glwilson
    glwilson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for posting the answer!

• noonchai
    noonchai
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using the AgileBits version for both 1Password 3 and 1Password 4. Although I'm a little unsure if only dragging v3 to the trash doesn't leave behind any unnecessary files that v4 doesn't need.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

noonchai wrote:

I'm using the AgileBits version for both 1Password 3 and 1Password 4. Although I'm a little unsure if only dragging v3 to the trash doesn't leave behind any unnecessary files that v4 doesn't need.

You might be right that some unnecessary files may be left behind, but from the message from AgileBits support you posted, I think that 1P 4 should at least work fine. It would be nice, of course, if AgileBits could explain things on this forum and/or in the upgrade documentation.

• scottmil
    scottmil
    Community Member
    Options

After installing 1Password 4, I deleted the 1Password 3 app and the directory /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/1Password. 1Password 4 creates its own Application Support directory named 1Password 4.

• big77
    big77
    Community Member
    Options

scotmill wrote:

After installing 1Password 4, I deleted the 1Password 3 app and the directory /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/1Password.

That deletes the 1Password 3 data file though, so you can't go back if you wanted to.

• big77
    big77
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I came across another thread where a 1Password rep indicated that version 3 and 4 are intended to coexist without problems, and in fact if you experience an issue with 1P4 it's fine to go back to 1P3.

Except the browser extensions aren't compatible so you have to uninstall/reinstall those to go between the versions which is a real pain.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

One solution to the incompatible browser extensions issue would be to use one browser with 1PW4 and another with 1PW3

• wbingham
    wbingham
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to get rid of 1Password 3 by going to Force Quit and then dragging it from the Applications folder to the trash.

• Rapidisimo
    Rapidisimo
    Community Member
    Options

I just dragged my 1Password 3 to the trash. Interestingly enough it wasn't in the Applications folder anymore at least not where it displays all the regular apps (HDD\Applications\1Password) it was instead in Users\myuser\Applications\1Password

• MikeT
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi guys,

I do apologize for the lack of responses thus far, we have a huge backlog in our support queue (over 20K emails) that we're trying to answer personally as fast as we can and the same for the forum here. We're a small team but we're doing everything we can as fast as humanly as possible.

As for the proper ways to uninstall 1Password 3, we'll have a guide specifically for uninstalling 1Password 3 after upgrading to 1Password 4 written up as soon as possible.

Here's the basic gist for removing the website version of 1Password 3

1. If you still have 1Password 3 extensions installed, follow the instructions here to sync any remaining changes from the extensions to 1Password 3 and then uninstall 1Password 3 extensions
    2. Open 1Password 3, go to the File Menu > Backup to create an additional backup
    3. Now, close 1Password 3. Go to the Applications folder, and move the 1Password.app (quicklook on this file to confirm it is version 3) to the Trash. Note: Do not use any cleaning tools to remove excessive files from 1Password, you can lose your backups and data file like this. Simply remove the 1Password.app file.
    4. Reboot your computer, open 1Password 4 and everything should be good to go.

One more thing..

Just in case, open Activity Monitor from your Applications > Utilities folder and search for 1Password Agent. If it is still running, do the following:

1. Open Finder, select the Go Menu > Go to Folder… and enter ~/Library/LaunchAgents, don't forget the beginning ~ character.
    2. Delete the ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist file in that folder.
    3. Now, go back to the Go Menu > Go to Folder… again and enter ~/Library/Application Support/1Password and delete the Agent folder there.
    4. Restart your Mac, confirm with Activity Monitor that there is no more 1Password Agent running.

For MAS customers

You don't have to do anything, Apple will automatically replace 1Password 3.9.x with 1Password 4 as it is a direct update to 1Password 3.9.x.

• bonnieb
    bonnieb
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for letting us know what to do with the old version; it seemed worrisome for there to be no mention of it in the new documentation.

I have Hazel set to always sweep for ancillary files when uninstalling things. So I should answer "No" when Hazel asks me (as presumably it will when I delete 1P3 folder from /Applications) if it should delete such-and-such other files?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bonnieb.

Shortly after moving the website version of 1Password 3 from /Applications to Trash with the App Sweep feature in Hazel enabled a window similar to this should appear:

Click Keep All there, consistent with what @MikeT wrote in post #41:

Note: Do not use any cleaning tools to remove excessive files from 1Password, you can lose your backups and data file like this. Simply remove the 1Password.app file.

Trashing ~/Library/Application Support/1Password, like Hazel's App Sweep offers to do, is strongly discouraged. And there may be backups and data files in other locations that App Sweep and other cleaning tools might find and remove with or (much worse) without warning.

• tonysony
    tonysony
    Community Member
    Options

Um, why isn't there a simple way to remove 3 after 4 is installed?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tonysony,

I do apologize that the uninstall process is a bit involved. If you run into any snags during the process, please let me know where things are going sideways and I'll do my best to help straighten things out :)

• fdlockhart
    fdlockhart
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I used Hazel and allowed it to delete the library files, Sure enough, all of my login passwords are gone. Even my dropbox files are empty. I have a Time Machine backup from about 2 hours prior to this happening.

How do I restore?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @fdlockhart.

I'm sorry Hazel removed more of your 1Password data than you wanted it to. Which version of the 1Password app did you delete and which version you using now that's currently missing 1Password data? That information will help determine which files/folders you may need to restore.

In my earlier post #43 example of removing the 1P3 app, Hazel's App Sweep limited itself to offering to throw away files/folders that only 1P3 would use. So if you removed the 1P3 app but are currently using 1P4 then I'm confused what happened. If you did remove the 1P4 app then it makes sense why App Sweep would offer to throw away 1P4-related files/folders.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi, @fdlockhart.

Did you know that you can restore deleted items in Dropbox? Easier for you to check their site than for me to explain details.

• Zhang Larry
    Zhang Larry
    Community Member
    Options

Wish this official solution helpful.
    http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/uninstall.html

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi, Zhang Larry.

Are you having specific issues with anything in that Completely Uninstalling 1Password guide for 1Password 3? I've successfully used the 1Password Uninstaller several times.

• rroese
    rroese
    Community Member
    Options

Hello SJK -- what is unnerving about the 1P3 uninstaller is no mention of it uninstalling EVERYTHING -- even the new 1P4 files that are needed. If we knew that ONLY the 1P3 items would be deleted it would be easy. Can we safely use it for 1P3 only or is it a program to completely clean all 1P data regardless of version?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @rroese,

Is it just the 1Password Uninstaller application for 1Password 3 you're referring to as being unnerving or also any information under Uninstalling 1Password Manually in the Completely Uninstalling 1Password guide? In the Removing the Data File section, "other copies of 1Password for Mac" can apply to 1Password 4:

IMPORTANT: If your data file is currently located in a Dropbox-monitored folder, deleting it on this system will delete it from all other systems that are syncing with the same Dropbox account. This will impact other copies of 1Password for Mac, 1Password for Windows and the 1Password mobile apps that are using the same Dropbox account as a sync method.

If it's known or possible that the 1Password Uninstaller application will remove any of your data that's still being accessed beyond 1Password 3, just make sure the Move data file and backups to Trash option is disabled. I'm not certain at the moment, but 1Password Uninstaller might mistakenly move the 1Password 4 application to Trash, where it could simply be moved back to the /Applications folder if that does happen.

I hope that helps answer your question:

Can we safely use it for 1P3 only or is it a program to completely clean all 1P data regardless of version?

It's not a "1Password data removal" tool beyond what Removing the Data File covers in the guide. For example, It'll never touch the 1Password 4 databases stored here under user home folders:

• Mac App Store version:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

• AgileBits Store and beta versions:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data

The safest way to use it, essentially as a 1Password 3 `non-data' removal tool, is with the Move data file and backups to Trash option disabled.

If you have other questions or issues please let us know. Thanks!

• Joe Bartels
    Joe Bartels
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,
    Two questions to heat up the interesting thread again:
    I use 1P4 from the web store.

1) I changed the sync folder to iCloud. In this case the 1Password.agilekeychain and Backups from 1P3 should not be used any longer in 1P4. It should be safe to delete 1Password folder (the one from 1P3) in library / application support. Correct?
    2) If I backup to time machine or similar on a regular basis I could exclude the sub folder "Backups" from those time machine backup. Correct?

Thanks Joe

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there, Joe!

To answer your first question:

If nothing is modifying or syncing with the 1Password.agilekeychain from 1Password 3 and you're certain you won't need any data from it later, then it should be fine to delete it. And if you're sure your 1Password 3 backups will never be necessary, then those should also be okay to remove.

About your second question:

2) If I backup to time machine or similar on a regular basis I could exclude the sub folder "Backups" from those time machine backup. Correct?

I'm unclear about which Backups folder you would want to exclude from a Time Machine or other backup. Related to your first question, if you're removing unneeded 1Password 3 backups (and possibly the entire folder) then that shouldn't need exclusion from TM or other backups. And surely you don't want to exclude your current 1Password 4 backups from TM, etc. :)

This discussion has been closed.