1Password for Mac Safari Browser Extension Trumped By 1Password Mini

Options
chazzunokuthunuchtec
chazzunokuthunuchtec
Community Member

Please help get Safari to use the browser extension before it tries to use the 1Password Mini option.
I use 1Password 4 for Mac (Mavericks) with the Safari browser extension, but the functionality I remembered liking seems to be gone in the new version. I enjoyed the previous 1Password Safari browser extension functionality, usable by either clicking the key icon in the Safari browser, or by using ⌘. But now as I use ⌘\ it doesn't appear use the browser extension, but instead uses the 1Password Mini; and on domains where I have more than one 1Password login saved the drop-down now comes from 1Password Mini. It's less convenient to move the mouse to the "mini" when the browser extension is where I'm looking. I would prefer if it would default to the browser extension, and [when applicable] have the drop-down appear from the browser extension. I can still click the browser extension, but it seems the 1Password 4 now trumps the browser extension using the "mini" app.
Another thing: it's currently not immediately obvious that I can copy the password or username by clicking on the password itself. I would prefer if it included a mouse-over option that would show the copy/reveal options.
One more note: I removed and re-installed 1Password 4 in hopes to not allow 1Password Mini, and I declined when the program invited me to allow it; but the first time I used ⌘\ it installed 1Password Mini anyway.

Comments

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

Uncheck the preference option to show 1pw mini in the menubar. That does not kill 1pw mini, which needs to run for the browser feature to work, and it can still be accessed with opt-cmd-. However, it does cause the browser/mini menu to pop up much closer to the middle of your screen when you press cmd-\ or cmd-opt-. This saves you a little menubar space also. Alternatively, you can right click your mouse in your browser window and select 1password from the contextual menu to cause the 1pw menu to pop up at your cursor location.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

Will it not use the browser extension, then? Including showing the drop-down from the extension? Unless I am mis-understanding it sounds like the 1Password browser extension is not used at all. I know I can still use the extension, but if 1Password will not (ie, using ⌘) then the extension seems to be of little use.
    Also, is the only way to reveal passwords now going to be through the main app? Additionally, if I see the desired login and click the arrow so that I go into it, I wonder about copying and revealing the password. Is the only way to copy the password by clicking on the password itself? I would have thought that clicking the password would cause the extension (or the mini) to fill that password in, but it seems to copy the password by clicking it (not intuitive). There used to be an icon which represented copying it to the clipboard. NOTE: I like that 1Password clears the password out of the clipboard after a very short time.
    I have very few logins which I cannot satisfy by using ⌘\, but there still exist some where I must manually copy in the username and/or password else either the password goes in without a username or no data goes in.

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

The extension and mini are essentially one and the same for 1pw4. That allows you to now have access to the 1pw pop-up menu systemwide (with cmd-opt-) rather than just in a browser. You can launch the browser extension with cmd-\ when your browser is frontmost. The issue is that 1pw extension/mini don't know where the mouse is when you use cmd-\ so it puts the menu near the menubar key. Changing the pref I mentioned causes the menu to open nearer the middle of the screen.

Pressing the option key in the popup menu will reveal the password. Yes, clicking on it copies it. Clicking on the login item itself, not the User ID or PW will cause it to fill in as in the past.. Additionally you can click the anchor icon to keep the item open while you switch back to an app if you need to manually copy something.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

Thank you oshloel. I'm glad for fast responses, and helpful ones, like yours. You mentioned I can launch the browser extension with ⌘\ when the browser is frontmost; but this doesn't seem to happen. It still seems to wonderfully launch mini, as if not showing it hasn't affected it. I'd like to suggest that the pop-up be in the extension if the browser is frontmost and active, and that it can launch mini when the browser is not front-most. Else require mini to have a different keyboard shortcut altogether, such as opt-⌘\ or control-⌘. Is there an official page to make requests such as this? Else if you work in AgileBits perhaps you may help submit it internally?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chazzunokuthunuchtec,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

I'm glad to hear that @oshloel was able to help answer most of your questions. I'd like to explain just a bit more about the browser extension in 1Password 4 to clarify things a bit for you.

In 1Password 4, 1Password Mini is the brains behind the extension. The browser extension itself only executes the autofill command. A simpler browser extension means a more stable experience for users because this extension is less likely to stop working when a browser is updated: less processing in the browser means less code to get broken when the browser changes. :)

I'd also like to point out that invoking the Mini and the extension provides the same menu of information, it's simply an issue of where this pop-up window is displayed. Now, because Mini is a separate process outside of the browser, we can no longer detect where the browser extension is on the screen unless you have clicked the key to activate it. This is why the pop-up window will appear below the Mini and not the browser extension will open when using ⌘. If you use the shortcut with the Mini hidden, the Mini/extension window will pop up in the centre of your screen.

I hope this helps to explain the situation a bit more. We have heard feedback from other users with respect to this issue as well, and we'll see what we can do to improve this functionality in the future.

This discussion has been closed.