Can we still find previous generated passwords for a site

Options
timdiggins
timdiggins
Community Member

in 1Password 3 , when I went to generate a password on a site (in chrome or safari) I could see a click a button to see list of generated passwords for that site.

in 1Password 4 in chrome or safari, I can no longer see that list - is there a way to see it?

Comments

• Victoria Klassen
    Victoria Klassen
    Community Member
    Options

I too am looking for a password I generated using this feature, that was there in the previous version, but now it's gone in 1Password 4. This is VERY INCONVENIENT for me! Where do I find a password I created before?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi!

Is the History tab under the 1P mini/extension Password Generator what you're looking for? There's a post/image from @MikeT about it: here.

• Choowsee
    Choowsee
    Community Member
    Options

The @MikeT post doesn't seem to reflect the version of 1Password that I am on. I have version 405001.

Password generator does not show up in my left pane on my 1Password for Mac. When selecting an item and editing I do not see any options for Password History anywhere in the Generate password option.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Choowsee.

@MIkeT's post is about usage of the 1P mini/extension Password Generator. The one you're seeing/using in the 1P4 main application works like this:

When you re-generate a new password in a Login item, the previous generated password will be saved into the Previously used passwords section in that Login item.

… which looks similar to this:

Both are also explained and shown in another post: here.

The main app doesn't have a separate Password Generator like in 1P mini/extension. However:

We're going to try to make some changes here to improve the discoverability of the generator button. It is likely we might bring back the button we have from the iOS app or the 1Password 3 for Mac, where you can just click on a button or icon to bring up the generator, instead of clicking into the password field.

I hope that information is helpful.

• shh
    shh
    Community Member
    Options

Please bring back the password change history in the Mac app. This is yet another feature of 1Password 3 that went missing in 1Password 4.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @shh.

Which specific password change history from 1P3 are you missing in 1P4? Generated Passwords was renamed to Passwords in the main app sidebar:

• shh
    shh
    Community Member
    Options

I was looking for the "Previously used passwords" but it seems that that didn't carry over from 1P3 for me. They do show a history (including the old 1P3 changes) once I update the password in 1P4.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @shh.

How did you migrate your 1Password data from 1P3 to 1P4? When using a keychain the Previously used passwords should have been retained in 1P4. To double-check that they weren't try running a custom search like this and see if it matches any items with a password last changed in 1P3:

In one of my vaults most matching items have current and Previously used passwords from well before ever using 1P4.

• shh
    shh
    Community Member
    Options

I migrated using whatever instructions were given in 1P4. I forget, it was easy and painless. However I do remember removing duplicate items and doing other cleanup, so maybe that was a source of my problems.

At least in some cases my old passwords seem to be there, and once I change them in 1P4 I can see the change history. Before I change them in 1P4 no previously used passwords are shown, either as a list within the item or through a search.

One further complication I'm noticing is that many of my items are now showing the same last modified date even if they weren't modified on that date. It was a date then I was doing a security audit in 1P4, but I didn't manually change these items in any way. I'm trying to figure this out so as to give you better information.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @shh.

After discussing your issues with a colleague my understanding is you'd made password changes in the 1P3 extension, which doesn't add to the password history, so they're not appearing in 1P4. And modification time of items were updated when you dragged them to a folder.

Have both of this issues now been resolved to your satisfaction?

• shh
    shh
    Community Member
    Options

I now understand why both of these things happen:
    1) changing passwords in the 1P3 extension doesn't add those changes to the password history
    2) putting items into a folder in 1P4 changes the modification date
    So although those are not optimal behaviors I can deal with them now that I understand them.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @shh.

I'm glad we both understand this now. :)

This discussion has been closed.