Add form details

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi!
Some of the website I visit changed there online form.
I would like to add some details about the form in 1Password. Is it possible?

I know we can change or delete items of forms, but is it possible to manually add some?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @secretliar!

For the answer to your question, Known Issues in 1Password 4 for Mac says:

• It is not possible to add new fields to the Web Form Details. Web Form Details is used by the extensions to fill in your data on the Login form. If you'd like to add more fields that are not related to the filling, you should use the custom fields instead.

And @MikeT says:

As for the editable web form fields, actually, we do plan to find a way to make the web form fields editable as it is an important tool to fix certain issues with filling on some sites.

What might help for now is creating new Login items for sites that have Web Form Details you'd like to change, using these instructions:

Saving a new Login manually

After confirming the new items are working you can delete originals so you won't get them mixed up.

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@secretliar Like @sjk said, there isn't technically a way to create new fields under Web Form Details details, but here's a workaround:

1. Create a new login, enter a username/password, and save it.
    2. Edit the new login, click on Show web form details and change the person and key icons to the blank option (as shown below).

3. Save the login again.
    4. Edit again, and enter a new username and password (the old ones will have been cleared).
    5. Now, when you click Show web form details, you've got two new custom fields. Repeat steps if you need more.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot ;)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Clever idea, @JasperP. :)

It hadn't occurred to me to intentionally create and reuse extra custom fields under Show web form details that way after noticing new ones added there that could be similarly reused, e,g. duplicate username and password fields.

Thanks for mentioning this!

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks for the workaround, but it should be fixed as soon as possible to add form details. For example, Amazon AWS just changed their login page. That means I have to go and recreate >50 login items, because I can't add a simple field, if I didn't knew this workaround. :-(

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've noted your request for this in our issue tracker, @Thomas. Thanks!

• offby1
    offby1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat, although I could not make the workaround work for me, and basically it's rendered AWS login impossible using 1Password.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @offby1,

1Password will successfully fill logins on AWS and IAM portal pages if you save a new login manually:

Saving a new Login manually

• Alpha_Nexus
    Alpha_Nexus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the workaround @JasperP‌, although I wish 1Password 4 would make it easier to do this than using a workaround because there are some sites that has multiple fields to login, like AWS console with 2-factor auth. 1Password 3 does this fine with it's old implementation but 1Password 4 just fills in the bare minimum even with the workaround so I still have to re-enter the info from the web forms.

It would also be useful to store extra web form details automatically when I'm signing for a new service and 1Password assumes the email field is the username instead of another field. Ex. would be costcotravel.com, they use the membership ID as the username and when I signed up and used the Save Password prompt, it recorded the wrong username and password, leaving me to reset my username and password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alpha_Nexus‌

Saving a new Login manually, as @JasperP suggested, is often the best way to get 1Password to re-learn the fields that it needs to fill. Ideally, you shouldn't need to add any web-form details, because they should be saved correctly by 1Password in the first place. Our developers have been making some great improvements to 1Password's filling abilities lately, and 1Password is now a lot smarter about which fields it needs to save.

You're right though, 1Password doesn't grab the right fields on costcotravel.com. I've filed an issue in our internal tracker to see if our developers can improve 1Password's behaviour here. Please do let us know if any other sites are misbehaving for you and we'll investigate there as well! :)

• ChadScott
    ChadScott
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to +1 this. Not being able to properly edit the form field information is a huge pain. I understand that some users can really get themselves into trouble by noodling with these, but in situations where you need to add a new checkbox/field, it's incredibly cumbersome to have to click, save, click, save, edit, save, etc. Just put a green plus in there! Thanks!

• Thanks for the feedback, @ChadScott! I'll add your vote. :)

• Utgoff
    Utgoff
    Community Member
    Options

I'd also like to add my voice for a little green plus to add form fields. Surely most users will not ever need it, but then since the feature is "hidden" by default, there should be no harm in putting it there for those users that DO want to use it. (Like us sysadmins who have a multitude of AWS logins for instance...)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Utgoff,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. :)

• SOLESHOE
    SOLESHOE
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

+1 for me too

Some forms require more than 2 fields to login, and though I can see all fields in form details, only 2 of them are displayed and used as Id/Pw in 1 password main login section. Actually, I would need 4 fields to login to a government entrepreneurs website, in a specific order... Allowing drag'n drop from form details to main 1Password login section would resolve this issue I guess.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SOLESHOE,

Thanks for letting us know! I'll be happy to let our developers know you'd also like to be able to manually add web form details in Login items. However, I'd just like to mention that even though 1Password only shows the "username" and "password" fields in the main section of a Login item, it will try to fill the form on that website by using the web form details that are saved in that item. As Megan mentioned above, "Ideally, you shouldn't need to add any web-form details, because they should be saved correctly by 1Password in the first place."

If 1Password isn't filling all the fields of a login form correctly on a website (for example, if it has trouble correctly filling all 4 fields on the government entrepreneurs website you mentioned), you can usually solve that by following these steps to save a new Login item for that site. When you follow those steps, 1Password will save the form details from those fields in a new Login item, so it should be able to fill all the fields correctly for you.

Now, there are certainly valid reasons for wanting/needing to be able to manually add new web form details to an existing Login item, but in most cases, it's easier to save a new Login item so all the correct web form details are automatically saved for you.

If you have more questions about that, please let us know! :)

• volte
    volte
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding my +1. Tried all the suggestions here, but AWS is still proving difficult. Seems like a pretty ridiculous little bug/lack of feature.

Thanks for working on this devs, :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@volte: Thanks for your vote! 1Password isn't meant to have this data added manually, but it's certainly a feature we might add in a future version. :)

• Utgoff
    Utgoff
    Community Member
    Options

Double, super, mega, EXTRA thanks for bringing in this feature (OPM-429) in 5.4.0 (yes I've been reading the release notes)! As a power user who has a.... multitude of AWS accounts to login to and who knows enough HTML to spot when providers change their login forms, I am very excited to use this feature immediately!

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha you're most welcome! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying not only the new version, but also its release notes. ;)

I know this was a bit of a sore spot for some of us as well, also with AWS logins, so I think it's safe to say that this is a case of 'everybody wins'. I really appreciate your patience, and that you've taken the time to follow up here. That's why we do what we do. Thanks for being awesome! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.