Copy button doesn't show up when accessing the main app for the first time [Confirmed, will fix]

Options
ashleyk
ashleyk
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

When 1Password 4 is first started I frequently find the copy function doesn't work unless I click on another entry and then click back. As an example, let's say I have a couple of favourites and I want to click on my Apple password to download something from the App Store. The copy button won't work until I select another favourite and then click back to the original. It's not the end of the world but it's definitely not right. I'm using the latest App Store version so this may have been fixed in newer betas.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ashleyk.

I'm sorry you're having this problem using copy with 1P4. Maybe you could mention an example of how you how you can tell when it's not working? And are you using any special clipboard managers that might be interfering with how 1P4 copies to your clipboard? Thanks for any additional information that could help us find the cause of this problem and get it resolved for you!

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi sjk,

When this occurs the copy button at the righthand side of the entry never appears as expected when I pass over with the mouse. Then when I click in the area there is an impression that the button is somehow present but invisible and not activated, so it's all a bit strange. Clicking on another item and then going back to the original fixes this.

The only clipboard related app I am using that might interfere would be launchbar but I've noticed that items copied in 1Password4 never appear in the list of copied items shown by launchbar, which I believe that has changed since 1Password 3.

Yesterday I decided to run fsck, reset the pram and also repaired all permissions inside recovery mode, since when I haven't seen this problem in 1Password but I'll keep an eye on it. There was no particular reason to do all this maintenance other than the thought that it might be a good idea after a major system upgrade.

On a side note it occurred to me yesterday that I would love an option inside 1Password that would allow us to colour or tag certain pieces of text so they are easier to find. With some items there is a lot of information and it would be great if there was a way to identify key pieces within the notes at a glance.

Thanks

Ashley

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ashleyk.

Thanks for describing how copy is/was malfunctioning for you in 1P4. Glad to hear some system maintenance may have cleared up whatever was causing it!

About data copied from 1P4 not appearing in LaunchBar's Clipboard History, do you have the Ignore Applications option enabled under LB's Preferences > Clipboard? Enabled or disabled, if you press Edit… next to that option you'll probably find 1Password listed in the Ignore Applications sheet, e.g.:

About colorizing/tagging certain 1P4 text, do you mean within notes text fields of Secure Note and other items? Here's @MikeT's reply to a similar request that included "… colorizing our type in the Secure Notes":

We do not have plans to do this but we'll consider it in the future. Right now, Secure Notes is meant to store only small textual notes, not be a text editor. We just want to keep the app simple and lightweight.

You could attach docs with such formatting into the app if you want or use Knox (or Disk Utility) to store a collection of folders/files in a secure container, which would let you use any text editors you want while keeping your files encrypted in the container.

That's all we have to offer at the moment.

If there's anything else we can help you with please don't hesitate to ask. :)

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@sjk

OK this is curious. I followed your points here regarding the LaunchBar preferences and sure enough 1Password was listed as an application to ignore, so I removed it from that list, however immediately following that step the mystery bug returned inside 1Password and only clicking to another item before returning to the original one cleared the fault.

On top of that I'm finding that copied passwords are still not appearing inside LaunchBar's list of copied items, so I'm wondering if there is some kind of conflict here. If I simply highlight a section of text within the notes of 1Password and copy that by pressing cmd + c it does appear inside LaunchBar. I'm using the latest version 5.6.1 of LaunchBar that was only released a few days ago.

Regarding the coloured text I didn't want to turn 1Password into a word processor but as a simple example if I had a lot of information on a dedicated server including backup scripts, WHM login, FTP, hosting details and support logins etc it might be useful if areas within the notes could be coloured for easy identification. As a workaround it would be enough if we could write the information in Pages or text Edit and copy paste them to the notes section of 1Password including the colours.

• Hi @ashleyk,

I just reproduced your issue, it's not related to the Launchbar. If you don't get the hover copy button, it's not going to copy anything.

However, the issue is why the hover button never showed up in the first place because it is always supposed to show up.

I locked the main app and unlocked it, the hover button doesn't show up for whatever item that is being viewed. Nothing works until I switch to another item, then it starts to work. So, that's why it is intermittent, something about the lock screen or the animation is messing this up.

This is a bug and I've filed a bug report on this, we'll get it fixed in a future update.

As a workaround it would be enough if we could write the information in Pages or text Edit and copy paste them to the notes section of 1Password including the colours.

It doesn't work like that. For the app to support the rich text format (which is what you're copying from Pages or other apps that support such formatting), it must understand what's coming in and that means we have to reprogram the text fields to support the formatting. If we were going to do this, we might as well support formatting. Right now, this is not high on our list to support but we'll consider your request in the future.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,
    I'm glad you were able to pinpoint the same issue and I can confirm that I've now seen this on my Mac Pro as well as an old iMac from mid 2007 but both running Mavericks. It seems to happen most commonly when I first access 1Password.

For the other point I guess I'll just have to find a solution like highlighting certain pieces of text with lots of symbols or adding the items as attachments that can be opened from within 1Password. When I first started with 1Password I only really used it for website logins and to keep license details for software but over time I'm finding I want to use it to store all kinds of information knowing that it's all in one place. For example, why go searching around the computer for that list of OS X terminal commands if they can all be located in 1Password? The only downside is that I want 1Password to be ever more flexible to cope with these demands.

Thanks

Ashley

• Hi @Ashley,

I'm glad you can confirm the pattern, that's even better news because it makes it easy to locate the bug and fix this.

The only downside is that I want 1Password to be ever more flexible to cope with these demands.

Many folks are starting to say the same thing, they are seeing the value of using 1Password to store more and more of their data. We're trying to find better ways to handle the vast resource of new information without slowing down the app, and also without killing the soul and heart of what 1Password is.

We don't really want 1Password to be bloated with new features being added all the time, turning it into a new OS. We want our apps to do less with more. So, there might be a way we can keep the data textual but also let you preview it with rich format, something like Markdown.

• marcisme
    marcisme
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Whenever I have just unlocked the vault, the initial favorite item does not present the copy button on mouseover. Subsequent launches of 1Password work fine.

• OS X 10.9 (13A603)
    • 1Password Version 4.0.5 (405001)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a favorite login item (I currently have 2.)
    2. Lock the vault
    3. Unlock the vault
    4. Mouse over the initially selected favorite item's password; there won't be a copy button

The best workaround I've found is to hit the option key to reveal the password. The copy button will then appear on mouseover. Selecting another entry and re-selecting the original entry also works.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

-Marc

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @marcisme.

I've merged your topic with a similar report of this problem. In particular, see @MikeT's post #6 for a detailed explanation. Thanks!

• marcisme
    marcisme
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks; I didn't find this post when I searched. Glad to know it's recognized, and I'll look forward to the fix.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @marcisme. And thanks for the simple workaround of tapping the Option key.

• addikt10
    addikt10
    Community Member
    Options

Running Version 4.0.9 (409002). Mac is Mavericks 10.9. hardware is mid 2012 15" macbook pro retina

If 1password has locked (timer, screensaver activation, etc), when I unlock 1password, then I can't copy a password from the active saved password, (there is no copy button on hover for any field)

As soon as I change focus to another password and back again, then I can copy the field that I need.

To reproduce :
    Open 1password, search for a password.
    Hovering over the user or password fields creates a "Copy" Dropdown (with other options)
    Activate screensaver using hotcorner
    Unlock Mac
    Unlock 1password
    Hovering over the user or password fields no longer creates a "Copy" Dropdown
    Select another password matching my search criteria
    Select original password entry
    Hovering over the user or password fields once again creates a "Copy" Dropdown.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I was about to report the same thing.

I also happened to notice while working out the details of this issue that you can drag-reorder fields when not in Edit mode. Don't know if this is a bug or a feature.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

I can also confirm the lack of ability to copy when the main application is first unlocked. This is with 4.1.BETA-7, so it isn't fixed yet.

But there is an additional wrinkle: if you raise another window over 1Password and then bring 1Password back to the front, the copy function returns. You don't have to exit the automatically opened record. Or, if the 1P window peeks out from under the overlaid window, copy works while it 1P is still in the background.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

@addikt10: I've merged your topic, plus followups, with a similar report of this problem. In particular, see @MikeT's post #6 for a detailed explanation.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Good to merge these. I responded just as you must have been doing the merge, or I would have remained silent. :)

Also, with respect to using the option key as a workaround, pressing it also revives copy even when the password is displayed because that option is selected in the application'2 menu.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional info, @hawkmoth.

I was a bit surprised seeing yours and @MrC's posts appear after merging since it didn't seem like I'd refreshed the newer topic that long ago. :)

This discussion has been closed.