Export generates a file with your data in plaintext?

Options
semblance
semblance
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

While copying/moving data between vaults remains unimplemented, I understand that the current workaround is to export your data from one vault and import it into the other.

When you export items, 1Password generates a file in ".1pif" format — which contains all the data in plaintext.

Obviously you need to delete this file after you've completed the copy/move operation :-)

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but what is the residual risk of the plaintext data in the .1pif being:

1. indexed by Spotlight
  2. backed up by Time Machine
  3. cached somewhere
  4. forgotten about
  5. etc?

Comments

• @semblance

While copying/moving data between vaults remains unimplemented, I understand that the current workaround is to export your data from one vault and import it into the other.

You've actually always been able to copy data between vaults.

Send items from one vault to another

To send a particular item to a different vault, select the item and use the Item > Share menu, then select the vault name.

As an alternative to the menu option, you can click the Share icon in the item’s details pane, then select the vault in the menu.

When you export items, 1Password generates a file in ".1pif" format — which contains all the data in plaintext.

Yes, that's correct. There are cases where exporting to a .1pif file are necessary, plus it allows you to export your data from 1Password so you're never locked in.

Obviously you need to delete this file after you've completed the copy/move operation

To securely delete the unencrypted 1PIF file in Finder:

1. Empty your trash (Finder > Empty Trash). (This will ensure that only the 1PIF is securely deleted since the process takes a long time and there is likely no need to securely delete all of the items in your trash.)
    2. Move the 1PIF file to the trash (File > Move to Trash).
    3. Securely empty your trash (Finder > Secure Empty Trash).
  • semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi @JasperP, actually I first came across multiple vaults in the Beta, and it was stated then that copying data between vaults was not yet implemented. However it is now working just the way you said, which is great news — so thanks for that, and for the other info as well.

• @semblance You're welcome! :)

actually I first came across multiple vaults in the Beta, and it was stated then that copying data between vaults was not yet implemented.

Right. In the release version, it has always been implemented. Sorry, didn't realize you had been using the beta.

This discussion has been closed.